AT&T's Next Plan...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Another article says Verizon is doing some edge thing .. Seems they all are trying to find a new way

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Now, this does not affect the two year contract right?? I could use this every two years when the contract is still running

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I don't think so.
AT&T Next is available for new AT&T customers or existing customers who are upgrade eligible.

The Next program is such a bad deal. If used the way you're thinking, it could be good. But the above quote would seem to imply that won't be the case.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
RIP OFF.. At&t is gonna make a huge profit from this if someone upgrades phones every year using Next.
we're better off using the subsidized price for the first contract, the next year sell the phone and pay full price, and using the subsidy again a year later.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
RIP OFF.. At&t is gonna make a huge profit from this if someone upgrades phones every year using Next.
we're better off using the subsidized price for the first contract, the next year sell the phone and pay full price, and using the subsidy again a year later.

Yep.... how do you know your wireless company is screwing you? Their lips are moving... If they offer you a "deal", run the other direction as fast as you can...

And they set this whole thing up by wiping out any chance of an early upgrade... I remember, because if the amount of my monthly bill I got upgrade prices every year.. then it was 20 months... now it’s 24 month... but wait, have they got a deal for you...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yep.... how do you know your wireless company is screwing you? Their lips are moving... If they offer you a "deal", run the other direction as fast as you can...

And they set this whole thing up by wiping out any chance of an early upgrade... I remember, because if the amount of my monthly bill I got upgrade prices every year.. then it was 20 months... now it’s 24 month... but wait, have they got a deal for you...

​Outstanding response, Fausty82, and you are spot-on, sir...:)

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
and no interest charge according to them, I bet they'll sell the next 16gb iphone at around 700, so the interest is actually built into the price...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site

And they set this whole thing up by wiping out any chance of an early upgrade... I remember, because if the amount of my monthly bill I got upgrade prices every year.. then it was 20 months... now it?s 24 month... but wait, have they got a deal for you...

It's like one of those commercials where they sell crappy products and at the end they go " but wait, there's more "...

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
The other option is not using this option...

I honestly think it's a great program that they're going to offer. Some people like to lease cars... This is sort of the same thing.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
you end up paying a lot more if you use Next every year, and you can accomplish the same result paying much less selling your device every year... This article explains it pretty well.
AT&T's Next phone upgrade plans are a huge ripoff | The Verge

Same with leasing. You pay more at the end, but not in the beginning!

I buy devices off contract all the time and have 6 lines (all mine) and always have upgrades, but I know my friend would take advantage of this as he wouldn't mind paying the $50 a month for the device and not having to pay for it like I do.

So... for you, it is a bad option. For many others, I see this working for them.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Same with leasing. You pay more at the end, but not in the beginning!

I buy devices off contract all the time and have 6 lines (all mine) and always have upgrades, but I know my friend would take advantage of this as he wouldn't mind paying the $50 a month for the device and not having to pay for it like I do.

So... for you, it is a bad option. For many others, I see this working for them.

It’s a great deal for the AT&Ts and VZWs of the world... their user base is perpetually paying equipment fees...

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Here's a 4 year scenario with two options, the first one is someone who upgrades every year selling their old device and paying full price when not elegible, the second is someone who uses AT&T Next every year to upgrade.
The following example assumes that :

- Both users have an iphone 5 and are not elegible for an upgrade this year.
- Resale value of previous iphone of about 450 dollars ( 16gb ).
- Full price of 16gb : $650
- Im not considering the subsidy since at&t charges you regardless of what option you go with.
- That at&t Next will use $650 as the base price ( $ 32.5 a month ), yeah right !!!! , but for the sake of it.

User 1 : Full Price

Year 1 : sells for 450, buys 650 = -200
Year 2: sells 450 , buys 199. = + 251
Year 3: sells 450 - buys 650 = -200
Year 4 : sells 450 - buys 199 = +251

At the end of the 4th year this user has an iPhone that is fully paid and $102 in cash.

User 2 : Next - $390 a year ( 32.5 *12)

Year 1: sells 450,pays 390 = +60
Year 2: pays 390
Year 3: pays 390
Year 4: pays 390

At the end of the 4th year User 2 has spent $1.110 dollars and owns no equipment.

RIP OFF !!!!

Last edited: