Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By leharris22
  • 1 Post By jeffrey1027
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Default iPhone 4S on Canadian Carriers-4G?

I have a really stupid question. I assume that the iPhone 4S is not 4G capable, but I'm new to the whole iPhone world so I would like some clarification. Does the iPhone 4S run on the 4G network (where available) through Canadian carriers? Thanks.
    Randy b likes this.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    702 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

4G=LTE and no iPhones currently support that network yet. Hopefully iPhone 5 will.
    Don't let the 4 in the iPhone name confuse you with 4g, it's just their 4th generation iPhone.
    The 4S is capable of running HSPA+ which has speeds of up to 14.1mps which is pretty fast
    Thanked by:
    leharris22 (10-09-2011)
    Randy b likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    iOS Version

all the carriers in canada that currently have the iphone 4 will have the iphone 4s with the HSPA+ faster speed network
    Thanked by:
    leharris22 (10-09-2011)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Intermediate

Thanks for the clarification. I know there's a difference between a fast speed network and true 4G. I had assumed that the 4S is not compatible with LTE but wanted to confirm. But still, 14.1mps is really fast and I know my carrier has invested in the high speed network in my area, so it may be worth it.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Bell's page for iphone 4s didn't say anything about 4g. iPhone 4S White from Apple at Bell Mobility - Bell Canada
    Last edited by canadaiphonelover; 02-21-2012 at 03:43 PM.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Intermediate

I love my iPhone 4S but am already looking forward to the 4G capability. Hopefully the next iPhone will have this
    Laura Elizebeth Harris on the iBooks Store
    ~Laura~
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I notice you're on Telus, how is your reception, data, etc? Here in Toronto my co-worker had Telus, I'm Fido and his phone was HORRIBLE!!! My phone is factory unlocked so we swapped his sim in my phone to see if it was an antennae issue and bam fell 2 bars right away. We would stand in the same spot in the basement of a 4 story building and I'm getting 4 bars all the time he's fluctuating between 2 bars and none. It was just really really horrible, so I'm wondering if it's just the area or what?
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by canadaiphonelover View Post
    Bell's page for iphone 4s didn't say anything about 4g.
    Obviously I was wrong. There's another page about how to configure it on 4G. search on their site.
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Just to add in to what everyone said. Yes it is indeed lacking 4G. Also with the telus thing im on telus now. Switched from Rogers as they are garbage. I am incredibly happy with my service from them. At my location I get great service and speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giraffes are people too.
    Tip the scales... you know you want to.
    15" Retina MBP 2.6GHz / 512GB
    Game Center ID: Brenden
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,248 Global Posts

a lot of carriers, in Canada and USA, are pulling a marketing trick. Since there was no legal definition for 4G they referred to HSPA+ as 4G, when really it was more like 3.5G. so that's why many ads say phones are 4G when they really aren't. The real 4G is 4G LTE, which is now finally here. The new iPad has it and presumably the next iphone will.
    iPhone Nanite

iOS Version
    ios5

Yes it is a marketing gimic. Any 3.5G rating or higher will be advertized as 4G, they round up to 4 at 3.5.
    iMore Beginner

At this point, I think it makes a lot more sense to just stop talking about Gs, and instead just say LTE and HSPA+ as the case may be.