iPhone 14 has another crash detection problem, this time it's skiing

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The feature isn't perfect, and if you expected it to be then shame on you. While play fighting with my nephew's 6-year-old daughter, my Apple Watch detected that I had fallen even though I had not. The following three options appeared on the screen:

• Call Emergency Services
  • Did you fall?
  • I did not fall

Note: The actual verbiage may be slightly different.

Anyway, I selected the "I did not fall" option. Emergency services were not called, and I resumed what I was doing. It never crossed my mind that the fall detection feature failed. In fact, I was impressed that it detected the play flighting. Little kids can hit hard, and I assumed it was hard enough for the fall detection to be activated. I see that as a good thing.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The feature isn't perfect, and if you expected it to be then shame on you. While play fighting with my nephew's 6-year-old daughter, my Apple Watch detected that I had fallen even though I had not. The following three options appeared on the screen:

• Did you fall?
  • I did not fall

Anyway, I selected the "I did not fall" option. Emergency services were not called, and I resumed what I was doing. It never crossed my mind that the fall detection feature failed. In fact, I was impressed that it detected the play flighting. Little kids can hit hard, and I assumed it was hard enough for the fall detection to be activated. I see that as a good thing.

Bravo! Well said!

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

• Did you fall?
  • I did not fall

I really think that’s how that should work. The Apple Watch is not a living being and has limited capabilities in determining what happened. It just does its best :)

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

• Did you fall?
  • I did not fall

Excellently put as usual.
This is another point of taking just a modicum of responsibility. If you have crash detection enabled and are going downhill skiing or jet skiing or bmx bike riding etc then take 25 seconds to disable it. The alternative is the feature will have to be limited because this 25 seconds to disable it isn’t done.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
riad1973