AT&T data cap

Micah22

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Since 7/7/11 I've received 1.3 gb of data and I was wondering if anybody knew when the cap was going to start. And if any of you think I'll go over it. A little over a week and 1 gb seems like a lot but idk. Anybody else use more and not worried about it?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
are you on umlimited? If so, you dont need to worry since you are grandfathered unless you make changes to your data

Munky#AC

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
That's the one thing I really miss and reason why I regret switching to Sprint and then back to AT&T, is I lost my unlimited data. :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Those of you on unlimited better not get used to it...word is as soon as this last batch of 2 year contracts ends that provided the unlimited data service, EVERY person will be moved to a limited data usage plan...because AT&T is under no obligation to provide unlimited data plans to people who are not under contract to receive such.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Those of you on unlimited better not get used to it...word is as soon as this last batch of 2 year contracts ends that provided the unlimited data service, EVERY person will be moved to a limited data usage plan...because AT&T is under no obligation to provide unlimited data plans to people who are not under contract to receive such.

Not true at all. The only thing AT&T has planned for unlimited data plan customers is that our data will be throttled each month when we reach the 2.5 - 4GB limit that they plan on setting starting in October. Which is more than OK with me as I use a lot less than 2GB each month anyway. This will mostly be a problem for those who abuse the unlimited data plan by tethering hundreds of GB each month simply because they think AT&T owes it to them.

Link:http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/28/att-t...g-in-early-october-just-in-time-for-iphone-5/

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Does throttling really help the situation, though? Or will we just accept that things take longer?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does throttling really help the situation, though? Or will we just accept that things take longer?

IMHO, yes, it does help. As it will help make the network less congested and maintain the speed for those of us who don't abuse the system.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

Yeah, I have to disagree with this. I can renew my contract right now and transfer over my existing unlimited plan.

And regards to throttling. I don't think it is that big of a deal honestly. I use 8-10 gig a month and think I will be fine. People who use a tremendous amount of data might be hit but those are people who tethering a lot of prime targets I believe. For the record I never tether.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have to disagree with this. I can renew my contract right now and transfer over my existing unlimited plan.

And regards to throttling. I don't think it is that big of a deal honestly. I use 8-10 gig a month and think I will be fine. People who use a tremendous amount of data might be hit but those are people who tethering a lot of prime targets I believe. For the record I never tether.

Of course you can...ANYONE can that was grandfathered in...that wasn't the point of my post, the point was that when AT&T decides to STOP allowing people to have unlimited data plans, as soon as your current contract is over (or if you're not currently under contract), at ANY point they can simply switch you over, as they have ZERO obligation to you to provide you with unlimited data for your iPhone.

It actually reads quite clearly in the contract that after a contract has been fulfilled, AT&T reserves the right to change a customers features based on current data/voice plan offerings without notice...meaning they can change your data plan to the tiered system and send you a message saying "Enjoy your 2/4GB per month!" and there's NOTHING you can do about it outside of switching providers.

That day IS coming. The throttling is a temporary fix for them...it's so clear to see, the companies are all waiting to see which one of them makes the first move, and then it'll all come down like dominos...sounds like conspiracy theory right? Just watch... ;)

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Of course you can...ANYONE can that was grandfathered in...that wasn't the point of my post, the point was that when AT&T decides to STOP allowing people to have unlimited data plans, as soon as your current contract is over (or if you're not currently under contract), at ANY point they can simply switch you over, as they have ZERO obligation to you to provide you with unlimited data for your iPhone.

It actually reads quite clearly in the contract that after a contract has been fulfilled, AT&T reserves the right to change a customers features based on current data/voice plan offerings without notice...meaning they can change your data plan to the tiered system and send you a message saying "Enjoy your 2/4GB per month!" and there's NOTHING you can do about it outside of switching providers.

That day IS coming. The throttling is a temporary fix for them...it's so clear to see, the companies are all waiting to see which one of them makes the first move, and then it'll all come down like dominos...sounds like conspiracy theory right? Just watch... ;)

Ah, well I don't have anything to worry about honestly with the amount of phones I buy. I always stay in contract. I can see how it may effect others but not me.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Likewise, if you are eligible for an early upgrade, you are never "out of contract". You are simply extending it each time.

Chris

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site

I am absolutely certain you are in for a rude rude awakening, then. Based on what AT&T has said in the past (regarding who would be affected by tiered plans) I'm convinced that you are easily within the top 5%. As am I, averaging 5-6Gb/mo.

tkfox007

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

This is true, all cellphone companies can do this once the contract has been fulfilled. And when the contract is over they can jack up your rates, change your plan and even cancel your service.

They can also get away with changing features without your notice while you're in the contract, such as changing Unlimited data to "Unlimited data" like adding an invisible cap and shutting you off or throttling your speeds. In your contract it does say "We reserve the right to change features without your notice" Not change it to something different, but change how it works.

You may think that the carrier can't do anything you don't agree to because that would be a breach of contract, however the contract is written by the carrier so therefore it's meant to work for them, not you. There's loop holes in the contract that allows the carrier to do whatever they want.

tkfox007

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I am absolutely certain you are in for a rude rude awakening, then. Based on what AT&T has said in the past (regarding who would be affected by tiered plans) I'm convinced that you are easily within the top 5%. As am I, averaging 5-6Gb/mo.

That's true, AT&T (and Verizon for that matter) talk about the top 5% percent of users being throttled, however no one ever says what's the amount of data consumption that qualifies for that 5%. To them it could be anyone that exceeds 2 gigs. So if you go over 2 gigs of data, guess what? You're in that top 5%

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
I am convinced that ATT is already throttling many users. I average less then 2GB a month. I am on the old unlimited plan. But the connection speed is so slow lately. When I connect to my laptop, many of the graphics on basic web pages do not even come up. Many websites just hand, waiting to load. I am an outside sales rep in a major market and I get the same results no matter where I try to access the web.

I think they have the ability to see when you are tethering and they slow the speed.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with Sean on this as well. The next time you want to get a new phone AT&T does have the power to say sorry but if you want a discount on that phone you must sign a new contract and we are no longer offering unlimited data on any contracts.

Your options would be - take the discount and sign the contract losing unlimited data. Or kiss your subsidized phones good bye.

This is coming. I have no doubt.

@bigbubba, pretty much the same as what I said about unlimited data. AT&T must honor all terms until your contract is over. But once it's over it's over and the only way you will get a new phone at the discounted price is to sign a new contract with AT&T.

Finally, bring on the throttling. More bandwidth for me; I'm no where near the top 5%.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711