Advantages of choosing ATT over Verizon?

kittykatta

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Im not trying to be a salesman for ATT or Verizon since I don't use either provider. But, in trying to map out my purchase decisions for the year then I was starting to think how moving to ATT may be a smart move despite Verizon being the better service.

1) Adopt someone elses ATT Contract
How many ATT iPhone users do you know? And how many of them complain incessantly about switching to Verizon once its available. Well, those people will have to pay a hefty ETF to cancel early so why not simply buy their phone and take over their plan from them? Its probably only got a few months left and you can get it all for dirt cheap since all negotiating power is on your side.

2) iPhone 5
Im really not sure how important an upgrade the iPhone 5 will be, but whether its a big deal or not then you'll want it. But signing up to Verizon means 20mo until you can upgrade (Oct 2012). That means you not only skip the 2011 iPhone 5 but also the iPhone 6 launch. ATT offers a shorter upgrade time OR OR if you take over an existing plan then maybe you'll be out of contract right in time to switch to Verizons iPhone 5 later this year.

3) Competition is Good
ATT is a bad company. They've gotten so cocky with the iPhone exclusive that they ignored the needs of the customers and their network. With Verizon in the picture then ATT will be forced to improve customer service and their product. That means it will be much easier to get 3G Microcells or have a complaint resolved.

4) ATT should be expecting less traffic
IF so many people are moving to Verizon then ATTs network will soon become much less busy. Think about it, the iPhone is the ONLY major smartphone that clogs their tubes because they don't even offer many other popular data intensive phones. So with less Droids or iPhones on the network then maybe the service will be better

5) ATT isn't that bad
Okay, maybe thats stretching it but they really do offer a lot. Rollover minutes are an excellent idea (i wish they'd do that with data), iOS 4.3 is supposed to have tethering support built in, theyre slightly cheaper, the Microcell really does work to improve your home 3G reception and since they were the exclusive carrier then it has a good aftermarket for used iPhones.

Okay, well all that said then I'm probably going to switch from Sprint to Verizon. I'm not happy to leave Sprint since its so reliable and cheap but I've been wanting an iPhone since launch and ATT in my area has always been pretty spotty.

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing if being able to use data and talk at the same time is important then people are going to stay with AT&T, but if you want your Iphone to work as a phone at all those people with be switching to Verizon. I had the AT&T iPhone myself. When I was in large cities it worked well. But if I left those areas it really suffered. I drove 20 min from my house to buy the iphone a few years ago at my local AT&T store. Got back home and it said "NO SERVICE". :( Lots of people in rural areas waiting to get there hands on this device.

shipwrestler125

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing if being able to use data and talk at the same time is important then people are going to stay with AT&T, but if you want your Iphone to work as a phone at all those people with be switching to Verizon. I had the AT&T iPhone myself. When I was in large cities it worked well. But if I left those areas it really suffered. I drove 20 min from my house to buy the iphone a few years ago at my local AT&T store. Got back home and it said "NO SERVICE". :( Lots of people in rural areas waiting to get there hands on this device.

Agree i would rather be able to have service and make a call using voice and data at the same time arent that big of a deal for me

coltsbr

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
do you all think that we will see THAT much of a difference in att since so many may leave?

I really don't think there will be a huge affect right away. AT&T still has much to do with there network to fix issues they have. They might be losing some customers, but in many locations they are gaining new customers with android phones and other new phones that will be coming on the market along with all of these tablets that will be sold.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
do you all think that we will see THAT much of a difference in att since so many may leave?
At best AT&T is ambivalent about iPhone users. On the one hand, their exclusive on the iPhone has earned them millions of subscribers that have kept them in the game. On the other hand, they see iPhone users as "data hogs."

Rather than taking our money and using it to increase the capacity of their network, they collude with Apple in attempts to throttle our use.

I do not think that competition from Verizon will reform their anti-consumer attitudes or business practices. I hope that I am wrong but I doubt it.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Early reviews on Crave, Endgadget, and NYTimes, suggest that call quality, call continuity, and data speeds are better on Vz. I say "suggest" because carrier quality is so location dependent.

One of AT&T's excuses for their service is that iPhone users are "data hogs." To the extent that heavy data usage by iPhone users is responsible, then it is possible that a lot of iPhones on Vz might degrade their service, and early reports may be misleading.

For most users, local coverage trumps everything. My local coverage on AT&T is poor but I have a microcell. I also have a Vz MiFi micro hotspot that I use to make VoIP calls where AT&T lacks coverage.

All that said, I will probably stay with AT&T because I travel internationally.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77