Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Arrow More proof AT&T will not take away "unlimited data"

    ... from grandfathered in customers when the next iPhone comes - I've heard from a few of you here that you think AT&T will not let grandfathered unlimited data users upgrade to an LTE iPhone when it comes out. I've disagreed with this statement before and I still do today. Not only can you buy an LTE device now and keep the unlimited data you can also grandfather in unlimited data with the new iPad data plans. Sorry folks, this will not change with the new iPhone.
  2. #2  
    slalomskie's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    476 Posts

    Default

    But with the 3gig cap before they start throttling your data not sure what good the unlimited plan will do for me? I got the text message las week that starting on my next cycle I will be throttled after 3 gigs. Interested to see or hear how bad the data throttling is.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
  3. #3  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,005 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,886 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default

    They'll call it "unlimited" and throttle at set caps like they're doing now...
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  4. #4  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    They don't throttle until 5GB with LTE phones.
  5. #5  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    They don't throttle until 5GB with LTE phones.
    That's with current LTE devices, but will it be like that with the next iPhone?
  6. #6  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    ... from grandfathered in customers when the next iPhone comes - I've heard from a few of you here that you think AT&T will not let grandfathered unlimited data users upgrade to an LTE iPhone when it comes out. I've disagreed with this statement before and I still do today. Not only can you buy an LTE device now and keep the unlimited data you can also grandfather in unlimited data with the new iPad data plans. Sorry folks, this will not change with the new iPhone.
    I am one of them saying they won't let us keep the unlimited plans. When I ordered my Lumia 900 last week they didn't even bring up switching off unlimited. The rep even made the point that I get 3GB on 3G and a separate 5GB on LTE before getting throttled.
  7. #7  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I am one of them saying they won't let us keep the unlimited plans. When I ordered my Lumia 900 last week they didn't even bring up switching off unlimited. The rep even made the point that I get 3GB on 3G and a separate 5GB on LTE before getting throttled.
    What that rep pointed out to you is the rules for the unlimited plans. There is no throttling associated with capped plans.
  8. #8  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    What that rep pointed out to you is the rules for the unlimited plans. There is no throttling associated with capped plans.
    I know, I have unlimited data. Now if only I could get them to go back to the $20/month 2007 price.
    Last edited by sting7k; 04-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    BLiNK likes this.
  9. #9  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,272 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I know, I have unlimited data. Now if only I could get them to go back to the $20/month 2007 price.
    Phones were much more expensive in 2007 including iPhone though
  10. #10  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Phones were much more expensive in 2007 including iPhone though
    I don't think they were. The original iPhone was $600 for a month or two and that is about what the off contract price is now. Most WinMo phones were around $300 that I could get off ebay around then. The most expensive were Nokia's which could be more than $600 for their wildest designs.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I don't think they were. The original iPhone was $600 for a month or two and that is about what the off contract price is now. Most WinMo phones were around $300 that I could get off ebay around then. The most expensive were Nokia's which could be more than $600 for their wildest designs.
    New in store Windows Mobile phones (off contract) were just as expensive as the iPhone then. Even Palm phones were $600 then.
  12. #12  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,272 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I don't think they were. The original iPhone was $600 for a month or two and that is about what the off contract price is now. Most WinMo phones were around $300 that I could get off ebay around then. The most expensive were Nokia's which could be more than $600 for their wildest designs.
    And then the 4GB iPhone was $399 and 8GB was $499 after a couple of months with contract. I would say that more expensive.
  13. #13  
    Alli's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    11,051 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

    Default

    I paid $699 for my original Treo 280. And that was well before the first iPhone.
  14. #14  
    rodger-bb's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sting7k View Post
    I know, I have unlimited data. Now if only I could get them to go back to the $20/month 2007 price.
    The $20 was for 2g not the 3G and HSPA+ we have today $30 for unlimited data is good deal even with the throttling at 3gb. IMO.
  15. #15  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodger3gs View Post
    The $20 was for 2g not the 3G and HSPA+ we have today $30 for unlimited data is good deal even with the throttling at 3gb. IMO.
    Agreed. I would much rather have my unlimited data plan and risk getting throttled for going over 3GB than than overage fees on a limited plan.
  16. #16  
    sting7k's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    And then the 4GB iPhone was $399 and 8GB was $499 after a couple of months with contract. I would say that more expensive.
    Were the lowered prices contract prices? The 4GB was $299 and the 8GB was $399 after the price drop. Those of use who paid $599 a little over two months prior got $100 rebates for the Apple Store after the outcry of dropping the price so drastically so soon. Still have the 160GB iPod Classic I bought with my rebate.

    I didn't think the original had any subsidy. I know I didn't sign a contract when I got it and it had no subsidy; $599 was the price. Which is why I was able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G the next year when it came out.

    The iPhone 4S is $649, $749, and $849 so the prices don't seem any different to me. On contract it's cheaper for you, but some carrier paid the rest of it.
  17. #17  
    gvndeb60's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,009 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Agreed. I would much rather have my unlimited data plan and risk getting throttled for going over 3GB than than overage fees on a limited plan.
    Same here. I am not happy that we are being throttled, but I am also not losing sleep over it bc I still do not have to worry about overage charges.
  18. #18  
    Freiteez's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    239 Posts

    Default

    Sure hope your right. That's not really the proof I was expecting. I think everything will change when verizon goes forward with their process of eliminating unlimited data. It's only inevitable that AT&T will follow in their footsteps and unlimited data will be a thing I the past (unless your on sprints snail pace network.)
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Administrator

    Posts
    7,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freiteez View Post
    Sure hope your right. That's not really the proof I was expecting. I think everything will change when verizon goes forward with their process of eliminating unlimited data. It's only inevitable that AT&T will follow in their footsteps and unlimited data will be a thing I the past (unless your on sprints snail pace network.)
    Sorry to disappoint, more of my opinion. But I stand by it still.
  20. #20  
    BLiNK's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,280 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, more of my opinion. But I stand by it still.
    i hope you are right but in a sense i feel like AT&T has begun to win the battle

    for the last 3 months in a row i have received their 3 GB throttling SMS message and i can tell when it takes effect. to the point of me knowing what to do and not to do until my cycle has ended. makes me want to rethink my data plan options (currently grandfathered - unlimited data)

    i'm open for suggestions or reasons why i should stay right where i am at..
  21. #21  
    Freiteez's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    239 Posts

    Default

    I can't handle being throttled. Been throttled the past 3 months and I'm about to switch to sprint. Their slow service but not being throttled is probably better then really gas for a week and then snail pace for 3 weeks, right?
  22. #22  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freiteez View Post
    I can't handle being throttled. Been throttled the past 3 months and I'm about to switch to sprint. Their slow service but not being throttled is probably better then really gas for a week and then snail pace for 3 weeks, right?
    I wouldn't do it. Switching to Sprint will feel like you're being throttled for 4 weeks, at least you're getting one free week of gas with AT&T, lol.


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
  23. #23  
    dfb8085's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freiteez View Post
    I can't handle being throttled. Been throttled the past 3 months and I'm about to switch to sprint. Their slow service but not being throttled is probably better then really gas for a week and then snail pace for 3 weeks, right?
    If your being throttled after only a week or so into your billing cycle you might want to try and get a life. My god man do your kiss it goodnight as well
  24. #24  
    dfb8085's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    195 Posts
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts

    Default

    Everyone one brings some good points to the table. I too had rather live with the throttling and keep my unlimited. I currently do not have an iPhone. I own a blackberry but I am switching to the iPhone 5 the day it comes out unless ATT does what Verizon did and require full payment for phone to keep unlimited. If that happens then I will go ahead and get 4s. After all being with a blackberry I'm use to being two generations behind everything else on the market. I will just continue to monitor the situation with att till the 5 comes out.
  25. #25  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfb8085 View Post
    If your being throttled after only a week or so into your billing cycle you might want to try and get a life. My god man do your kiss it goodnight as well
    This was an unnecessary comment. Who are we to judge the way he uses his phone? There are many things that could potentially use up a lot of data in a short amount of time. He never said what he was doing with his phone that would cause him to use 3GB in one week, ya know.....


    Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions