Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

5 Posts

Default Netflix

Hey guys,

So I have a quick question, I currently have an iPhone 4 and I recently signed up for a Netflix free trial promotion - basically you get $10 to sign up for a Netflix free trial then you can decide if you want to keep it or not. The thing is I travel a lot, and I run my iphone on 3G very often. Will Netflix eat up all my data plan if I don't use it on Wifi?

StudentRate - Deal / Netflix Student Discounts
    Last edited by LearyLAZ; 06-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    iMore Genius

8,505 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

Pretty much. Streaming video uses a lot of data...
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts

Ohhh yea, as fausty said, streaming data means downloading the info from the server itself in real time constantly. So your constantly using up data.
    iMore Guru

1,922 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,654 Global Posts

Red face

Let's put it this way: I use YouTube, Sirius and Netflix a lot off wifi and I usually blaze through 7-9GB of data a month.
    Q&A Jedi

3,349 Posts
    Global Posts
    38,362 Global Posts

YES video streaming eats data alive!!!! I think Netflix is well worth it, BUT I use it on all my devices and mostly via wifi. The best use of it, is with a set top box, AppleTV, Roku, etc, or an internet TV, like those made by Samsung and Sony. I just started watching Saturday Night Live from season 1, episode 1 on it, and I finished up all seasons of Sliders about a week ago. SNL will take me years since there are 37 seasons, but Sliders only had 5 so that just took a few months.
    iPhone Beginner

76 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Very poor selection of streaming movies. Also they had just lost Starz so the selection is going to be even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Adam View Post
    Very poor selection of streaming movies. Also they had just lost Starz so the selection is going to be even worse.
    Still, it is cheap enough to keep and easy to cancel, if necessary. To the OP, I have Netflix installed only on my iPad that I view every now and then via Wi-Fi. Most of the time I watch Netflix is via the built-in interface of my Blu-ray disc player that is a part of my home theatre system. The only videos I view on my iPhone are the Mobile Nation's iPhone & iPad Live videos, news related videos and YouTube videos on occasion. Streaming, as others have already stated, uses a good deal of data so unless you have an unlimited data plan, I would try to watch Netflix via Wi-Fi only.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)