Next Program Device Question

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am normally the go-to guy at work for questions about devices and services, but this question from a coworker has me stumped...I figured I might get some help from here for her!

She has an iPhone 5s on the Next program, and wants to add a new line to get a 6. She would be using the 6 for herself, and swap her sim to have it on the primary line (the already existing line), and is debating either selling the 5s to her family member who is in need of a phone.

I explained that she would still need to pay out the monthly payments on the 5s, since she may not have the phone to "trade in" after the 12 months are up. The question is...is this possible to do with a device on the next program? Do the devices work this way, just as they would if you bought it outright or paid for a 2 year contract pricing?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am normally the go-to guy at work for questions about devices and services, but this question from a coworker has me stumped...I figured I might get some help from here for her!

She has an iPhone 5s on the Next program, and wants to add a new line to get a 6. She would be using the 6 for herself, and swap her sim to have it on the primary line (the already existing line), and is debating either selling the 5s to her family member who is in need of a phone.

I explained that she would still need to pay out the monthly payments on the 5s, since she may not have the phone to "trade in" after the 12 months are up. The question is...is this possible to do with a device on the next program? Do the devices work this way, just as they would if you bought it outright or paid for a 2 year contract pricing?

It depends on where she is in the Next plan process. As long as she fully pays for the phone, it is hers to do with as she pleases. The 'trade in' process is for getting a new phone ON THE SAME LINE. If she adds a new line to get a new phone, she can keep both - but will have to continue paying on both until the device is fully paid for.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, and that is what I thought....if you lend the phone or sell it, or whatever, you still need to pay out the 24 month "contract".

But as far as selling, lending, etc, the phone...the person she would be giving the phone to would be able to use it, correct? She would just have to still pay for the phone's monthly installments.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
If I understand it right, 5S is already on the Next program (12+ months) and you haven't still paid all the installments.

If she adds another line and gets a 6 on that line
1a. She will be paying $25 data + $$ Installment for the iPhone 6 assuming family share
1b. She will be still paying $25 data + $$ Installment for the iPhone 5S

If she decides to switch the SIM that will work and both lines are still active

If she decides to give one of the phone away she still will be paying for the line (1b) or she can do a ETF (+ balance on installment)

She does have an option to get a new iPhone 6 on next on the same line, sell the iPhone 5S to cover the balance on installment (assuming you are 12+ month, and it as 18 month installment, roughly 6 x monthly installments, right? I would check that with AT&T too).

There are lot of variables here.
-Is she giving the phone to a family member who is part of the data share?
-what plan does the family member have? It is expensive to add a smartphone to data share ($40) v/s next ($25) per month. Would it be smart to just get a new phone through the service.
-is the family member on AT&T? Else she will have to request an unlock on the same which will not be processed till everything is settled + 14 days on the new iPhone.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, and that is what I thought....if you lend the phone or sell it, or whatever, you still need to pay out the 24 month "contract".

But as far as selling, lending, etc, the phone...the person she would be giving the phone to would be able to use it, correct? She would just have to still pay for the phone's monthly installments.

Yes. Just swap the SIM cards around and you’re good to go.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If I understand it right, 5S is already on the Next program (12+ months) and you haven't still paid all the installments.

If she adds another line and gets a 6 on that line
1a. She will be paying $25 data + $$ Installment for the iPhone 6 assuming family share
1b. She will be still paying $25 data + $$ Installment for the iPhone 5S

If she decides to switch the SIM that will work and both lines are still active

If she decides to give one of the phone away she still will be paying for the line (1b) or she can do a ETF (+ balance on installment)

She does have an option to get a new iPhone 6 on next on the same line, sell the iPhone 5S to cover the balance on installment (assuming you are 12+ month, and it as 18 month installment, roughly 6 x monthly installments, right? I would check that with AT&T too).

There are lot of variables here.
-Is she giving the phone to a family member who is part of the data share?
-what plan does the family member have? It is expensive to add a smartphone to data share ($40) v/s next ($25) per month. Would it be smart to just get a new phone through the service.
-is the family member on AT&T? Else she will have to request an unlock on the same which will not be processed till everything is settled + 14 days on the new iPhone.

Yea, lots of variables! Haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice