The Avengers (Spoilers!)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I'm going to see Marvel's The Avengers tomorrow night and I expect Hulk to SMASH most heartily.

If you've seen it, here's our official review and discussion thread, so have at it.

What did you think?

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
Absolutely mind-blowingly amazing. So, so, right.

I'll be seeing it again as soon as possible.

Also, stay untilt the lights come on. don't assume I mean anything else. Stay until the lights come on,

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I saw this movie today and it definitely exceeded my expectations. It is a top-notch, well-scripted, well-acted, humorous and action-filled movie fit for the entire family. It is indeed that good and just like west3man stated, do not leave the theatre until you've seen the footage AFTER the scrolling of the film's credits.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

kshen1

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm watching it tomorrow. I didn't read any of the posts because it said "SPOILERS", but I'll share my opinion on on it tomorrow after I watch it! Hopefully its good.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It was terrific. Whedon did an incredible job balancing the action and humor, tearing the characters apart and building them back up. He nailed the Avengers start to finish.

There were so many awesome moments I've almost lost count. Absolutely the best Hulk ever put to screen. The fights were brilliantly done. Dialog was sharp. And he brought the pain.

My one question is -- after setting up the combo powers in the forest fight scene, why didn't he use them in the big end battle? Thor charging Iron Man to 400% and Thor hitting Cap's vibranium shield to create a concussion blast would have been a good payoff to the forest fight, and good set pieces for the end battle. Really odd not to use them.

But hey, why nitpick brilliance?

I'll be seeing it a good dozen times.

matthewmspace

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Saw it at midnight today. Fantastic! Hilarity mixed with great action scenes. This movie seriously lived up to the hype. And they (well, spoilers are allowed here) are clearly setting up for a second one based on that after credits scene. Can't wait for the precursors to that being Thor 2, Captain America 2, Iron Man 3, and other movies.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, I have to watch it again. Too many brats at the cinema today...

But, I will say this, I was under the impression that only Hulk could stop Thor's hammer, no?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iVazz

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
It was terrific. Whedon did an incredible job balancing the action and humor, tearing the characters apart and building them back up. He nailed the Avengers start to finish.

There were so many awesome moments I've almost lost count. Absolutely the best Hulk ever put to screen. The fights were brilliantly done. Dialog was sharp. And he brought the pain.

My one question is -- after setting up the combo powers in the forest fight scene, why didn't he use them in the big end battle? Thor charging Iron Man to 400% and Thor hitting Cap's vibranium shield to create a concussion blast would have been a good payoff to the forest fight, and good set pieces for the end battle. Really odd not to use them.

But hey, why nitpick brilliance?

I'll be seeing it a good dozen times.

Agreed, it was very well done. Wonder if that was Apocalypse at the end? As far as combos in the last big fight toward the end, Iron Man combo'd off of Cap's shield at one point. Hulk just SMASHED. When Hulk punched Thor I cracked up. Was too funny.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk.

iSmileyFace

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I saw it today and I thought it was brilliant. Definitely one of my favorite movies of all time!<3

I actually felt myself caring for the characters and felt that inner excitement when they were arguing on the flying aircraft before it blew up. I also found the fight scenes VERY good. Instead of the characters randomly killing and shooting people up, it was actually full of action and interesting to see how each Avenger would fight.

The effects were great, the dialog, acting, plot, everything was great! Captain America is definitely my favorite Avenger of all time<3

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Another aspect I'm having trouble reconciling in hindsight is the switch in the Hulk's character from his blind, rage-filled attack on Black Widow on the Helicarrier and his "team player" attitude (with minor mean streak) in the final battle.

Might have been better to have the Helicarrier fight have started off as a misunderstanding. Black Widow firing at the Hulk out fear, him responding, then saving her from some attackers only to have Thor get confused and attack Hulk, thus starting their fight.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Another aspect I'm having trouble reconciling in hindsight is the switch in the Hulk's character from his blind, rage-filled attack on Black Widow on the Helicarrier and his "team player" attitude (with minor mean streak) in the final battle.

Might have been better to have the Helicarrier fight have started off as a misunderstanding. Black Window firing at the Hulk out fear, him responding, then saving her from some attackers only to have Thor get confused and attack Hulk, thus starting their fight.

But remember that Bruce Banner confessed that his ability to control himself was his 'secret' and therefore, I think that his initial unleashing at the Black Widow was because he saw the fear in her eyes and gave her what she and everyone else expected; uncontrolled rage.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
There's an argument to be made that Banner transformed into the Hulk unintentionally at the beginning and intentionally at the end, and that influenced his level of control, but either way, that wasn't made clear by the story telling.

He turned into the Hulk and tried to kill the Black Widow at the beginning. He turned into the Hulk and fought as a team member at the end.

Maybe it got cut for time reasons, but we needed an arc or moment to explain that transition.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
He was in control on the Helicarrier, they were all pissed at each other, he just happened to give in. They were all about to smash each others faces in, Cap wanted Tony to suit up so they could go a few rounds. There was nothing unintentional about his transformation on the ship. If you watch the last Hulk film which is in continuity, it is strongly implied he already has control at the end of that film.

Oh and it was obviously Thanos at the end, it looked exactly like him.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Why would Banner/Hulk be pissed enough at Black Widow at that moment to want to kill or cripple her? If they'd had her tearing into him before the attack, that would have been better set up.

They did an *amazing* job of making Hulk something everyone feared -- the time bomb he himself referenced. Widow's fear in the cabin at the beginning. The jokes in the lab that weren't jokes.

It was an incredible set up, and having the monster unleashed payed that off. (A controlled Hulk then and there wouldn't have). The audience was trained to expect disaster if the Hulk appeared. It created excellent tension.

Maybe it is in the cut footage, but it doesn't seem like controlled Hulk got set up in the theatrical cut.

JWalker75

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
If you recall Black Widow found out that Loki was after using the Hulk. You see Banner grabing his head when Loki gets there. Banner grabbing the staff off the table. My guess it was Loki in his head turning the heat up, by the looks on everyones face they where all affected.