Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quis89
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    4,791 Global Posts

Default T-mobile one a scam against net neutrality?

Tbh it's great that they offer "unlimited" data and how they are marketing it is very bad IMHO. They are stating we would get unlimited 4G data but they never said anything about having only 480p or did quality video.... This was an ad on the radio. Isn't against what net neutrality goes for?

Default Re: T-mobile one a scam against net neutrality?

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    Tbh it's great that they offer "unlimited" data and how they are marketing it is very bad IMHO. They are stating we would get unlimited 4G data but they never said anything about having only 480p or did quality video.... This was an ad on the radio. Isn't against what net neutrality goes for?
    Best definition of net neutrality I could find states,
    Net neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers and governments regulating the Internet should treat all data on the Internet the same, not discriminating or charging differentially by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or mode of communication.
    I think it's a grey area. T-Mobile (and Sprint) is simply charging you more if you want "higher quality" data connections. They aren't limiting your data consumption. You still "technically" have unlimited. If you chose their base plan with the speeds they provide you can stream and do whatever you want til your hearts content. You have the option to upgrade those speeds and enjoy a higher "quality" connection that allows for better audio and video streams.

I do believe their campaign that allowed certain services to not use your data while others did violates Net Neutrality. But I'm not so sure about this one. I imagine it will be a while before we reach a point where we get truly unlimited data at any speed.

I do wish they would be more transparent about the fact that you have to pay extra if you want true 4G connection speeds and the quality of stream that comes with that.
    Closingracer likes this.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,631 Global Posts

Default Re: T-mobile one a scam against net neutrality?

Quote Originally Posted by Quis89 View Post
    Best definition of net neutrality I could find states,

I think it's a grey area. T-Mobile (and Sprint) is simply charging you more if you want "higher quality" data connections. They aren't limiting your data consumption. You still "technically" have unlimited. If you chose their base plan with the speeds they provide you can stream and do whatever you want til your hearts content. You have the option to upgrade those speeds and enjoy a higher "quality" connection that allows for better audio and video streams.

I do believe their campaign that allowed certain services to not use your data while others did violates Net Neutrality. But I'm not so sure about this one. I imagine it will be a while before we reach a point where we get truly unlimited data at any speed.

I do wish they would be more transparent about the fact that you have to pay extra if you want true 4G connection speeds and the quality of stream that comes with that.
    That's almost correct, the 4G speed for data never changes. They limit the quality of video, which has nothing to do with data speed. They cap video quality at DVD as opposed to HDDVD or Blu-Ray. You have to pay more for high quality HD video, which is playing favorites to their service and by requiring you to pay extra for that service it is a very clear breach of net neutrality.