NFL Discussion thread

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to say Tom Brady didn't know he was using an under inflated football? Give me a break.

I now put Tom Brady in the same category as Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Barry Bonds and all the other cheaters in professional sports and his records means nothing anymore.

You hate Brady that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
After taking a moment to consider whether the Pats intentionally deflated the footballs, the organization should be punished if proof is irrefutable. Now in the overall scheme of things, and some of you will not like this, I highly doubt that the outcome would've been different. The score was 45 to 7. If the score was as close as the Seattle / Green Bay game then the league would probably go beyond the motions they are going through right now, but because it was a straight up beatdown, the deflated football allegations will not go anywhere. These are my personal opinions, and nothing more.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Makes it easier to hold on to. My understanding is that each team supplies the balls they use on offense.

That makes sense. I had heard that the home team supplied all the balls. And if they did, then it'd be a level playing field. But if each team supplies their own balls for offense, I can understand why there is some controversy over it.

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
That makes sense. I had heard that the home team supplied all the balls. And if they did, then it'd be a level playing field. But if each team supplies their own balls for offense, I can understand why there is some controversy over it.

I thought the Home team did supply the balls at least the backup 12?

Hey maybe the Patriots suppled the Colts with over inflated balls and the results reflect that as well. :p

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Just saw on ESPN.
Each teams footballs are brought into the refs locker room 2 hours before game. They are checked for air pressure. If they are under they add air to spec. If over they deflate it to spec.
Throwing balls are given to the ball boys. Kicking balls are given to a official on the sidelines. At halftime the balls are checked again for air pressure again this is where 11 of the 12 Patriots balls where found to be under inflated.
Apparently the Colt that had the interception felt the ball was under inflated which was obviously a Patriot ball

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am indeed a Pats fan, but I don't condone cheating. My reply above was solely in regard to the scandal itself. To be honest, I haven't even thought about whether Brady or anyone else were aware of the deflated state of the footballs.

How could Brady have not known? The man handles "official size and weight" footballs almost every day of his life. Are you saying that there is no way he could have known the balls he was using the the game felt different? As in, easier to grab, especially in the cold, rainy weather?

Again, the Colts got pummeled, and I doubt that the deflated balls had any thing (or much) to do with that... but still, Brady HAD to know something wasn’t right.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What's going to come out of this is serious questions about the integrity of the game as a whole and NFL antitrust...there will be calls for more government intervention and oversight of all pro sports.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
What's going to come out of this is serious questions about the integrity of the game as a whole and NFL antitrust...there will be calls for more government intervention and oversight of all pro sports.

Regardless of what effect any of this had on the game (I personally doubt that it did - but cheating is cheating), it’s been a pretty bad year for the NFL from an image perspective. Goodell is failing pretty hard, IMO.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How could Brady have not known?
I'm sure he did know, but I never said he didn't. At the time of my reply above, I said that I had not given it any thought. I really hadn't.
The man handles "official size and weight" footballs almost every day of his life.
No doubt.
Are you saying that there is no way he could have known the balls he was using the the game felt different?
That is not what I was saying at all. My initial reply was in regard to what I thought would be the outcome of the scandal. My second reply went on to say that the organization should be punished if there was irrefutable evidence.
As in, easier to grab, especially in the cold, rainy weather?
See the above comment

Again, the Colts got pummeled, and I doubt that the deflated balls had any thing (or much) to do with that... but still, Brady HAD to know something wasn?t right.
I don't disagree at all. Now having said that, did you expect him to step forward and confess it or keep playing?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Regardless of what effect any of this had on the game (I personally doubt that it did - but cheating is cheating), it?s been a pretty bad year for the NFL from an image perspective. Goodell is failing pretty hard, IMO.

Again, we are in agreement.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think a punishment is necessary for cheating...but I think some of the people out there calling for the Patriots to forfeit the Super Bowl and the AFC Championship game are absolutely ridiculous. Take a draft pick or two away, and hit them in the pocket...hit BRADY in the pocket, and show the world that even the golden boy isn't safe from repercussions for such actions...and then get back to football.

The NFL is getting disgustingly dramatic lately, and it's making it so uninteresting to me.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The NFL is getting disgustingly dramatic lately, and it's making it so uninteresting to me.
Yup. It hasn't been easy to tune out the stupid drama this season and it has started to turn me off and make me less interested. I can say with certainty that I haven't enjoyed this season as much as I have past seasons simply because there has been so much drama not related to football.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yup. It hasn't been easy to tune out the stupid drama this season and it has started to turn me off and make me less interested. I can say with certainty that I haven't enjoyed this season as much as I have past seasons simply because there has been so much drama not related to football.

It's like watching an F'n soap opera...and it takes so much away from the sport to me when 1/4 of the game they're talking about whatever drama is surrounding "x" team or player that week. I simply don't care about anything but the football...but they're going after a new age audience, and that audience, in my opinion, is destroying the sport.

College is right behind it too.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It's like watching an F'n soap opera...and it takes so much away from the sport to me when 1/4 of the game they're talking about whatever drama is surrounding "x" team or player that week. I simply don't care about anything but the football...but they're going after a new age audience, and that audience, in my opinion, is destroying the sport.

College is right behind it too.
It's the TMZ generation and whenever something happens it spills into mainstream news which just tires me to no end.

I used to watch a lot of UFC when it wasn't very popular. I'm talking back to 1995 before Dana White bought the company. By about 2007 when MMA started to become more popular is when everyone started watching and talking about UFC. The water sprinkled fans. The type where you sprinkle some water on them and all of a sudden they're experts. It no longer felt like my thing with a small group of people who were actually in the know. I have completely abandoned it and hardly even follow it anymore because of that. Now people are becoming aware of the NFL more for what happens off the field and they sit around on TV telling me about the NFL. Women's groups dominating news headlines "Goodell must go!" Who the f*ck cares if they think Goodell should go???

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Amen. I liked when I didn't know who controlled the NFL behind the scenes, and only saw the guy at the draft...it's been a LONNNNNNNG time since that was the case, and it sucks. People are more concerned with the Patriots deflategate than the announcements of the college sophomores and juniors...WTF is that? People want to know more about which player is trying to sue Roger Goodell than which player from the national championship team is staying in college or coming to the draft.

palandri

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
The Patriots are taking a lot of heat. Bill Belichick sounded like Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes this morning. They also have a taped interview of Tom Brady saying he likes deflated footballs from 2011.

Attachments

• cheaties.jpg
    cheaties.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 12

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711