3G worked like a dream on my iPhone, so why is 5G so rubbish?

valkraider

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I really disagree with this one.

I have had 5G iPhones since their debut, and it was only the first year or so that things were questionable and LTE was your better bet.

But since then things have really picked up.

Perhaps you have a worse carrier - but anecdotally my experience has been quite good.

There are times and places where my TMobile mobile internet service exceeds my Comcast at home.

I have traveled extensively, road-tripping across the continent. In the past two years I have driven across or visited about 30 US states, 9 Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, 4 European nations, and Japan. 5G is working fantastic.

But don’t take my word for it - Ookla(SpeedTest/RootMetrics) and OpenSignal all release quarterly reports.

We far have more bandwidth to us available at significantly more places than ever before.

But sure - the first year of 5G was pretty universally bad on AT&T and Verizon. It was hit or miss on TMobile.

Of course all I personally have is anecdotal data - so just like the author’s - it’s purely personal opinion. Your mileage will vary.

But now for me - this is a pretty common result with TMobile:
e69161285edab4e865d34fffe4f318a4.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Wow, I really disagree with this one.

I have had 5G iPhones since their debut, and it was only the first year or so that things were questionable and LTE was your better bet.

But since then things have really picked up.

Perhaps you have a worse carrier - but anecdotally my experience has been quite good.

There are times and places where my TMobile mobile internet service exceeds my Comcast at home.

I have traveled extensively, road-tripping across the continent. In the past two years I have driven across or visited about 30 US states, 9 Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, 4 European nations, and Japan. 5G is working fantastic.

But don’t take my word for it - Ookla(SpeedTest/RootMetrics) and OpenSignal all release quarterly reports.

We far have more bandwidth to us available at significantly more places than ever before.

But sure - the first year of 5G was pretty universally bad on AT&T and Verizon. It was hit or miss on TMobile.

Of course all I personally have is anecdotal data - so just like the author’s - it’s purely personal opinion. Your mileage will vary.

But now for me - this is a pretty common result with TMobile:
e69161285edab4e865d34fffe4f318a4.jpg

Thanks for joining in the conversation with such a thorough post! I have had no issues with 5G in my area.

valkraider

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
There may also be a bit of “the good old days” too with the 3G / Edge memories.

Edge was terrible. I know - I was stuck on it forever because I used a jailbroken iPhone to enable TMobile use when it was still “AT&T only”.

But there is a bit of rose-colored-glasses here because the iPhone was so new and amazing in so many ways I feel like we may be putting a much more positive spin than is deserved for 3G/Edge.

I mean with 5G I have lived on tethered Zoom and VPN on laptops, all across North America for weeks at a time.

Never could have done that Edge/3G.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77