SMB connection problem... ok download slow upload...

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
MacMini M1 8GB BigSur 11.2 To iMac 16GB BigSur 11.2.1 with smb connection accès by Finder don’t work and cut the internet...
Got to reboot to regain it...

If I connect smb server with Files from my iPad Pro I can download at 40 to 60MB/sec downloading from the iMac or the MacMini.

But I’m stuck a 4 to 6MB/sec if I try to uploading to the iMac or MacMini...

Anyone with that problem ?

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If I understand correctly, the iPad Pro is uploading at a higher rate than the iMac or Mac mini? While download rates are approximately the same range ~ 40-60MB/sec from the SMB server to the iPad Pro, iMac and Mac mini.

In general writing data is a slower operation than reading data, so this is probably a reason for why the 4 to 6MB/sec is encountered.

There are other factors and variables that could be at play such as if the network is wired or wireless, if the SMB server is busy working on other requests during uploads, if others are using the network and so on.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe it’s BigSur the problem.
When my iMac was on Mojave both download and upload via smb where in the 40-60MB !

Since I upgrade iMac to BigSur upload is stuck at 4-6MB...

Hope Apple will do something about that !

But I would like to know if other have that problem ?

iMac and MacMini-M1 are Ethernet.
My iPad Pro 11 2020 is wifi
My router is NETGEAR Orbi-RBR750 WIFI-6

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn’t experience that with my Intel Mac on Big Sur earlier this week. I transferred close to 200GB from an AFP source to a SMB3 destination, through the Mac. I averaged around 200-300Mbps (20-30MB/s).

I happen to be running the beta of Big Sur, so it’s either a defect on the current version, or something that is M1 Mac specific.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I didn’t experience that with my Intel Mac on Big Sur earlier this week. I transferred close to 200GB from an AFP source to a SMB3 destination, through the Mac. I averaged around 200-300Mbps (20-30MB/s).

I happen to be running the beta of Big Sur, so it’s either a defect on the current version, or something that is M1 Mac specific.

AFP is no longer offert in BigSur...
So your source is not on BigSur ?

How can you see what SMB? version your Mac is running ?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
AFP is no longer offert in BigSur...
So your source is not on BigSur ?

How can you see what SMB? version your Mac is running ?

macOS Big Sur still supports all three of AFP, NFS and SMB as a client - at least on Intel computers. It does not offer support for AFP as a server.

I happen to know that it is AFP on the source because I initiated the connection. The source was an Apple Time Capsule, which only allows connections over AFP (it also supports SMB1, which is absent by default on both modern Windows and macOS).

And my destination was a Windows Server 2019 that supports SMB3. SMB has been designed to use the highest common supported dialect, which is SMB3 with both macOS Big Sur and Windows Server 2019.

The two screenshots below are from network traffic captures between my Mac on macOS Big Sur and my Windows Server 2019 server. It shows what dialects macOS Big Sur supports for SMB (SMB 2.0.2 to 3.1.1) and what it elected to use: SMB 3.1.1. I also did a transfer to confirm it. All personally identifiable information has been redacted for privacy purposes.
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 21.00.09.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 21.08.31.png

P.S.: Do you speak French? Because your autocorrect might have corrected some words like "offered" and "access" by "offert" and "accès" respectively ;)

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes I’m French-Canadian and a newbie compare to you I’m sure !
Sorry for my laborious English writing...

But if you upload a big file 500MB or more from a computer windows or Mac to the BigSur Mac by only SMB does the speed is lower or normal for you ?

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I also have FTP server on the iMac and MacMiniM1 both BigSur.

With GoodReader on iPad Pro if I connect to the FTP server and download a file on my iPad I got 30-40MB speed but when I try to upload a file to the server I got 3-4MB...

So SMB et FTP are slow on upload since BigSur...

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes I’m French-Canadian and a newbie compare to you I’m sure !
Sorry for my laborious English writing…
No worries :)
I happen to be bilingual Canadian English and Canadian French. And I'm a Systems Administrator by trade, so it helps! :)

But if you upload a big file 500MB or more from a computer windows or Mac to the BigSur Mac by only SMB does the speed is lower or normal for you ?

Here's a screenshot of a test upload I was doing to my MacBook Pro on macOS Big Sur.
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 22.01.58.png

What are your devices connections? Are any on WiFi?

For this test, in my case, it was: Windows Server 2019 <-> Wired Ethernet (through multiple network switches) <-> Router, Firewall and Intrusion Prevention System <-> Wired Ethernet (through multiple network switches <-> Late 2016 MacBook Pro

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
iMac 2018 and MacMini-M1 are On Ethernet 1000 connected to NETGEAR ORBi RBR-750 router.

79MB wow !

I don’t know what's my problem...

The iMac is upstair connected by a 100feet Ethernet 5E cable...
And this installation is more than 5 years old...

Maybe I need a new cable...

I will bring the iMac down near the router with a new short cable just to test that option...

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok it was not a problem of Ethernet cable !
It was because I didn’t start my MacMiniM1 as new...
I imported my old MacMini Intel config...

I did a factory reset and started my M1 as new !

Now my smb speed is back !

Not as fast as you (79MB/sec) but from 3MB/sec to 40-50MB/sec and that from my iPad Pro wifi to MacMiniM1 Ethernet !

I will reformat my iMac also and start has new !

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Wow my FTP server speed is in 70-80MB/sec uploading from my iPad prod GoodReader wifi to my MacMiniM1 Ethernet !!!

And from the M1 downloading to my iPad GoodReader FTP the speed is much better 95-105MB/sec !!!
And of coarse my iPad Pro is on wifi !

Now I know, always start your new Mac as NEW !!!

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That’s great to hear! It’s possible that some incompatible setting was imported.

WiFi will lead to unreliable speed results, because you’re adding environmental variables (e.g.: distance, neighbours, walls, interference, etc.)

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
That’s great to hear! It’s possible that some incompatible setting was imported.

WiFi will lead to unreliable speed results, because you’re adding environmental variables (e.g.: distance, neighbours, walls, interference, etc.)

Well I’m in the same room with the router so no walls !
And around 12 feet far...

But I’m happy !

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I reinstalled Norton 360 and then the slow smb and FTP in uploading on the local network is back...

If I turn off firewall of Norton FTP is back to speed but not SMB...

Firewall of BigSur is on.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You do not need Norton 360. Mac anti-malware apps in general are unnecessary, especially ones that are running always in the background. Free yourself from this Windows-thinking.

Donkichot

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You do not need Norton 360. Mac anti-malware apps in general are unnecessary, especially ones that are running always in the background. Free yourself from this Windows-thinking.

I turn Norton 360 Off for the moment...
Norton is aware of the problem so I will wait for an update...

But I’m really thinking to go without it...!

The problem is, I just started a year subscription yesterday...