iPhone X and power button behavior change?

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, so I remember when I first got my iPhone X back at launch one of the listed features of I believe the new CPU tech but maybe it was an iOS11 feature was that instead of having to hold down the power button until you saw the Apple logo to power it on, it would just respond with a quick push and release. I hardly every reboot/etc. my phone so I don't know when this changed but this seems to not be the case anymore? I'm assuming it must be an iOS change that I missed since it used to work like this. Anyone know when/why this behavior changed or do I just have a setting somewhere that's disabling this?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, I noticed this the last time that I restarted my phone - it wouldn't restart with a simple press.

I am guessing that the behavior to start with a simple press was unintended and Apple just changed it back without mentioning anything. I am betting that way too many people did things like shut down their phone (for whatever reason) and then were annoyed to find it restarting because the sleep/wake button was accidentally pressed.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, so I remember when I first got my iPhone X back at launch one of the listed features of I believe the new CPU tech but maybe it was an iOS11 feature was that instead of having to hold down the power button until you saw the Apple logo to power it on, it would just respond with a quick push and release. I hardly every reboot/etc. my phone so I don't know when this changed but this seems to not be the case anymore? I'm assuming it must be an iOS change that I missed since it used to work like this. Anyone know when/why this behavior changed or do I just have a setting somewhere that's disabling this?

Yep, I noticed this the last time that I restarted my phone - it wouldn't restart with a simple press.

I am guessing that the behavior to start with a simple press was unintended and Apple just changed it back without mentioning anything. I am betting that way too many people did things like shut down their phone (for whatever reason) and then were annoyed to find it restarting because the sleep/wake button was accidentally pressed.

That function must have slipped passed me because I don’t recall noticing it.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

I thought it was actually intentional. I seem to remember something about it in one of the presentations they did but maybe I'm remember wrong.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple’s support page definitely now says “press and hold” to start.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208204

I watch every keynote and I don’t recall Apple saying anything about a simple press in a keynote (though maybe I’ll go back and watch again.) I am almost 100% sure that I read about the behavior in a news article or forum post.

I still have the box downstairs; I’ll see if I have the little instruction booklet that comes with the phone and see if that says anything different.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yep, the original documentation that came with the phone say to press and hold the side button to start the phone.

allipki

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I noticed the same thing that quick one sec press changed to ~10 sec hold. I think it happened with one of ios 12 updates.
I liked quick press before.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lingtingzhiyin988