Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5s?

austriak5

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5S?

For the last couple years, AT&T has given me the option of an early upgrade to the latest iphone for $450 instead of the normal $200. I checked using the apple store app and it says that if i was to buy an iphone 5 today it would be $649 but on Sept. 15, 2013, I am eligible to buy it for $449.

Does anyone know if AT&T will be doing the early upgrade for the iphone 5S? I did it last time and it was worth paying the extra $100 after what I had sold my iphone 4 for. Not sure if it will be this time but I like the option. Also, I contacted customer support and got them to credit back the upgrade fees AT&T charge.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
re: Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5S?

Nobody knows until it's released, and/or upgrade pricing is announced.

I got my 4S in October 2011, and I've been eligible for a full discounted upgrade since March, and of course will be out of contact in October.

It's temping to wait until I'm out of contract, then have the phone unlocked by AT&T, which will increase its resale value, toward the next gen.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
re: Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5S?

If it says now that you have a partial upgrade available, you can use it for the iPhone 5s. I am due for one now and in the past was due after I was 6 months into a contract. AT&T has been inconsistent with their partial upgrades so it is best to check with customer care to find out for sure.

nokia4life

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5S?

Last year for the iPhone 5 I got the partial after in the past always getting the full early upgrade so I am on record with saying that you will join me as one of the Many that pay the partial 450.00 here we come

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 4

trandz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Yeap. I joined ATT with the 4S. The 5 I did the early upgrade, and probably will for the 5S especially if its that gold color.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Will AT&T Provide Early Upgrades For The iPhone 5S?

Yeap. I joined ATT with the 4S. The 5 I did the early upgrade, and probably will for the 5S especially if its that gold color.

I thought the way AT&T's partial upgrade system was set up so that the one year you purchase the iPhone at the full discount pricing then in 6 months you qualify for an early upgrade at partial pricing,then they don't give you another partial upgrade until 6 months after the next full subsidy upgrade. If this is the case and you had a full upgrade with the 4S followed by an early upgrade with the 5, I don't think you would qualify for a early upgrade with the 5S this time. I could be wrong, but this is what I read over at MR from members who didn't get a early upgrade with the iPhone 5.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

They'll now let you upgrade every year. It will wind up costing you the same thing as if you paid full freight though, because they will add the subsidy to your bill in monthly increments. If you want to upgrade again early next year, you'll have to return your last phone (instead of selling it), and start over again with your additional monthly charge (between $20-$50).

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

They'll now let you upgrade every year. It will wind up costing you the same thing as if you paid full freight though, because they will add the subsidy to your bill in monthly increments. If you want to upgrade again early next year, you'll have to return your last phone (instead of selling it), and start over again with your additional monthly charge (between $20-$50).

Just wanted to mention for people like myself that are in the middle of a 2 year contract don't qualify for AT&T's "Next" program that is mentioned here. Also those who do have an early upgrade available now and choose to use it won't qualify for this either as their contracts will be extended for another 2 years.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Not anymore..they change the requirements few months back

Are you sure about this? I know AT&T just removed the ability to do a "full upgrade" every 20 months, however, I don't believe they have removed the early or "Partial upgrade" at this time. A friend of mine who got an iPhone 6 months ago just had an early upgrade applied to her account which wasn't there last month.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

I think you can still do the early upgrade. I checked my account online and I have early iPhone upgrades available for 2 out of 3 of them. True that you will need to then fulfill the whole 2-year agreement before you can upgrade that line again. You can't just do early upgrades every 6 months continuously. I'm probably going to bite the bullet and do an early on line 2 since I have a 32 gb iPhone 5 to pony up. By the time the iPhone 6 comes out, line 3 will be eligible for a full upgrade. My main line will be available for the iPhone 6s full upgrade. Not that I've been planning and scheming, mind you!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro