Do I have a "Data Issue"?

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I was signed up for years with a 2GB data plan for only my iPhone (never went over my data), and I use it heavily, then about a year ago AT&T had a promotion to add 1GB more for the exact same price (again never went over my data), then they started doing the rollover data and MIRACULOUSLY I "started going over my data" even though my habits never changed. One month they claimed I went over by 2GB... Thats right, never went over 2GB and now using 5GB in a month.

I finally had enough and called to cancel my account and the customer solutions guy said for the same pice of my current plane would bump me up to 4GB, said no problem lets try it. Now... I am with at least 6.5-7GB including my rollover data a month.

Am I alone in this? They are making me feel crazy!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Keep up with it on your device. Go to Settings >Cellular >scroll down to reset Statistics. Set early on the first day of your Billing cycle. It will show how much data your phone has used.
Turn Cellular off for anything that can be done on WiFi.

Spartan John-117

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Keep up with it on your device. Go to Settings >Cellular >scroll down to reset Statistics. Set early on the first day of your Billing cycle. It will show how much data your phone has used.
Turn Cellular off for anything that can be done on WiFi.

I did all of that and was watching it through there and an app the store recommended for me, pretty much I did EVERYTHING everyone suggested and it got worse and worse and then suddenly got better.

At one point they told me they were seeing my background app refresh happening at random times but it was the same time every day, to which I shut them down because it was previously shut off.

I'm just wondering if AT&T was trying to pull a fast one on me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I did all of that and was watching it through there and an app the store recommended for me, pretty much I did EVERYTHING everyone suggested and it got worse and worse and then suddenly got better.

At one point they told me they were seeing my background app refresh happening at random times but it was the same time every day, to which I shut them down because it was previously shut off.

I'm just wondering if AT&T was trying to pull a fast one on me.

No. They don't have time to pull fast ones on people. Besides, if they did, people would know and they would go out of business. I see complaints like this on all the carrier forums or sites. There's even some who blame the iPhone 5c for using too much data. It's there with all you do and use. If you have wifi, stay on it. If you get off wifi, don't do things that use data. Email, iMessage, Safari, Facebook, Twitter, games, streaming music, movies, YouTube, and etc. I stay on WiFi 97% of the time. I have used
.228gb since the 13th. 4 days left. There's nothing wrong with your phone. AT&T is not scamming you. You'll find it!

cronaldo

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
No. They don't have time to pull fast ones on people. Besides, if they did, people would know and they would go out of business. I see complaints like this on all the carrier forums or sites. There's nothing wrong with your phone. AT&T is not scamming you. You'll find it!

As Led said above many people believe that carriers are pulling fast ones or trying to scam people that they are not. They do have fees and all these other things that are fully disclosed when you upgrade or sign a new contract. However, I would check to see if maybe you are unintentionally leaving apps open (even with background refresh off these can still pull data). Also did you download any new apps or anything since the time you never went over data? Sometimes apps can pull data even if it doesn't seem like they would. Are you getting more e-mails with attachments (or larger attachments)? These are all things that can contribute to the increased use of data. I would really take a hard look if anything even if it seems insignificant has changed and that can be the answer to your data woes.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77