[REVIEW] Peel Case for iPhone X

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Overview

zhNvjs

While Peel is not my first foray into super slim phone cases, it was a little bit of a letdown. I previously had a Caudabe Veil for my 7 Plus and that was much easier to put on and had better grip than the Peel. That being said, once the Peel is installed it fits perfectly, which is something the Caudabe didn't do. I do like the concept behind the Peel case, I like a super thin case. My problem with the Peel is how tight it is to put on and how slick the back of the case is. If you have a large phone, you can easily drop your phone in a Peel case. I would very much like to see Peel add some kind of grippy texture to the back. Doing that would easily make it one of my favorite minimal cases. The TPU material Peel uses feel very nice, it's soft to the touch, however, it is also pretty brittle. I chose the silver option to not only match my iPhone but also because it's the most translucent and you can still easily see the back of your phone through the case.

All the cutouts are done very well and you won't have to worry about third-party cables being too big because the case is so thin. I mentioned how the TPU of the Peel is brittle and the case is hard to install. I almost broke my Peel the first time I tried to put it on. It took me longer than I would have liked. I even followed the directions that Peel gives you. I found the easiest way to install it is starting at the bottom like Peel says, then pulling back a little on the camera cutout to control it over the camera. The biggest thing to remember is that Peel is not made to be a super protective case and is only meant to protect from small drops and scratches. As worried as I was about the slick back of the Peel case, I've found it's not as bad as I thought. My biggest issue is actually with wrong button presses when trying to take a screenshot. Below is a picture of the corner of the Peel that I messed up when I was installing it. You can see there's a line there, it almost looks like it was meant to be there, but it's not.

sSeVqb

The Good
  • Fairly inexpensive
  • Great fit
  • Unobtrusive

The Bad
  • Not very protective
  • TPU is a little brittle
  • Harder to put on than it needs to be

iBsUsw

Conclusion
As I said earlier, the Peel case is for people who want minimal protection in a minimal design without sacrificing the look and feel of their phone. If you're okay with the slick back and how brittle the TPU can be, the Peel is a nice option. I'm still a little indifferent on the Peel, I'll spend more time with it and if there's anything else that really jumps out at me, I'll update this review. For now, I really like how well it matches my phone and that I can still see my phone through the case. I also like how soft the TPU feels, it's not a harder plastic feel. If you want to buy a Peel you can buy them directly from Peel for $25 right here.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
So Peel sounds a lot like the Elago I had on my S8+. I liked it, but didn't last long. After taking it off and putting it back on the 3rd time the bit in front of the volume buttons basically broke. I'm using the Totallee on my X. It seems to be holding up better than I thought. Have you tried their thin cases?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So Peel sounds a lot like the Elago I had on my S8+. I liked it, but didn't last long. After taking it off and putting it back on the 3rd time the bit in front of the volume buttons basically broke. I'm using the Totallee on my X. It seems to be holding up better than I thought. Have you tried their thin cases?

I have not tried a Totalee yet, only Peel and Caudabe.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I got fooled once by Peel, and never again. You are paying far too much for essentially a construction paper thin material. You could buy a skin or a different/better case for the price they charge.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a couple Peel cases for my prior 7+ but didn't really use them too much. My biggest concern was how then they were and the level of protection you get or don't get. I know its the basis of their cases, to be as thin as possible which was ok when I put my phone into my Bellroy All Conditions Wallet which is great with a minimal thickness case. However given the cost to repair an X even with AppleCare+ it's a concern so I opted not to get this case.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the review! I had a Peel case for iPhone 7 Plus and liked how minimalist it was. In fact, I had multiple people comment on how they couldn’t believe I had a case because it was so unnoticeable. I agree that the TPU is a little flimsy. Mine wore out pretty quickly.

Idelgado782

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
I just received my PEEL case this weekend and I’m really liking it so far. I love minimalistic cases and the peel is just that. I like the texture of the case as well. It is true that it’s only supposed to protect from MINOR drops and falls. But I liked the case so much I took advantage of their Black Friday bogo. Got the jet black and frosted white. Can post pics when I get them if you like

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77