Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Nostalgia] ESPNet Sportszone

I watch ABC's Wide World of Sports every weekend. I saw a good deal of boxing matches that would be pay-per-view nowadays. Those were the days...;)

Yeah, they were. Was also a fan of the skiing competitions. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Back in those days we had a black and white TV. About every 6 months my father would have to take all the tubes out and bring them to the tube tester at the drug store to see which one was bad. I also remember when we got cable TV. It was $12.95 a month for 30 channels.

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

The most hilarious thing I remember seeing on ABC Wide Worlds of Sports was a Fran Tarkenton scramble. He ran over so much of the field in so many different directions and for so long that the announcers couldn't remember where the line of scrimmage was or which way the team was going.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Wide World of Sports was amazing when I was a kid...I remember watching it every week.

I really miss Braves baseball on TBS...to me, when it ended, it took some of the magic away.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I really miss Braves baseball on TBS...to me, when it ended, it took some of the magic away.

Back when I was into baseball I watched a lot and I mean a lot of Braves and Cubs baseball because of TBS and WGN during the height of the steroid era.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site

Wide World of Sports was amazing when I was a kid...I remember watching it every week.

It's still weird NOT seeing them on TBS. I used to watch whenever they'd play the Buccos. Most often, that'd be the only time I'd see the Pirates play since I'm an out of towner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

It's always cool to read that people watched the Braves, even if they weren't necessarily a fan or even in the southeast. My brother in law grew up in Boston and said he used to watch the Braves all the time. There was something special about it to me back then...TBS baseball in the 90's felt like a spectacle...like a show was being put on, and then you got to enjoy baseball as well.

Today, on Fox Sports South and ESPN, it's just cookie cutter sports...which I still enjoy, but it's definitely not the same.