MacBook Air - Battery Cycle

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
A good day iMore!
The MacBook Air - how many battery cycles can it endure throughout its lifetime?

I downloaded a Battery meter app from the Mac app store and it showed that my Mac already had 8 battery cycles - same data I saw on my Mac’s System Information.

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
It depends on which MacBook Air, though everything since 2009 is 1000 cycles for the MBA. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

8 cycles is not all that many - it's the equivalent of completely discharging and charging your battery 8 times. You should have plenty more to go.

I have the new MacBook Air 2018, just got a few weeks ago. So around 1,000 cycles then. Amazing. It might last like 2 years+.
Thank you for the information.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I hear 1000 cycles is considered the lifetime now. That is not to say that a fully charged battery is going to give you the same length of usable time a few years down the road (and the number of years much depends on often you actually use the MBA on battery only), but it'll remain usable. I had a 2011 MBA 11" until last year that was still fairly usable on battery, but I wouldn't expect a full day's work from it on battery. If I could get 7 years on my MBA, I daresay 2+ years is a safe bet!

Incidentally, you can do a quickie check on how your battery is doing (and what's dragging on it the most) by holding down the option button and clicking the battery icon in the toolbar.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I hear 1000 cycles is considered the lifetime now. That is not to say that a fully charged battery is going to give you the same length of usable time a few years down the road (and the number of years much depends on often you actually use the MBA on battery only), but it'll remain usable. I had a 2011 MBA 11" until last year that was still fairly usable on battery, but I wouldn't expect a full day's work from it, either. If I could get 7 years on my MBA, I daresay 2+ years is a safe bet!

Incidentally, you can do a quickie check on how your battery is doing (and what's dragging on it the most) by holding down the option button and clicking the battery icon in the toolbar.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Great post. And to add to this, hold down option and click the Apple icon on the top left of the menu bar and select the first option, "System Report...". In the "Hardware" section, go to "Power"and you can get the exact data about your battery - cycle count included.

enthusiast 1

Jun 22, 2019
Visit site
I have the new MacBook Air 2018, just got a few weeks ago. So around 1,000 cycles then. Amazing. It might last like 2 years+.
Thank you for the information.
My 2014 MacBook air is 964 cycles done and I have used it every single day since I bought it without ever replacing its battery. They do last long, nothing to worry about

jeraldjamescapao88

Oct 7, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I hear 1000 cycles is considered the lifetime now. That is not to say that a fully charged battery is going to give you the same length of usable time a few years down the road (and the number of years much depends on often you actually use the MBA on battery only), but it'll remain usable. I had a 2011 MBA 11" until last year that was still fairly usable on battery, but I wouldn't expect a full day's work from it, either. If I could get 7 years on my MBA, I daresay 2+ years is a safe bet!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl