More proof AT&T will not take away "unlimited data"

Freiteez

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I can't handle being throttled. Been throttled the past 3 months and I'm about to switch to sprint. Their slow service but not being throttled is probably better then really gas for a week and then snail pace for 3 weeks, right?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't handle being throttled. Been throttled the past 3 months and I'm about to switch to sprint. Their slow service but not being throttled is probably better then really gas for a week and then snail pace for 3 weeks, right?

I wouldn't do it. Switching to Sprint will feel like you're being throttled for 4 weeks, at least you're getting one free week of gas with AT&T, lol.

Sent from my iPad LTE using Tapatalk HD.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If your being throttled after only a week or so into your billing cycle you might want to try and get a life. My god man do your kiss it goodnight as well

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Everyone one brings some good points to the table. I too had rather live with the throttling and keep my unlimited. I currently do not have an iPhone. I own a blackberry but I am switching to the iPhone 5 the day it comes out unless ATT does what Verizon did and require full payment for phone to keep unlimited. If that happens then I will go ahead and get 4s. After all being with a blackberry I'm use to being two generations behind everything else on the market. I will just continue to monitor the situation with att till the 5 comes out.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If your being throttled after only a week or so into your billing cycle you might want to try and get a life. My god man do your kiss it goodnight as well

This was an unnecessary comment. Who are we to judge the way he uses his phone? There are many things that could potentially use up a lot of data in a short amount of time. He never said what he was doing with his phone that would cause him to use 3GB in one week, ya know.....

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
This was an unnecessary comment. Who are we to judge the way he uses his phone? There are many things that could potentially use up a lot of data in a short amount of time. He never said what he was doing with his phone that would cause him to use 3GB in one week, ya know.....

I'm sorry. I should have thought first

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry. I should have thought first

That's cool, and I wasn't trying to come down on ya. I see from your other post that you use a Blackberry. Back when I was using one I had no idea just how much data a iPhone could use. Between the tethering and such I find that I use a lot more data each month on my iPhones than I did with any of my Blackberries.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That another thing that causes me some concern. I mean do blackberries just handle data more efficiently or since the iPhone is so much easier and handles browsing better you find yourself just using it more than you ever did your blackberry?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That another thing that causes me some concern. I mean do blackberries just handle data more efficiently or since the iPhone is so much easier and handles browsing better you find yourself just using it more than you ever did your blackberry?

Blackberries compress data, the iPhone doesn't is my understanding. But ya, because of the larger screen and being able to view full web pages instead of mobile sites I do use my iPhone more. Plus I can tether my 4S with my LTE iPad easily which also uses more data. I never tethered when I had a Blackberry.

Daspoo

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've got a grandpa'd unlimited data plan with HateT&T, and about a week ago (the last in the billing cycle for the month), I hit the 3GB throttling threshold. Determined to basically show them I'm committed to using the service for which I'm paying and have paid for years as a loyal customer, I proceeded to use the 'ell outta my phone for the rest of the remaining cycle time. Turns out, at least in my experience, the throttling wasn't so bad that it drove me crazy having to wait on things. I still was able to load web pages in a decent timeframe, and was even able to stream Pandora for about 90 minutes with no pauses, stutters, etc. YMMV of course. But with that realization, I'm not too concerned with the throttle so much that I'm looking elsewhere for a new plan/provider, or looking to reduce my internet usage. Sometimes Wi-fi ain't available, and when it's not I won't be panicking.

Just thought I'd contribute something to the conversation, since I think someone on Page 1 inquired about the throttling experience.

Reactions: Alli

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm Concerned about unlimited data...

Sounds like many of you are not worried, but I'm worried of losing my unlimited data when the new iphone comes out. It seems AT&T is following similar steps as Verizon. The CEO already stated he regrets ever making unlimited data available and that it was the biggest mistake in his carrer.

I feel that they are doing everything they can right now and trying to find a loop hole to where they can switch or make you switch to shared data or pay for data usage with the new iphone.

So far upgrading to a new iphone (still on 3g) has kept me on the unlimited this far.... but what will happen when 4G comes out. I wonder if the loop hole will be there and force us to switch to payed data if we upgrade to the new iphone.

4G is not in my area anyways..... I wouldn't mind even getting the iphone 5 and stay on 3G if I'm allowed. Closest 4G area would be almost 1hr or more away from home. But eventually I think we will be forced to get 4G and the 3G will be shut off or disabled.

Is sprint the only carrier so far stating that 4G unlimited data will not change even when the new iphone is released? Is this only for existing customers or is Sprint still allowing unlimited 4g for new customers? That may be a consideration I may have to take.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like many of you are not worried, but I'm worried of losing my unlimited data when the new iphone comes out. It seems AT&T is following similar steps as Verizon. The CEO already stated he regrets ever making unlimited data available and that it was the biggest mistake in his carrer. .

As an unlimited data customer I can say I'm not worried because I don't see AT&T taking it away any time soon, even though Verizon has already done so.

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
You Should......

Well you should be worried...... I also didn't expect companies to charge us for facetime over cellular, but it is coming.

I read today a report reference facetime on cellular where AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson was asked the question of charges for facetime and his response........

?I?ve heard the same rumor,? he said, insisting that for now, AT&T is focused on working with Apple to get the technology stabilized, so ?it?s too early to talk about pricing.?

Though sprint came in last as an iphone carrier, they are in need of new or more customers. Sprint has also stated that they will not charge for facetime over cellular and will offer unlimited data. It is quite clear that Sprint is trying to take customers from AT&T and Verizon..... and if they stick with it, AT&T and Verizon may be in for a rude awakening.

NEWS LINK......

Will AT&T Charge For 3G FaceTime? CEO Randall Stephenson Says It?s ?Too Early? To Know | TechCrunch

or

AT&T CEO Acknowledges Rumors of Cellular FaceTime Charges, Says 'Too Early' to Discuss - Mac Rumors

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Well you should be worried...... I also didn't expect companies to charge us for facetime over cellular, but it is coming.
No, still won't worry since FT is a feature that I rerely if ever use anyway. I guess for those who do use this feature not having an unlimited plan might cause them to reevaluate their usage a little, but no me. ;)

spanishcop

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Your right, for some this may not be a big deal. As for me, unlimited data is very important. FaceTime is also important once cellular connection for FaceTime is available. I have maybe used FaceTime twice because it is a pain to arrange a call and both be on wifi.

I think more people will use FaceTime once your able to call someone anytime whether they are on wifi or cellular. I know I will. I have a 3yr old I would like to see and say goodnight because I'm not there to say it in person due to work schedule.

I really wish and hope at&t will not change anything to make more money.... But it is not looking that way. I've been with att for many years, and it's upto them to keep me and many other customers satisfied and not make us leave to another provider. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iMassguy

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I've only used Facetime once because it can only be used on WiFi. But, Skype can be used anywhere.

I have the unlimited plan and as someone at the Apple store told me 2 years ago "never get rid of it". I've never crested 2 gig in a month. Usually in the 1.3-1.5 range. One month I used Pandora more in the car and that got me to 1.8. I might do this when my XM subscription runs out. I think the song section is better and I don't lose signal like I do with XM sometimes. Using this in the car all the time will probably push me closer to 3 gig or more per month. If I start getting throttled, I'll be making a call (probably useless). Unlimited should be unlimited. It's not our fault that they came out with it and now wish they hadn't.

The only time that I might think of going with a shared plan is when I get an iPad. Then I have to figure out how much data I'll be using. Most of the time it will be at home on my WiFi connection. Or so I think. I could carry it around like a priest with a bible and use it everywhere, WiFi or not. Then my usage will go up. At that point a shared plan might be the best thing for me.

Trexwarrior

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't anyone think that as technology evolves that unlimited data is bound to make a comeback? I look at this time as the awkward time between dial up and cable. Cable prices were sky high... I had to beg and plead with my parents to convince them to go cable and they have never looked back. Now cable is extremely affordable to the majority of the United States. I think Verizon and AT&T don't know how to handle the massive influx of data users due to innovations in technology such as iPhone and Android devices but the time will come. It will get cheaper to the point that unlimited just becomes a market norm. Maybe they will continue with tiered data and if it starts to impede on Apples business, well Apple has more money then God they could just buy one or both of the cell tycoons and we could all be on the Apple Network... Lol I digress but just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro