Is the iPhone for "Tech-Illiterate " People?

Meliodas10

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Surely not! I am currently an undergraduate Computer Engineering student and I recently switched from a Galaxy Note 5 to an iPhone 7. It is great. People criticizing iPhones or Apple in general in my opinion are one of three:
1) never really tried the iPhone but went with what his peers were saying.
2) Just hates Apple! (Personal problem)
3) Actually used the iPhone and didn't like it (although I'm sure nobody used it and hated it completely, there is always exaggeration) and just can't see the fact that it is his personal preferences, and many many people (tech-savvy or not) just loved the iPhone for what is it and for their experience using it.

Besides, I'm guessing not less than 60% of Android-based smartphones users aren't tech-savvy or "geeks" either.
And my opinion, as someone who has experience with both platforms is that both are very good, both have their privileges over the other. So what? Are we going to keep arguing and debating which is the "best" smartphone OS? Technology is all about creativity, flexibility, and competition. So believe me it is great that there is many manufacturers and more than one "OS" in the market because that only pushes those tech companies to try harder and keep on improving their products.

So in the end: It all comes down to personal preference... and budget!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I definitely think it's the best phone for people who aren't tech-savvy—BUT not because it's "dumbed down" or can't do all the things more tech-savvy people DO want to do. That, to me, is the great trick of the iPhone: it's interface is accessible to people new to the platform, but dig a little deeper and you'll find it can do almost anything you want.

By contrast, most "tech-illiterate" friends/family of mine who have tried Android devices end up frustrated with the UI/UX, as it feels much less intuitive to them.

emchris8

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I've used both Android and iOS. Both have something different to offer. In the last five or so years I have been using iPhone because that's my preference. My husband uses Android and loves it. As previous posts have said it's a matter of preference.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

I'm a late Apple switcher (mid-30's) and I spent my teens and 20's tinkering with all sorts of tech. Had a Tandy 1000 even. At some point in my life I have more important things to do than tinker with settings and customize my tech all day. I just need something that works well out of the box. Apple has surprised me so far with their simplicity in making tech accessible to other 90%.

It's absolutely the same for me. Passed all my first 20 years doing all sort of things with my tech toys. Installed a Debian Linux on my Nokia N900. Installed one of the first Android versions on my WindowsMobile HTC HD 2. I used to feel great when I could play short videos on my Palm m100 running PalmOS 4. Do you remember HP 95lx? Running DOS on a more than simple screen? Well, I used to play little videos on it, too, just for fun. I was this kind of guy. But now I, too, feel I have more important things to do, another kind of toys to play with, and I want my phone just works out of the box. Because of this I use iPhone. Am I tech illiterate? Absolutely no. I just don't want to think about my phone to make it works anymore.

That said, yes, iPhone is far more easy to use. It don't have bugs. It don't have little problems you want to solve ASAP. It just... works. As on any Apple products. And for me, now, this is the greatest thing. When I want to play with tech again, I just have to get my S7e on its box and use it. Simple like that.

Cheers,

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I am a self admitted hopeless techtard and that is one of the reasons why I came back to Apple.
Other reasons included getting really fed up with Samsung, the way they forced the update that bricked my Note 3, but also the simple fact that iPhones work without fanfare, and my life is way too busy to put up with constantly having to play with my settings. I also know top level software engineers who swear by iPhone, so, tech savvy doesn't always come into play.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The funniest thing is that I work in IT. Programmers, developers, web designers, infrastructure. The MAJORITY of them, when they take their personal phones out, carry iPhones.
And my agency is phasing out iPhones. We've currently got over 4K iPhones and barely 900 Androids. People overwhelmingly chose iPhones, and even those who originally picked Android (like me, I picked Android because the. SGS5 had a user replaceable battery) ended up swapping early.
So the argument about tech-illiterate is from people who feel that hardware trumps user experience.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

A month later.... I don't think iPhone is for the tech-illiterate per se, I do think the iPhone is easier and more accessible to the tech-illiterate, out of the box, than Android. The details that make that true, to me, appeal to some and are disliked by others.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
What rant ?

I'm also tech savvy, and have an iPhone 6s Plus..

Just because Apple prevents users from mucking around with iOS by default and locks it down to the point it's limiting with what you can do compared to Android, doesn't mean always for simple people..

I think its a mixed bag..... But more importantly, u go where the apps are.... if u have them on both phones, then its up to the user to decide, but if the apps u'r after are only for iOS, then there is no choice to make.

People are more quick and comfortable with iPhones (even non-tech savvy users) because of the lock down.. u can't customize as much as you can on other phones, but that doesn't make it for simple people...

It's just simple to use.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What rant ?

I'm also tech savvy, and have an iPhone 6s Plus..

Just because Apple prevents users from mucking around with iOS by default and locks it down to the point it's limiting with what you can do compared to Android, doesn't mean always for simple people..

I think its a mixed bag..... But more importantly, u go where the apps are.... if u have them on both phones, then its up to the user to decide, but if the apps u'r after are only for iOS, then there is no choice to make.

People are more quick and comfortable with iPhones (even non-tech savvy users) because of the lock down.. u can't customize as much as you can on other phones, but that doesn't make it for simple people...

It's just simple to use.

Well-stated....

anon(10092459)

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
Definitely a loaded question ... The "tech-illiterate" choose all types of phones and platforms. iPhone is great technology out of the box for people who choose simplicity, I feel. Those who just have different things to do with their time besides mess around with their tech.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Odd question, an iPhone to me is just a good tool, it does what it is meant to do, every time. Would you buy a hammer you had to fiddle with to drive a nail in ? I probably come into the tech illiterate group because I don't use IT to earn my crust and probably could do completely without it if push came to shove. Does being tech literate mean making your life more complicated for the sake of it ?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

FYI: This thread was created on November 8, 2014.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the beauty in iPhone is that's its easy to learn so for tech illetitate people its accessible and not overwhelming. However, I also think it's for tech savvy people as well. I'm fairly tech savvy and love my iPhone for several reasons but one of the top reasons is how it operates with other Apple products. I have bought into the Apple platform as a whole and don't so allows me lots of conveniences that I have come to rely on such as handoff and ability to make calls from my MacBook.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vber