CARROT Weather 5 is a complete redesign of an already great app

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I do understand both points. There are many levels of developer’s and I realize that many developers are trying to make a living. And I get it. As a consumer, I have a ton of apps. And as my resources are not unlimited, I realize that I need to be more discerning when choosing Apps. Most of my Apps have been free, and so it’s a bit of mental adjustment to start paying for one. Of course, depending on what type of app it is, the decision is easy.

I also realize that without developers, smartphones would be completely different, and not necessarily in a good way!

Well said Annie. Thank You

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I do understand both points. There are many levels of developer’s and I realize that many developers are trying to make a living. And I get it. As a consumer, I have a ton of apps. And as my resources are not unlimited, I realize that I need to be more discerning when choosing Apps. Most of my Apps have been free, and so it’s a bit of mental adjustment to start paying for one. Of course, depending on what type of app it is, the decision is easy.

I also realize that without developers, smartphones would be completely different, and not necessarily in a good way!

We had developers before Apple opened the floodgates for subscriptions. But back then, they had jobs, and apps were not their main source of income. Now they want it to be, and it's us who suffers. If I subscribed to every app I like, it would be like another car payment. I don't mind paying a one time payment for an app, like we used to. Most app subscriptions I see are not worth paying each month for.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
We had developers before Apple opened the floodgates for subscriptions. But back then, they had jobs, and apps were not their main source of income. Now they want it to be, and it's us who suffers. If I subscribed to every app I like, it would be like another car payment. I don't mind paying a one time payment for an app, like we used to. Most app subscriptions I see are not worth paying each month for.

I totally agree with you Ledsteplin.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

That's the thing. You literally don't have to subscribe to every app. The ones you find invaluable are the ones you pay for.

Devs aren't asking for you to subscribe to every app just the ones you use and find value in.

This whole thing where developers shouldn't want to make a business out of something most people can't or don't want to do is telling.

Have you ever written any software?

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
It's almost like consumers think creating apps are easy and free to maintain. They aren't though.

It's funny to me how folks see developers as not having "real jobs" when most would be hard pressed to write a "Hello World!" app let alone running it.

This just pisses me off. I don't write iOS apps but I am a software developer.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Food for thought: 12 months at $5 a month is $60. Video game AAA titles are $60, and a 1-time purchase. I'm not trying to argue against a subscription...but at the same time, I think the price is a bit steep, and subscriptions are perpetual.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had several interactions with "the maker" with some technical and beta issues that he's helped me with, plus I love the app and have done some developing in the past, so yes I'm paying $24.99/year for Carrot Weather Premium Ultra (Tier 3) subscription. So that's a whopping $0.48/per week. I think the performance alone is enough for me to support the developer.

Plus, I'm 52 years old and have a crap ton of money in the bank. I think I can splurge a little.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had several interactions with "the maker" with some technical and beta issues that he's helped me with, plus I love the app and have done some developing in the past, so yes I'm paying $24.99/year for Carrot Weather Premium Ultra (Tier 3) subscription. So that's a whopping $0.48/per week. I think the performance alone is enough for me to support the developer.

Plus, I'm 52 years old and have a crap ton of money in the bank. I think I can splurge a little.

Good for you. However, I think we're referring to principal vs being able to afford the app. By the way I don't see that yearly price you posted...LOL .

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Trusted Member
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Posing a question for thought: For me, with this subject....at what point is an app/program worth a subscription versus paying a one-time fee? Say for instance, I disagree with Microsoft going the subscription route for Office. I really think they would have better reception of offering a choice of a subscription (for continual updates) or a one-time purchase, even a la carte, of individual portions of Office. One would be better suited for businesses, as they will probably use all of the products within the suite. Consumers most likely need just MS Word and Excel. Maybe, emphasis on maybe Access.

The same can apply to apps. At what point is a subscription chasing customers away versus a single purchase?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's a matter of picking and choosing. If I find an App that I really love, and will use a lot, then I don't mind paying. This is "somewhat" unrelated, but illustrates my point of view: I was having this discussion with my husband today... not about subscribing to an App, but subscribing to things like Netflix, Prime, Hulu... when we bought my new car in August, it came with a temporary subscription to SiriusXM. I've extended it once, but it's due to expire next week. I LOVE it.. mainly because I listen to the NASCAR channel all the time. I'm going to let it go, however, because it's too pricey to keep. I just can't justify it. I thought about giving up Netflix/Hulu, but I like them more. (And getting back on topic:) this is the same situation with Apps. Sometimes when paying, you just have to pick and choose.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Posing a question for thought: For me, with this subject....at what point is an app/program worth a subscription versus paying a one-time fee? Say for instance, I disagree with Microsoft going the subscription route for Office. I really think they would have better reception of offering a choice of a subscription (for continual updates) or a one-time purchase, even a la carte, of individual portions of Office. One would be better suited for businesses, as they will probably use all of the products within the suite. Consumers most likely need just MS Word and Excel. Maybe, emphasis on maybe Access.

The same can apply to apps. At what point is a subscription chasing customers away versus a single purchase?

I think the one-time fee would be good for apps with no support. But for other apps that require updates on a facular basis, then yes, that's where the subscription model comes in. As anyone in the Android world knows, an update for an app works great on 100 devices, and breaks 1000 more. Then the update for those 1000 works, and breaks another 500. Rinse and repeat. This is where the subscription model comes into play. App updates and development takes time and money.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It's funny to me how folks see developers as not having "real jobs" when most would be hard pressed to write a "Hello World!" app let alone running it.

I think the idea here is some app developers aren't full-time app developers and have jobs that don't allow them to work on their apps "during the day" and therefore app support is slow or even non existent.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing. You literally don't have to subscribe to every app. The ones you find invaluable are the ones you pay for.

Devs aren't asking for you to subscribe to every app just the ones you use and find value in.

This whole thing where developers shouldn't want to make a business out of something most people can't or don't want to do is telling.

Have you ever written any software?

And that's the problem. There's quite a few I'd really like to have. But it adds up quickly. So, I just don't do it. I purchased Facetune 7 years ago for $2.99. I still use it regularly. So, now, instead of adding new features to the app I paid for, they create a new Facetune 2, that requires subscription for the new features. That just goes against my grain. I see it as nothing but gouging. But I don't really blame the developers. I'd probably do the same.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4