Drivers warned of "dangerous and unusable" Apple CarPlay navigation bug

gian posatiere

Dec 30, 2017
Visit site
I have a friend that has this issue for a couple years thru multiple different iPhones on multiple different cars. That tells us it's most likely another app on your phone causing the problem.

valkraider

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Not the best article.

“Drivers warned of”

What does that mean? It all seems anecdotal at best.

What is the warning? We have never experienced anything like this with our family, multiple phones, multiple vehicles, multiple manufacturers, wireless and wired. So your warning is just as anecdotal as my rebuttal.

“The bug is simple”

Is it? Did you find the details, or the root cause? Did you send the “simple” details to Apple?

Is iMore just quoting other sites now?

Usually when connected to CarPlay the phone and the car share GPS information - so it’s likely the bug is with the infotainment system since disconnecting the phone corrects it.

I am wondering if all of the listed vehicles on the 9to5mac article share similar underlying code for that part of the infotainment…

I don’t think they all use the same OS, but it’s possible that there is a common infotainment or GPS code base or library in use there.

Reactions: Annie_M

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It happened on my car, and I found that it comes from the car’s GPS antenna.

How?
I switched to the built in satnav, and it showed me driving east-west instead of north-south.

Reactions: Annie_M

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary with CarPlay, but I’ll be sure to try to replicate the issue, if possible.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
No issues with our Honda’s since we’ve had them (several years).

And I just returned from a trip out went in a ‘22 Nissan Armada with no issues using Google Maps.

Is there any info on what device/iOS version is being used in these vehicles? I don’t think this is a CarPlay issue as much as an individual car/device/OS combination.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
No issues with our Honda’s since we’ve had them (several years).

And I just returned from a trip out went in a ‘22 Nissan Armada with no issues using Google Maps.

Is there any info on what device/iOS version is being used in these vehicles? I don’t think this is a CarPlay issue as much as an individual car/device/OS combination.
In my case, it’s iOS 14-16 on iPhone 11 Pro in a Volkswagen Jetta.

I have not seen it occur on iOS 17 yet.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
In my case, it’s iOS 14-16 on iPhone 11 Pro in a Volkswagen Jetta.

I have not seen it occur on iOS 17 yet.

Ah, ok.

I didn’t have any issues on iOS 16 on 11PM or 14PM, 2018 and 2019 Honda CRV’s. However, both cars have CarPlay WiFi adapters.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Ah, ok.

I didn’t have any issues on iOS 16 on 11PM or 14PM, 2018 and 2019 Honda CRV’s. However, both cars have CarPlay WiFi adapters.
Yeah… I have native CarPlay in my car.

For it to behave like mine did, it needs to use the car’s GPS receiver. I don’t think that a wireless adapter would do so.

Also, one thing that needs to be correlated is the schedule of the USA testing the GPS system. That can degrade the signal to the point of making it faulty.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah… I have native CarPlay in my car.

For it to behave like mine did, it needs to use the car’s GPS receiver. I don’t think that a wireless adapter would do so.

Also, one thing that needs to be correlated is the schedule of the USA testing the GPS system. That can degrade the signal to the point of making it faulty.

Yeah, we have native in our cars, but hard wired. Still never had those issues. Maybe because we don’t have native GPS receivers?

veggiedude

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
A new report says CarPlay users are suffering major issues with turn-by-turn navigation.

Drivers warned of "dangerous and unusable" Apple CarPlay navigation bug : Read more
I have been annoyed by this bug for a few weeks, and I recently discovered a work around. If CarPlay is working wirelessly when the problem occurs, plug in the USB cable and the GPS stablizes. If the problem occurs when the USB is plugged in, unplug, and use via wireless, and the GPS stablizes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77