Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Global Posts
    4,770 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    Has anyone else been told by the AT&T rep that this was a Apple directive? The lady I spoke with was very pleasant all the way through the conversation. She tried to push the upgrade through on my primary account (primary of 5-line account of iPhones w monthly bill just over $250) - the line for which I was given an annual upgrade for at least the past 5 years... only to find out that she could not work around it. When I pushed her on "why it changed?" she said that it was something Apple now required.

I explained that Apple had nothing to do with it - their primary objective was to sell the phones, and it was AT&T that offered the subsidy/allowed (or disallowed) early upgrades, etc... and at that point she became quite short and started working to end the call.

Do they all think that we're stupid enough to believe whatever crap they want to throw at us?

I read online somewhere that others were reporting similar reasoning, and was wondering if any one here had gotten it, too.
    They've used the Apple excuse since the first iPhone.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Air 2 & iPad Mini Retina
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by Taunman View Post
    So what I'm getting from you is that your a whiny spoiled rotten individual. Who has no respect for people. First of all you are going take an IPhone and return it later so that another person will not have the chance to pick one up. Secondly your going to hit the person who gets stuck selling that phone with a return rate as well a diminished pay check. Please grow up and realize that your actions have consequences that affect other individuals.

Best Regards,

The gentleman who will most likely get stuck helping you.
    Yep. You nailed. Have a good day.

P.S. Apple employees don't get commission. Also, I explicitly told the rep that if he can't guarantee a Friday delivery, I didn't want to place an order, and that I'd just wait in line. He placed the order anyway.
    Last edited by Leanna Lofte; 09-17-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    io5

Quote Originally Posted by CooperS84 View Post
    Your credit couldn't have anything less to do with your upgrade eligibility.. I have great credit, and have never missed a payment on my ATT account and my date was changed due to "changing my phone number"..
    Not your regular upgrade, an early upgrade. I got an upgrade months in advance. The upgrade was until this July or august and was able to upgrade super early in march.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

How are you going to return the open used iPhone back to the store? Dont they have a limit or restriction on the number of minutes it has for them to return it?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #55  
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz888 View Post
    How are you going to return the open used iPhone back to the store? Dont they have a limit or restriction on the number of minutes it has for them to return it?
    Apple gives you 30 days to return an iPhone as long as you have the original packaging and the phone isn't damaged. Even if I was opening a brand new line, the number of minutes wouldn't matter -- carriers will prorate your charges for the portion of the month that you had active service. But I'll be adding it to an existing plan, so I don't even have to worry about that.
    Thanked by:
    jalba3 (10-04-2012)
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: well...

Quote Originally Posted by aileronguy View Post
    I have been a cingular/att customer for over a decade. I have 5 phones on the plan. Unlimited text, One iPhone and one blackberry, three dumbphones.

I have never missed a payment, never had a complaint. I upgraded one phone last year, and waited to upgrade my iPhone 4 until the 5 came out.

I went in to the store to pre-order, and found out I am not eligible, even though last year all my phones except one were supposedly eligible this year. "Somehow" (according to the att rep in the store) my dates are all changed, and I can't upgrade ANY until Nov 1.

Their reply to my incredulity? "Come back and see us maybe we can work something out in 6 weeks or so."

Att really does have No business running a profit. I am now looking forward to my switch to Verizon. At least I may get a hotspot, instead of a eff-off from a jerk rep (oh yeah, he was an asst mgr).
    ATT changes those dates all the time. They tried that on me last year but I had print screens from my account. The rep on the phone said no way they were those dates. Went into a store and had the manager call them with the print screens. Problem solved.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: After all that... I'm sticking with AT&T

i used to work for at&T.its true apple wont let them process any overrides with an iphone...bcause its an "iphone"!
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by katrzyana View Post
    i used to work for at&T.its true apple wont let them process any overrides with an iphone...bcause its an "iphone"!
    That makes ZERO sense... especially since Apple is in the business of selling phones. Telling a provider not to sell a new (subsidized) phone is costing Apple and the provider a sale.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had a semi similar experience with AT&T for this upgrade as well which made me consider switching after nearly 6 years with them.

Basically I went into AT&T to upgrade my phone on 9/14. I was using my dads upgrade and he was then going to get my iPhone 4 that I had. Everything was set. On Sept 20th I got my bank account balance text message and noticed it was $200 more than it should have been. I checked my statement and sure enough the AT&T charge for the phone was gone. I called corp and they stated that my order somehow got canceled and I needed to reorder. I was not happy as the lead time was now 3-4 weeks when I should have gotten my phone delivered Sept 21st to the AT&T store. This made me pretty upset considering my iPhone actually started showing some issues the day before the phone was released. This hadn't been the first time AT&T had screwed up for me in the last 3 months (double payments and not removing international charges when asked to which resulted in over $240 over payments) and decided if they didn't help me figure out the issue I would consider switching to Sprint or even Verizon.

I logged into the AT&T chat and confirmed that my upgrade had been restored in writing, printed it out and then went to the Apple store in hopes they would have some iPhones left, and they did! I was able to purchase my iPhone 5 for $199 and then have the lines switched around as they needed to be.

A couple days later I found a $215 charge from AT&T for my iPhone, because the one they said was canceled had just been shipped! I was not happy. I called AT&T and no one could explain to me what was going on. I then got an email stating that my iPhone was ready for pick up at the store. I went into the store and discussed this with the manager. After doing research on her end it looked like I had only gotten 1 iPhone 5 for my upgrade (the one she had in her hand). She checked all of our other lines to make sure the other upgrades weren't used. In the end she determined that this phone in her hand was rightfully mine because I had paid for it. She agreed that someone made a major mistake and that because she didn't see any issues on their end I should just take the extra iPhone 5 home with me...and I did.

In the end I put that iPhone 5 on eBay and it sold in 8 minutes for $800 and it worked out for me. Luckily for them I wasn't having any other bills pending at the time they took their money for the second phone as it probably would have ended much differently!
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,632 Global Posts

My upgrade is available nov 8. I'll test next week if they'll let me:

- use it for my wife's line a few weeks early
    - use it for an iPhone 4S

Been with AT&T since 2007 (from Verizon) and the only issue with customer service I had was when I moved to Colorado 3 years ago and this d bag tried charging me $60 per line fee to change area codes. I asked him to verify that multiple times and he insisted. I asked to talk to his supervisor and while on hold the line was cut lol. I called back the next day and the nice lady said moving and stalking allow for number change fee waived. Problem solved.

Its a fact the random person in the call center you talk to makes a world of difference.
    iMore Expert

Default After all that... I'm sticking with AT&T

Last year my elegibility date for the 4S was november 24th, a couple of days before that at&t changed it to February 2012, when I called them they couldn't really tell me why that happened but one of the representatives said I did some changes to my plan a few weeks earlier, i dont remember what I did but it was only a feature change, nothing that should affect the contract, she recommended NOT to make any changes to your plan when the upgrade date is approaching..
    They were not able to change the date but they offered me a 125 dollars credit to my account, which I accepted =)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guacho View Post
    Last year my elegibility date for the 4S was november 24th, a couple of days before that at&t changed it to February 2012, when I called them they couldn't really tell me why that happened but one of the representatives said I did some changes to my plan a few weeks earlier, i dont remember what I did but it was only a feature change, nothing that should affect the contract, she recommended NOT to make any changes to your plan when the upgrade date is approaching..
    They were not able to change the date but they offered me a 125 dollars credit to my account, which I accepted =)
    That is very, very odd, since account features have absolutely nothing to do with your upgrade status. I've made changes to my account just before I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and nothing changed with it.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    That is very, very odd, since account features have absolutely nothing to do with your upgrade status. I've made changes to my account just before I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and nothing changed with it.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
    They were probably just making that up... They said that my monthly bill went down a bit because of the change I made and that might've triggered the date change..
    iPhone Nanite

" When you are given upgrade pricing, AT&T is essentially giving you a loan (the subsidy). You pay off that loan by paying your bill. If you were late twice in a year, you were late for over 16% of your payments. The only way to prove to AT&T that you're a valuable customer is to make your payments on time. "

Sorry I disagree with that statement. Given upgrade pricing by At&T is NOTHING like a loan at all. That analogy does not ring true to me.

Very interested in reading about your experience, though.
    iPhone Nanite

Sounds like switching to Verizon originally would have been easier. Hindsight, huh? I hate AT&T; I've been through virtually the same nonsense described here. I'm ready. This seals it.

Thank you.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123