Do I have any other options than to use this iCloud protected iPhone as a paperweight?

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Good morning,

I suspect I already know the answer to this question, but my girlfriend is forcing my hand here.
My girlfriend's friend (let's just call him Idjit) gave her an iPhone back when she didn't have a phone. He acquired it from his brother. All well and good, but here's where it gets silly. Idjit's brother didn't turn off reset protection and the iPhone wasn't originally his, so it wasn't signed in with this account (as far as I know, Idjit's brother has never owned an iPhone), and Idjit went and factory reset the phone when it was given to him. So now my girlfriend has an essentially useless iPhone because reset protection was activated and the original iPhone account is, well, we have no earthly clue what the fluff (excuse my metaphorical swearing) it could be.
So, the question is, do I have any other options besides using this thing as a paperweight? I suspect I do not, but I don't claim to be an expert on iOS (have a question about Windows, however, and I'm your guy).

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: iPhone Reset Protection

You can't bypass the iCloud activation lock, unless you have the required Apple ID. There is no workaround.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

If the phone is still added to the original owners Apple ID, you'll need to contact that owner and have them remove it. As long as the original owner has added the secondary email account for their emergency reset, then they can help you reset the phone as well. In a nutshell, you need the original owner. Otherwise you have a paperweight.

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

I figured that was the case, as reset protection works similarly with other operating systems. But at least now I have a second (and third) opinion to convince my girlfriend to drop this matter. I keep telling her there's nothing I can do but she insisted I do "research." Thanks for the responses. Hope you all have a good day. Come say hi at Windows Central if you're feeling Microsoft-y.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I figured that was the case, as reset protection works similarly with other operating systems. But at least now I have a second (and third) opinion to convince my girlfriend to drop this matter. I keep telling her there's nothing I can do but she insisted I do "research." Thanks for the responses. Hope you all have a good day. Come say hi at Windows Central if you're feeling Microsoft-y.

Would Idjit's brother not still know his Apple ID?

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Would Idjit's brother not still know his Apple ID?

Honestly, I'm not entirely certain Idjit's brother acquired the iPhone through nice, rainbow-flavored means. Which is why this whole thing gives me a big headache. Here I have a perfectly good iPhone 6 that's essentially worthless. Which is unfortunate because, honestly, I wouldn't mind having an iPhone lying around so I can check out what iOS is doing right now. Ah well.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, I'm not entirely certain Idjit's brother acquired the iPhone through nice, rainbow-flavored means. Which is why this whole thing gives me a big headache. Here I have a perfectly good iPhone 6 that's essentially worthless. Which is unfortunate because, honestly, I wouldn't mind having an iPhone lying around so I can check out what iOS is doing right now. Ah well.

Have you tried asking Siri, "Who's iPhone is this?" You might have to rephrase the question, she ain't too bright.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77