Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default At&t new unlock policy?

All the news reports about the new AT&t unlocking policy mention upgrading as a way to become eligible for an unlock...but does that just mean your OLD phone is eligible, or can you unlock the phone you get with the upgrade?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

No one will no until it goes live in a few hours from when I type this, but I believe it only applies to phones not under any current contract.

How does this work if you bought an iPhone via Craigslist or eBay? Who knows. I assume it's eligible.
    blah blah blah witty signature blah blah blah
    iPhone Pro

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I also heard about it!! If AT&T does in fact start doing this, it's a good move for their customers. I'm on Verizon so it doesn't matter for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iPhone 4S ~ 32GB ~ Verizon
    Twitter
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    All the news reports about the new AT&t unlocking policy mention upgrading as a way to become eligible for an unlock...but does that just mean your OLD phone is eligible, or can you unlock the phone you get with the upgrade?
    Any phone that is still on a subsidized contract will stay locked

When you upgrade, only your old phone will be eligible.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Timhewitt View Post

That's what I figured...guess I'll have to wait a couple of months to get my iP4 unlocked. Hope AT&T doesn't change their position on this during that time!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Damn! And I just bought a 4S over the weekend, was hoping the new phone was eligible.

Sidenote I wonder what made AT&T have a sudden change of mind?
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    Sidenote I wonder what made AT&T have a sudden change of mind?
    They probably had enough of customers complaining or they were getting sued.

Also, has anyone gone to an AT&T store and asked about this unlock? I'm dying to know if they actually do it.

Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Once Tim Cook ordered the unlocking of that person's device, that act rendered their policy of not unlocking devices for any reason whatsoever moot, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Once Tim Cook ordered the unlocking of that person's device, that act rendered their policy of not unlocking devices for any reason whatsoever moot, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    I suspect you are correct, and their desire to avoid legal action over future unlock requests was likely at the forefront of this decision.

Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I suspect you are correct, and their desire to avoid legal action over future unlock requests was likely at the forefront of this decision.
    No doubt about it, my friend.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPad 2)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

My iPhone 4 is now unlocked and running on T-Mobile, which is nice because I won't have to switch my AT&T sim in and out of my factory unlocked iPhone 4S anymore.

***Note to jailbreakers*** Unlocking requires you to restore in iTunes which will unjailbreak your iPhone. If you have an iPhone 4S and want to remain jailbroken, wait till a jailbreak is available for 5.1 before going ahead with the unlock process.

The unlock process is really easy, and AT&T was really good about putting the unlock request through for me. Anyone reading this, if you have a iPhone that you would like unlocked simply call AT&T customer care and choose the option for technical support. They will ask for your iPhones IMEI number Settings, General, About) and mobile number that the phone was linked to. After that the rep will check your eligibility status ( out of contact with account in good standing, or paid full retail for your iPhone). There is a few minutes of waiting while the rep puts the request through, then you'll receive a email shortly afterwards that looks like this:

I was told the unlock request could take several hours but it didn't. I did a back up and restore in iTunes the minute I got off of the phone and as soon as that was completed I tested it with my T-Mobile sim and it worked!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 04-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Seems fair to me.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    Seems fair to me.
    Very true. AT&T isn't going to take a hit on any iPhone. However, they will unlock any iPhone as long as the customer has paid the ETF.

Sent from my iPad 4G using Tapatalk HD.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

AT&T unlocked my iPhone 4S today after the 5-7 business day wait. No ETF.

Global Posts
    17,383 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
    AT&T unlocked my iPhone 4S today after the 5-7 business day wait. No ETF.
    That is a smart move by AT&T. Think about it. Heck, I'd unlock my customers' phones if they requested and I'd do it for free. If they are still under contract, more than likely they are not going to change providers and if they opted to switch before the expiration of their contract then they will have to pay an ETF. Even if they went ahead an inserted a competitor's sim card and used it exclusively they are still being charged by AT&T until they terminate their service. It's a win-win for the customer and AT&T, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
    (Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

@Ghostface. Did you pay full price for your 4S or were you on a contract?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    3,478 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    10B329

No, it was subsidized. I am still on contract. PM for details.
    iPhone Nanite

i just unlocked my iphone 4 with at&t and it work for me and like 7 days the iphone got locked againg what can i do or what happend??
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mafia16 View Post
    i just unlocked my iphone 4 with at&t and it work for me and like 7 days the iphone got locked againg what can i do or what happend??
    Something wasn't right the first time you unlocked it through iTunes because once you unlock your iPhone through AT&T and using the iTunes method the iPhone stays unlocked. My iPhone 4 is still unlocked after having it unlocked a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

AT&T came through for me again. This time they unlocked my AT&T White 4S. Only took 15 minutes from the time I hung up with Customer service till I connected and restored my 4S in iTunes to get the unlocked message. Now I can use my T-Mobile PP sim once in a while too.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Loved seeing that iTunes screen. And I'm still on AT&T! But still there was something freeing about knowing I can now leave whenever I want, on any version of iOS, etc. It felt like an officially sanctioned jailbreak, actually!
    sherlock likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Unlocked and still on contract!

I tried to use the AT&T web to submit for an unlock twice this week. Both times I received a message saying, "We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request.
    If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500."

So I simply called that number and told the CSR the message I encountered. She asked me to read the IMEI number associated with the iPhone and told me to make sure I have my phone backed up before restoring with iTunes. It was really that simple. I got the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked message."

Try it for yourselves.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts

Default Confirm unlock?

OK. AT&T approved my unlock and I followed the backup and restore process without issue. is there some indication in "settings" where I may confirm that my phone is really unlocked?

Quote Originally Posted by offdahglass View Post
    I tried to use the AT&T web to submit for an unlock twice this week. Both times I received a message saying, "We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request.
    If you have questions, review the general eligibility requirements for unlocking an iPhone.

Thank you for your business. For other questions about our wireless service or iPhones, contact AT&T Customer Care at (800) 331-0500."

So I simply called that number and told the CSR the message I encountered. She asked me to read the IMEI number associated with the iPhone and told me to make sure I have my phone backed up before restoring with iTunes. It was really that simple. I got the "Congratulations, your phone is unlocked message."

Try it for yourselves.

Hmmm, I have tried it twice, and gotten the same email. I guess I will have to call.

Once unlocked, is it considered "factory unlocked"? Or can the unlock be removed (say, be restoring the phone)?

Chris
    Please remember to "like" posts that are useful, entertaining, or beneficial.

Twitter: @skeetobite | Google+: ChrisVitek | Game Center: DRSKEETO

Current Devices | iPad 2 32GB Wifi | iPad Air 128GB Wifi | iPhone 5S 64GB AT&T
    Past Devices: Visor Deluxe | Visor Prism | Zire 72 | Treo 680 | iPhone 3G | iPhone 3GS | iPhone4 | iPad 1 64GB AT&T | iPhone 4S | iPad 3 64GB Verizon LTE |
    iPhone 5 64GB AT&T
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's carrier unlocked, which does not get reversed. I just got my 4 unlocked. Will restore to complete it in a few hours, after the 5 arrives.

Request number: 115902
    Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.

We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.

Please allow 24 hours upon receipt of this notification to complete the unlock.

To complete the unlock, simply:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have Internet connectivity.
    2. Ensure a SIM card is inserted into your iPhone.
    3. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
    4. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes. For information on backup and restore, please visit .
    5. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked.

Additional information on unlocking can be found at

For questions regarding AT&T's wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center.

We thank you for your continued business.

Sincerely,
    AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
    All replies are automatically deleted.
    Last edited by johndhynes; 09-21-2012 at 12:41 AM.
    iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, iPad 2
    iPhone user since 2009
    Jailbreaker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast