What happened to the D.A.R.E. program?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Good stats, but comparing today’s generation to that of “grandparents” is a stretch.

Yea, maybe. The gap is there for all years but not as wide if we leave the 60s and move into the 80s or the 90s. I guess I started the people I have these discussions with offline came up in the 60s and 70s. So it's always fun to hear their perspective.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement because wisdom will always trump knowledge. Sure, times change, people change, but life’s circumstances/struggles remain unchanged. No one goes through life without having choices to make and obstacles to overcome. Those same kids can’t wait to be an adult and do their own things without having to have their parents’ consent and without having to listen to their parents try to tell them what they should do so they go out into the world only to find out that it’s not all peachy. They learn that the “real world” their parents were trying to warn them about is actually real. They learn that landlords do not care if you don’t have a job. They’ll evict you if you don’t pay. The electric company doesn’t care if your paycheck was a little short. They’ll turn off the power if you don’t pay. Yes, loans are to be repaid, whether car loans, mortgage loans, personal loans or student loans

All of that is separate to the fact that our parents and grandparents didn't grow up under the same economic climate and pressures as today. Honestly that isn't a diss to anyone either. Quite frankly, someone who hasn't had the same experiences as you isn't as qualified to tell you how to handle things. Time's were different. Life was simpler. I hear it from my grandparents all the time. Frequently, I've been told, "I don't know how you kids do it these days" Lol. Some things never change. Work hard. Pay back what is owed. Go to work. Respect others. Some things are constant and will never change and that's what you're referencing. You're referencing the fundamentals that all of us should abide by. But my grandparents can't give me advice on how to apply for jobs these days. Or what skills we should focus on to remain competitive in todays workforce. Or what to major in when we go off to school. I've had full on debates with older folks with the belief that a college degree is the end all be all. And so they were recommending a younger family member to run off and get his degree in Arts and Music because to them, it's all about "going off to college to get a good job" and I'm sitting here like, "No...that major is going to get you a lot of debt for little return." But they didn't grow up in a time where they had to deal with the harsh realities of paying back insane student loan amounts because your schools told you that getting a degree is all you needed without actually advising you about the kind of degree that offers the best value. It's no coincidence that student loan default rates are on the rise year over year. Our parents/grandparents aren't prepared for this world. We are all tech savvy here. But a lot of 40-60 year olds who have spent their whole lives at one employer would be lost if they had to jump into the job market today. My wife worked in recruitment for a staffing agency and a lot of her day was working with middle aged (40-60) year old folks on how to survive in todays job market. How to market themselves and go about applying. You can't just pick up a newspaper anymore. Your online presence is growing more and more important. Job hopping is something millennial have down to a science lol. Income increases far more quickly when you job hop and there are a lot of recent studies discussing this trend. The idea of job hopping still scares baby boomers lol. Different times.

Wisdom also means knowing when one is not knowledgable about something. So I agree, wisdom will always trump knowledge. But a badge of wisdom doesn't come just because one is older.

I agree, but both sides have to be open to the other. You can’t just hear what you to hear and discard what you don’t want to hear.

This is true. But the presentation and delivery of information is equally important. It seems like at times, the older generation would rather talk AT the younger generation than talk WITH them. Doesn't really matter how old anyone is. Nobody has this life thing figured out. Older folks can learn from younger folks just as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea, maybe. The gap is there for all years but not as wide if we leave the 60s and move into the 80s or the 90s. I guess I started the people I have these discussions with offline came up in the 60s and 70s. So it's always fun to hear their perspective.

All of that is separate to the fact that our parents and grandparents didn't grow up under the same economic climate and pressures as today. Honestly that isn't a diss to anyone either. Quite frankly, someone who hasn't had the same experiences as you isn't as qualified to tell you how to handle things. Time's were different. Life was simpler. I hear it from my grandparents all the time. Frequently, I've been told, "I don't know how you kids do it these days" Lol. Some things never change. Work hard. Pay back what is owed. Go to work. Respect others. Some things are constant and will never change and that's what you're referencing. You're referencing the fundamentals that all of us should abide by. But my grandparents can't give me advice on how to apply for jobs these days. Or what skills we should focus on to remain competitive in todays workforce. Or what to major in when we go off to school. I've had full on debates with older folks with the belief that a college degree is the end all be all. And so they were recommending a younger family member to run off and get his degree in Arts and Music because to them, it's all about "going off to college to get a good job" and I'm sitting here like, "No...that major is going to get you a lot of debt for little return." But they didn't grow up in a time where they had to deal with the harsh realities of paying back insane student loan amounts because your schools told you that getting a degree is all you needed without actually advising you about the kind of degree that offers the best value. It's no coincidence that student loan default rates are on the rise year over year. Our parents/grandparents aren't prepared for this world. We are all tech savvy here. But a lot of 40-60 year olds who have spent their whole lives at one employer would be lost if they had to jump into the job market today. My wife worked in recruitment for a staffing agency and a lot of her day was working with middle aged (40-60) year old folks on how to survive in todays job market. How to market themselves and go about applying. You can't just pick up a newspaper anymore. Your online presence is growing more and more important. Job hopping is something millennial have down to a science lol. Income increases far more quickly when you job hop and there are a lot of recent studies discussing this trend. The idea of job hopping still scares baby boomers lol. Different times.

Wisdom also means knowing when one is not knowledgable about something. So I agree, wisdom will always trump knowledge. But a badge of wisdom doesn't come just because one is older.

This is true. But the presentation and delivery of information is equally important. It seems like at times, the older generation would rather talk AT the younger generation than talk WITH them. Doesn't really matter how old anyone is. Nobody has this life thing figured out. Older folks can learn from younger folks just as well.

Excellent comeback, sir. Well done!

mina10000

Jan 30, 2019
Visit site
I had a neighborhood cop from the D.A.R.E. program go to my class amid third, fourth, and fifth grade, mid-90's. I previously had a little suspicion of a thought that medications could be unsafe from my folks. This got imparted into me more from D.A.R.E. I really have contemplated Mr. Chavez (the officer) amid the years since. I'm willing to wager that not every person in my classes really thought of the risks of medications at all and are tranquilize clients.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Another good resource for drug education and prevention is the work of 12 step fellowships, like Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and Cocaine Anonymous. We sometimes run panels at schools (also at hospitals, rehabs, etc), where AA (or NA, or CA) members will share there own experiences with drug or alcohol abuse, and their recovery. I'm clean and sober myself for 16.5 years.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Haven’t heard about this program for years. What do they do now? It doesn’t look like they managed to help kids get off drugs because the drug problem is still significant in the US.

DARE is still active around here. Also, hello and welcome to iMore. It's nice to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here! Also, when you get a chance, please take a minute to review iMore's Community Rules and Guidelines: https://forums.imore.com/site-feedback-help/385947-community-rules-guidelines.html#post2913734

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It is still around but my now 18-21 year olds got far better education in their upbringing and from the school district here. A work experience some hears ago explained to me how it was controversial and not so effective. The officers who did it bought all sorts of technology from my employer, had special vehicles, and my kids' school district and others in the area did a really good job without that expense.

My wife a 32 years teacher of troubled kids pointed out the trust between teacher and kids worked better. The kids had trust and respect with teachers they new vs an officer coming in for short periods. The teachers could keep the message going far longer than the 45 minute sessions from the officers, and know who needed some extra attention or care and who not.

Our now 18-21 kids have made good choices and their school district did a super job in challenging times so I don't feel they missed anything and likely got more with the changes made.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy