How protective are the apple cases?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm debating returning my tech 21 Eco mesh and getting either the apple silicone or leather case, but I'm worried how protective the apple offerings will be. I know leather offers no shock absorption, but the silicone picks up lint. Is the leather at least a bit protective? My issue with the tech 21 us it's slick and has a small front lip and not a bigger one

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
My pink  silicone case does not pick up lint at all, haha!

And I dropped my phone on the bottom right corner on concrete and everything is ok!
So I REALLY love the protection it offers. I am not so sure about the leather ones, though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Because of the job I was starting at the time, I purchased a few cases for my iPhone 6 Plus and the Apple leather case was one of them. I ended up using it the longest before I went back to having no case at all. Anyway, for me, the Apple leather case was great because it was thin, non-slippery, and offered protection from nicks and scratches. I'm never worried about dropping my iPhone or severely damaging it. Heck, that's what Apple Care + is for...:)....Anyway, to answer the thread question, Apple cases offers enough protection against scratches, nicks, scrapes, etcetera, but they won't protect against water, being run over by a car, beat with a baseball bat, etcetera...:)

Last edited:

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped my Apple Leather Case (with phone in it, of course) a few times with no issues. Once was while at a minor league baseball game -- phone was next to me on top of the dugout and I knocked it down between the dugout and the bleachers to the ground below, maybe 15 feet? Not sure what the ground was under us, but it did clang around on the way down. Case was beat up with some nicks, but phone was intact.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450696174.405469.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450696187.136370.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Without Applecare+, I simply would not trust Apple cases for drops. They will work ok in most circumstances, but not all. If I had Applecare+, it wouldn't matter.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
My wife drops her 6 all the time with the Apple leather case. She has dropped it on tile, cement, wood floor, etc. The leather is scraped and pretty beat up, but the phone is fine.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the black leather case on my 6+ since February and a black leather case on my 6S+ for almost two weeks. They look about the same as far as wear goes. The 6S+ is on the left.

IMG_9872.JPG

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have a silicone and a leather case for my 6s. Love them both for different reasons. Overall, I prefer the leather, but use the silicone for when I run and sweat a lot. I rarely drop my devices bc I am pretty careful with them, but the few times I have, nothing has happened to my phone in the two cases.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I can echo that I gave dropped my iPhone 5, 5s, 6 & 6s's...all wearing the Apple leather cases on more than one occasion, and although I've left behind several beat up cases...I've yet to have any damage to my devices. Lucky? Maybe. They're not nearly as protective as an Otterbox or something similar, but I've yet to find anything that mates slimness & protection as well as the leather case does.

YMMV

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I use the Apple leather and silicone cases exclusively and while there are definitely better shock absorbing cases out there (the Tech 21 Echo Mesh is what I have on my teenage daughters 6s) the Apple cases do provide significant protection for day-to-day use, including workouts, activities... and drops. I think you'll be fine with the leather case...

213ninja

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I can't post links yet but if you search YouTube for "iPhone case drop test" there is a really good video showing the results of both cases. Pay no attention to the pink sweater and mandals, the video is solid.

I ended up buying one of each and I'm very happy. The fit and finish is second to none.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flickoo