MacBook Pro (2018) and HDMI - Stuck on Boot Logo

Sikosis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

We have 2 of these MacBook Pro (2018) models (15,2) and both of them get stuck on the boot logo when HDMI is connected via either Apple's Multi-Port AV adapter or a 3rd party adapter. I've lodged it with Bug Reporter but unfortunately, we've heard nothing yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen or had this issue.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you were to boot the devices completely before connecting an hdmi cable?

Sikosis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, it boots fine and then if you plug in the adapter with HDMI, it works too. It's only when its connected on startup.

Sikosis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I've called it in to Apple Warranty. They're going to replace both logic boards. I'm going to get them to replace one and then test it before going ahead with the other one.

Sikosis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I’d update everyone on my MacBook Pro 2018 issues … I rang Apple warranty about it and they said to take them to an Apple store, after I explained we do onsite warranty, they lodged a job with Unisys to replace the logic boards of both machines. My plan was to get them to replace one of them and then test, as I don’t believe changing the logic board will help.

A few days later, Unisys rang and said they didn’t want to replace the logic boards as it costs them to order the parts and they wanted more information. They also suggested a reinstall. Unfortunately, these models of MacBook Pros have Secure boot, which means you can’t install macOS via an external drive. I’ve been trying to get into Internet Recovery without much success so I could disable Secure boot. After trying all morning, it finally got into Recovery mode and when I tried to disable Secure boot, it told me there was no administrator account on the machine so I couldn’t do anything.

Turns out, even if you download High Sierra from the App Store, this version is incompatible with the MacBook Pro 2018. So, doing Internet Recovery is the *only* way to get the macOS version that is compatible with the laptop. This version from Internet Recovery was newer than the install that came with the laptop and guess what, it fixed the HDMI issue.

I guess the only problem I have is I can't do installs via USB key anymore and have to do the lengthy bandwidth sucking Internet Recovery installs instead.