AT&T network discontinuing - what to do

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
My mom has a Pantech C740 phone that she seldom uses, just for emergencies/peace of mind if she has to get hold of someone. Specs are here:
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...tml%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKB97047&token=JbdSlzXr

I noticed AT&T is discontinuing their 2G network by the end of the year:
AT&T to Discontinue 2G Support by End of 2016

I have been trying to figure out, does this affect the Pantech phone? And if so, what should me mom do to replace this capability for her? It seems that her choices are getting a more expensive smartphone and/or a $30 a month or more bill, which is not practical.

Thanks!

Damien_Eternal

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
From what I can find, that phone does support 3G connectivity so it should still work. Keyword is should. I cant say for certain. It would be a good idea to upgrade to a more current model though. Have your mother look at a iPhone SE or a Galaxy Mini of some sort. Those are smaller phones.

From what I know, AT&T still provides some pretty simple phones. Whether they all are smartphones I cant say for certain, but I would almost put money down that they are. IF nothing else, maybe look into something like Consumer Cellular for her. From what I have seen in their advertisements they still provide a flip phone and I think one pretty similar to the one she has.

michaeljdewilde

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
They will either send you or notate your account with a free phone offer. If you call them up or stop in a retail location they can pull it up and check. Hopefully you can get the freebie!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77