Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JustMe'D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Default HD Voice on AT&T

I'm definitely not a cell engineer but there have been some seemingly conflicting details over the last 7 months. AT&T announced that it plans to enable HD Voice later in 2013 and made specific mention that it is part of their VoLTE strategy. T-Mobile currently uses their UMTS network for HD Voice however. Regardless of the practicality or even authenticity of the recent "hacked carrier profiles" from iTweakiOS, they claimed to enable AMR-WB on AT&T iPhone 5's (as AT&T supposedly continues to work on rolling this out across the country). As I am led to believe, AMR-WB uses the UMTS network, not LTE and carriers are a little ways away from routing all compatible voice traffic over their LTE networks. Is there any reliable source for what technology AT&T will be using or is currently rolling out and will we see both implementations in the future, albeit at different times? This also leads to the question; will an iOS update be required to activate either one of these (AMR-WB or VoLTE) or will it require no action/ carrier update, the latter of which would seem to verify the work being done by iTweakiOS.

Global Posts
    22,914 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: HD Voice on AT&T

Dude...in English, please...
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I've moved this thread to the Carrier Discussion Lounge, on the off chance someone understands the question.

If no one understands the question, you might want to ask Mickey Papillon, aka, The Cellphone Junkie.
    Thanked by:
    Avenged110 (08-02-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

it's in the ipsw; you can enable it w a carrier hack

Google it
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by wbkm85 View Post
    it's in the ipsw; you can enable it w a carrier hack

Google it
    Ftr I installed the hacked carrier profile. However, I don't trust them to know AT&T's plans and if their implementation of HD Voice coincides with VoLTE then the hack's "enabling" of voice over the UMTS network would be irrelevant. Also, that would be a carrier update, no influence from Apple or required update to the ipsw.