Questions on going from Pixel 2 to Iphone X?

lindseybp

Feb 28, 2018
Visit site
So I have been a devout Android user from day 1. I have never owned an iphone. I currently have a pixel 2 and really like it but it does have it's quirks. My wife is all apple, macbook pro/ipad/iphone 7. I just transitioned to a macbook pro for work and use an ipad pro for work. I'm seriously considering switching to the Iphone X. I was wondering if anyone else has transitioned from a pixel to an Iphone X and what your experience has been?

I do have a few questions though. One of my favorite things on the pixel is the google now feature. This is where I swipe right and it pulls up lists of articles and tailors itself to my interested, etc. Does the iphone have something similar?

Probably my biggest hesitation on the iphone X is the face ID. I have seen stories of people saying it is not reliable and people saying it is reliable. It's hard to know what to believe. I'm assuming it's pretty reliable since I have not heard anything major and also rumors seem to be pointing to the fact that Apple may be "all in" on face ID if the rumors of this years phones all having it are true. I'm interested in what the experience has been for folks.

I use the camera on my phone a lot and I think the Iphone X will be very similar to my Pixel 2 so no worries there.

It would be nice to be able to face time with my wife when she is on the road for work as right now we have to use Duo since I am on Android. Also, if we both have iphones can we also send imessages via our laptops? For example if my wife is on a plane with her macbook and on their wifi and I am at hoe on my macbook can we imessage between our computers even though neither of us would be on our iphones?

I know this is a long post with lots of questions but it would be a big switch for me and just trying to get a good understanding of the differences/strengths/weaknesses if I decide to make the switch.

Any opinions or thoughts are appreciated.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
As someone who just sold a Stormtrooper Pixel 2 XL last week, I can assure you that you'll enjoy the X as much as I do. Don't worry about FaceID. It's accurate and reliable most of the time. The only time I ever have issues with it is if I'm in bed with my head buried in a pillow. It needs to see half your face in order to work. NBD. The display on the X is so much better than the display on either Pixel devices.

iPhone X has something similar to Google Now when you swipe right. That is where the widgets go. You can also see the weather, top news stories (and you can personalize those), calendar, and many other things, depending on the apps you use and if they support widgets.

I don't have a MacBook, but you'll be able to send iMessages to your wife if she's on a plane using her MacBook on WiFi.

Any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

Vega007

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
You can download the Google app and still have access to your Google feed, you just have to open it up as an app instead of a swipe right.

Face ID works great but as Retinella said, it doesn't work well in bed. Basically it doesn't like it when your head is tilted sideways. Fair enough if you ask me, passcode works just fine in those instances.

I personally liked the camera on the Pixel 2 more than I do on the X, but its close. I will say the video recorder is better on the X so that balances that out if you like to shoot video.

And yep, iMessage has you covered for chatting with your wife via different devices. I have a Macbook and an iPad and I can use iMessage with other iPhone users with them.

vhl71

Feb 26, 2018
Visit site
I have moved from pixel 2 to iPhone X recently. While I love everything else the biggest thing I miss is hey google and google now. Th iOS right swipe info Os absolutely crap. There is nothing like google now. Also disappointed with Siri. Google is a lot better compared to Siri for voice commands and voice search. But other than that Face ID is flawless. Display is awesome and apps are just better on iOS.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I have moved from pixel 2 to iPhone X recently. While I love everything else the biggest thing I miss is hey google and google now. Th iOS right swipe info Os absolutely crap. There is nothing like google now. Also disappointed with Siri. Google is a lot better compared to Siri for voice commands and voice search. But other than that Face ID is flawless. Display is awesome and apps are just better on iOS.

Google Assistant is available on iOS. I use that all the time instead of Siri. I just wish I could remap the Siri button for Google Assistant.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You can put your hesitation to rest Face ID is incredible it’s like your device is not protected when you use it. Even most password protected apps are updated to FID

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Download the Google and Google Assistant apps. The Google app has a Google Now type of feed and will even do notifications, instead of swiping you just go into the app. The Google Assistant will add it to your phone -- you just won't have the quick launch options, though you can put it in your widgets so it is available relatively quickly.

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
For Google Assistant you can also download the shortcut app from Apple and set it up to work with Google Assistant. Once that is done you are able to say “Hey Siri open google assistant.” After that, you can then say “Hey Google” and ask whatever question you want. Not as seamless as Android, but it works.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77