Report: Apple struggling to help homeless people cleared from encampment

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some people tend to get upset when you discuss matters regarding the homeless. Their heart is in the right place, but they dismiss or fail to pay attention to some of the core issues seldom discussed.

As someone who has dealt with the homeless for a long time, it was good to see this piece of information in the article:

“….. and overcoming obstacles such as arrests, addictions, and other medical and mental health needs.”

Those are things that affect more homeless folks than people realize so it’s not surprising to me that Apple is finding it difficult to help some of them. They are learning that some of them do not want to be helped or do not want to give up their current way of life.

Many homeless people will tell you they are completely free. They know where to go to get food, shelter, clothing and work when they want to. For the record, I’m not talking about the people who are homeless temporarily or know they will be homeless temporarily.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Some people tend to get upset when you discuss matters regarding the homeless. Their heart is in the right place, but they dismiss or fail to pay attention to some of the core issues seldom discussed.

As someone who has dealt with the homeless for a long time, it was good to see this piece of information in the article:

“….. and overcoming obstacles such as arrests, addictions, and other medical and mental health needs.”

Those are things that affect more homeless folks than people realize so it’s not surprising to me that Apple is finding it difficult to help some of them. They are learning that some of them do not want to be helped or do not want to give up their current way of life.

Many homeless people will tell you they are completely free. They know where to go to get food, shelter, clothing and work when they want to. For the record, I’m not talking about the people who are homeless temporarily or know they will be homeless temporarily.

That’s a lot of stuff ! also for the record, you can’t fix it, alleviate,maybe.
I was referring to the stories of Apple employees who could not afford to pay silicon valley rents and who were living in tents and cars miles from home, rather than facing ridiculous commutes, a problem fuel prices today will not lessen.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Well said! My husband I have volunteered at a food pantry for years. Many of our clients are either temporarily homeless or have been homeless for a long time. Most want help, but there are a few who seem "content" with their current lifestyle. It's heartbreaking, and when winter hits and we have snow and ice, it's even worse. At least Apple is making a valiant effort... partnering with an organization, and offering temporary housing, and programs that will help people get back on their feet. Sadly, there will always be there who end up breaking the rules, because of addiction or mental health issues.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the stories of Apple employees who could not afford to pay silicon valley rents and who were living in tents and cars miles from home, rather than facing ridiculous commutes, a problem fuel prices today will not lessen.

Please don’t think my reply was directed at you because it wasn’t. I read the article and then I was moved to make my comments.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

In regard to your comment, the Apple employees who were living in tents and cars miles away from home are not homeless. I assume they are well-paid, but simply live far from the campus. Before the pandemic, those same people commuted back and forth to work.

I agree that increased fuel, rent, food and merchandise prices are placing a heavy burden on people, but this is NOT limited to Apple employees. This is happening across the U.S.

Sure Apple could make things somewhat bearable by allowing everyone to work from home, but they don’t have to. In addition, just because people have learned they could do their job remotely doesn’t mean they should.

I know some people will call my way of thinking “outdated”, “antiquated” and downright “unfriendly”. Nope. I’m simply reminding people that an “employee” is not the same as an “employer”.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77