- iMore Intermediate
- 311 Posts
AT&T network discontinuing - what to do
My mom has a Pantech C740 phone that she seldom uses, just for emergencies/peace of mind if she has to get hold of someone. Specs are here:
I noticed AT&T is discontinuing their 2G network by the end of the year:
AT&T to Discontinue 2G Support by End of 2016
I have been trying to figure out, does this affect the Pantech phone? And if so, what should me mom do to replace this capability for her? It seems that her choices are getting a more expensive smartphone and/or a $30 a month or more bill, which is not practical.
- 04-28-2016, 12:34 PM #2
Re: AT&T network discontinuing - what to do
From what I can find, that phone does support 3G connectivity so it should still work. Keyword is should. I cant say for certain. It would be a good idea to upgrade to a more current model though. Have your mother look at a iPhone SE or a Galaxy Mini of some sort. Those are smaller phones.
From what I know, AT&T still provides some pretty simple phones. Whether they all are smartphones I cant say for certain, but I would almost put money down that they are. IF nothing else, maybe look into something like Consumer Cellular for her. From what I have seen in their advertisements they still provide a flip phone and I think one pretty similar to the one she has.
- 08-17-2016, 12:26 PM #4
- 11-01-2016, 08:03 PM #5
- By iMore Question in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 3Last Post: 04-28-2016, 06:42 PM
- By Engr Aamir Khan Niazi in forum iPhoneReplies: 2Last Post: 04-28-2016, 06:05 PM
- By Nancyr216 in forum Ask a QuestionReplies: 1Last Post: 04-28-2016, 09:51 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM
- By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News DiscussionReplies: 0Last Post: 04-28-2016, 07:00 AM