Switching from Sprint to Verizon in Chicago

ebarne

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Had AT&T on my 4S until 9/21 now with Verizon on a 5- I drive from Rogers Park to the Wheaton area daily and to the East coast regularly and rarely had issues with AT&T and don't have issues out and about with Verizon. The difference is indoors and I find Verizon better handling a signal indoors especially in the Rogers park area. Personally, I would not make a decision based on a faster LTE network, I get 8mb and above and that's fast enough for me. AT&T HSPA was awful around Rogers Park and nothing to write home about around Chicago and the burbs. AT&T customer service is definitely better than VZW. Hope this helps..

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank u att is not all that in the Chicago area in terms of signal strength

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

ups925

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
sprint lte is now up in chicago suburbs. It launched October 21st. I was told by the sprint rep september 21st, it wasnt up, i switched to verizon and now sprint has lte. I was beginning to go over my voice cap and had to leave sprint anyways. I constantly stream pandora and between my wife and I, we dont go above 2-3gb a month. Verizon works for me in the western burbs.

snobrdr2324

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Had AT&T on my 4S until 9/21 now with Verizon on a 5- I drive from Rogers Park to the Wheaton area daily and to the East coast regularly and rarely had issues with AT&T and don't have issues out and about with Verizon. The difference is indoors and I find Verizon better handling a signal indoors especially in the Rogers park area. Personally, I would not make a decision based on a faster LTE network, I get 8mb and above and that's fast enough for me. AT&T HSPA was awful around Rogers Park and nothing to write home about around Chicago and the burbs. AT&T customer service is definitely better than VZW. Hope this helps..

I don't believe customer service is something to consider as everyone will have a different experience. With cell service on ATT your description is spot on except I go up to NE Wisconsin from Chicago and ATT is awful there while Verizon is quite good, but I can easily say their customer service in my experience was much worse than what I've had with Verizon over the last couple years.

tekjunkie28

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea I have had Verizon for 4 years now and never had a single issue with customer service. I haven't really traveled much but my cousin now lives in Chicago and Verizon is excellent there. I have traveled from VA to Myrtle Beach and no issue except at the beach I had data issues on my 4s but not my wife's... I'll never understand why that was.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
My Sister Picked up iPhone 5 on sprint..Compared it to my AT&T signal.... Sprint was not to Shabby... It had LTE signal in Lincolnwood Mall, Andersonville and Niles.... So I say it's good to try it out... I'm Very Happy with AT&T..... I have no complaints on signal and I work all over the city.....

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
sprint lte is now up in chicago suburbs. It launched October 21st. I was told by the sprint rep september 21st, it wasnt up, i switched to verizon and now sprint has lte. I was beginning to go over my voice cap and had to leave sprint anyways. I constantly stream pandora and between my wife and I, we dont go above 2-3gb a month. Verizon works for me in the western burbs.

How did u go over your voice minutes lol I USE ABOUT 10 MIN A MONTH haha free mobile to mobile??? That's crazy lol but I'll never go back to vzw

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Thudstaff

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
My daughter and I went to the local Verizon store and ordered four 32gb iPhone 5's. Were were told they'd ship by 11/16 and arrive no later than 11/20. I actually got shipping confirmation today. They'll be here 11/14. I hope this is the last time I have to switch carriers. I've been on T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and now Verizon over the last 10+ years. My wife/kids will be getting their first iPhones. I think they're going to love them. They all have some sort of Samsung droid-based phone.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is not bad with reception when I was out there in the south side of chi town and in NY the data speeds are bad tho

If you live in a major city, then yes. You're fine.

If you live anywhere else, you're screwed. My phone was a glorified paperweight when I crossed the river from Tennessee in to Arkansas. No signal.

anon(1458)

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Ive had about 10 friends switch from Sprint to Verizon. Sprint actually went out of business here in my hometown. And its full of college students. lol

Thudstaff

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Got our phones activated. Been to the local Verizon store twice to get contacts transferred. Great customer service at my local store in the SW Chicago Suburbs. My signal has been great. The LTE coverage I have is equal to the speed of my home cable modem.

mellimel2212

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
My last speed test

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355786376319.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355786376319.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 55

mpedigo

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
We have been with Sprint for about 2 years and contract is just about over. For the first year it seemed the Sprint network was pretty stable and even internet speeds were reasonable on my EVO 4G. When Sprint began their "Network Vison" upgrades unannounced in the spring of 2012, you couldn't hardly make a call and most calls dropped. Internet usage went into the toilet. They claim they are done with the Chcago market but still regular dropped calls, difficulty making calls, and internet speed is only slightly better. As a family we hardly use 8GB and it is painful most of the time for me as a business user. I'm seriously considering switching to Verision as the price difference is slightly more for Verison and Sprint's 4G coverage is non-existant in many markets I travel to.

In my opinion all of these networks charge way too much for what they deliver...we are paying double what Europeans are paying in regards to data rates. I suppose that is the price we pay for having to cover a larger land mass?

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
I'm currently with US Cellular, and we're being sold to Sprint here in the Chicago area. So I'm looking to move to either ATT or VZW. Leaning toward ATT because I can get a discount through work, and 99% of my friends/coworkers are on ATT so minutes won't be an issue.

Sparky14

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I am also a US Cellular customer, and have been for years. I am upset that they sold Chicago market to Sprint because IMHO no one compares to USC. I can't decide between AT&T or Verizon - don't like the higher cost of Verizon, but keep hearing it's better. My deciding factor may be the international coverage, anyone have opinions on that for ATT or VZW?

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently with US Cellular, and we're being sold to Sprint here in the Chicago area. So I'm looking to move to either ATT or VZW. Leaning toward ATT because I can get a discount through work, and 99% of my friends/coworkers are on ATT so minutes won't be an issue.

Verizon has an awesome employee program. I get a discount through work with Verizon. I'd be happy to refer you if you wanted. You'd make some $ and I'd make some $. :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77