AT&T non iPhone data plan with an iphone

alphacc82

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have searched the internet and have found mixed results for an answer I am looking for. Some say its possible some say its not.

So here is the situation. I currently have a non-iphone data plan. This allows me to swap my sim card to any of my phones at any point. Android, windows phone, blackberry, etc. What I would like to do is get an iPhone 4S and use the same data plan. Just switch the sim out.

I have found people saying they did this without issues and I have also found people saying that your data plan will automatically be changed any time you switch from a non iphone data plan to an iphone.

It seems that some people have had success if they have an iPhone data plan and put the sim in a non iphone device. Its hard to say as I have not have much success finding a solid answer...

So now I am trying to find someone that is actually doing this and who could give me an answer.

Thanks in advance!

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Data will not work. Media Net(dumb phone internet) worked on the 2G and 3G versions but AT&T and Apple have since patched and updated that. Need iPhone data for iPhone to work properly.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have searched the internet and have found mixed results for an answer I am looking for. Some say its possible some say its not.

So here is the situation. I currently have a non-iphone data plan. This allows me to swap my sim card to any of my phones at any point. Android, windows phone, blackberry, etc. What I would like to do is get an iPhone 4S and use the same data plan. Just switch the sim out.

I have found people saying they did this without issues and I have also found people saying that your data plan will automatically be changed any time you switch from a non iphone data plan to an iphone.

It seems that some people have had success if they have an iPhone data plan and put the sim in a non iphone device. Its hard to say as I have not have much success finding a solid answer..!

No, this will definitely not work. After you put your SIM from a regular phone into a smartphone like the iPhone, AT&T will first send you a message and shortly after that automatically switch you over to one of their iPhone data plans.

alphacc82

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Its a regular smart phone plan. Given the devices above, I use LTE and such. Well that stinks as I have a grandfathered 2GB plan that I get a corporate discount on, I don't want to loose it. I also want working data when I switch to one of my other smart phones. Guess I am out of luck...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Its a regular smart phone plan. Given the devices above, I use LTE and such. Well that stinks as I have a grandfathered 2GB plan that I get a corporate discount on, I don't want to loose it. I also want working data when I switch to one of my other smart phones. Guess I am out of luck...

Well hold on a sec. From your original post it sounded like you weren't on a smartphone plan already. However, if you are currently on a grandfathered 2GB smartphone plan there is no reason you can't keep it. What you need to do if you plan on using that plan with an iPhone is call AT&T and tell them that you want to switch your current data plan to the iPhone. This will allow AT&T to provision your current 2GB regular smartphone plan over to a 2GB iPhone data plan. The price that you pay now will remain the same. Without calling them you would run the risk of losing your current plan if they just switch your data plan automatically after the iPhone was detected on your account.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk 2

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what Irish Rose said; if you HAVE a smartphone data plan, it will apply to the iphone. For example, with AT&T I have had the unlimited data plan for years starting with the orpginal iphone. Because I have not altered my plan in any way, or changed carriers, etc., I have been able to keep the unlimited data plan grandfathered into my plan. It sounds like you are in the same boat (from your follow up post).

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
If I'm understanding you correctly you just want to take the sim from your android/windows phone/blackberry and put it in an iPhone without changing to an iPhone data plan thereby allowing you to switch back to the other phone if necessary? Just go to unlockit.co.nz from the iPhone (you'll have to do this on wifi obviously), choose "create APN" and choose your carrier. For example, the last time I did this I chose the AT&T LTE profile because I was switching back and forth between an AT&T iPhone and Galaxy S4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD