Sonos or Bose or Something else?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok I will admit it, I'm an old head, and from my generation, if you were an audiophile and you wanted the best sound you got Bose speakers or headphones. (I can hear the Polk fans gathering their torches). Now along comes this Sonos system, and it looks pretty good and it's very modern and VERY connected. Of course current Bose home theater setups are also "connected" these days. So the question is, do I go with what I know, Bose, or do I go Sonos? And why go Sonos? Or why stick with Bose? Also anyone else out there worth looking in to if I want a good system?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The options don't stop there. Sonos and Bose are certainly the big players, but there's also other more affordable options including small speakers like the Beats Pill or Google Chromecast Audio. Jawbone and Bowers & Wilkins make a mighty fine Bluetooth speaker as well.

In terms of other whole home connected systems, Samsung's Shape Whole Home system is worth a look, along with the Denon HEOS system.

Seems like more and more options are popping up every day, but for price, ease of use, and general awesomeness, I still recommend Sonos.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I want to listen to music via headphones/earphones, I quickly reach for my Bose ie2 earphones. When I want to listen to music openly then I connect my iPhone to my Bose Mini SoundLink II Bluetooth speaker or my Vizio Bluetooth sound bar. When I go on runs and am in the rare mood to listen to music while running, I reach for my Motorola Bluetooth earbuds.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
For headphones, I'm rocking the Bose Quiet Comfort 25 Noise Cancelling Headphones. So good, especially when travelling. Turn on the noise cancelling switch, and all of a sudden you realize how loud airplanes are. :)

Yea I looked at the QC25s but ended up getting these passive noise isolation model from v-Moda

V-MODA Crossfade M-100 3D Metal Headphones

(I did not pay 270, but got an amazon return pair for 160, they still had the plastic on the ear plates! )

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Good deal :)

You like 'em?

LOVE them. Excellent sound and great comfort. I won't got as far as to say you can't tell that they are on, BUT they are really no bother, cool and comfy, especially since I bought the XL ear pads. The sound is brilliant!

adamjustice

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
On the headphone front I got some Master and Dynamic MW60s and they are amazing. Bluetooth headphones with some serious audio fidelity. I highly recommend them!

On the original sonos question I have heard that the new Play 5 is quite the speaker and if you put two of them together and tune the room they will blow away just about anything else. Haven't heard it with my own ears yet but definitely worth checking out.

Peepo68

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Not sure about Bose how it connects but I have Sonos and what I like bout it vs. Bluetooth and Airplay is that it doesn't tie up your iPhone.. The Sonos speakers actually do the streaming and are simply controlled by the app. Imagine having a party or something and streaming music from iPhone via Bluetooth or Airplay... then how would your guests feel when it's interrupted while making a call and/or hearing notifications coming through.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
On the headphone front I got some Master and Dynamic MW60s and they are amazing. Bluetooth headphones with some serious audio fidelity. I highly recommend them!

On the original sonos question I have heard that the new Play 5 is quite the speaker and if you put two of them together and tune the room they will blow away just about anything else. Haven't heard it with my own ears yet but definitely worth checking out.

Would love to do that - but that's a hefty price tag! (although, compared to some high-end speakers - a drop in the bucket)

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
We have had our Sonos setup for a few years now and love it, 2 x play 5's and a sub in our kitchen/dining/family area, and a play 3 in our daughters room, had another play 5 and 3 in our sons room but he swapped to a speakers and sub connected to his iMac so sold them.
Also have a Bose Cube lifestyle surround sound system in our lounge room hooked to our TV, it just won't die its nearly 20 years old and works as good as the day i got it, have just replaced the remote as was worn out. If it does die would get a play bar, sub and play 1's for sure.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So let me get this straight... at one point you had:

3 x Play 5
2 x Play 3
Sub

That's pretty solid. Glad I'm not the only one with a Sonos problem :)

The Bose Cube lifestyle system sounds like it has paid itself off for you, and then some... that's awesome to hear!

Robster33

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
So let me get this straight... at one point you had:

3 x Play 5
2 x Play 3
Sub

That's pretty solid. Glad I'm not the only one with a Sonos problem :)

The Bose Cube lifestyle system sounds like it has paid itself off for you, and then some... that's awesome to hear!

Yeah got my Sonos when our Aussie dollar was good against the US dollar, and bought at a discount too, wouldn't like to be buying now its all nearly double what i paid :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok I will admit it, I'm an old head, and from my generation, if you were an audiophile and you wanted the best sound you got Bose speakers or headphones. (I can hear the Polk fans gathering their torches).
Guess you never heard the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" saying then, eh? :)

I like the idea of Sonos, and how well connected the system is, but I keep reading that the viability of the company is suspect so I've held off. I guess if you can get something similar, to do what you want, with the Bose system (and that's what you're used to/familiar with) I'd go that route. At least if it were me :)

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
I am back in the old days. I have PSB speakers with an Onkyo receiver in my basement rec. room, and a sony receiver with pioneer speakers in my family room. I am thinking about going with the sonos full home theater for my family room and adding the receiver to my downstairs system. Maybe toss a play in my bedroom as well. I do like the idea of sonos, hmmmm the bathrooms need some tunes too...

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
Guess you never heard the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" saying then, eh? :)

I like the idea of Sonos, and how well connected the system is, but I keep reading that the viability of the company is suspect so I've held off. I guess if you can get something similar, to do what you want, with the Bose system (and that's what you're used to/familiar with) I'd go that route. At least if it were me :)

Back in my full blown home theater addiction, we used to say bose mean B uy O ther S ound E quipment. ha ha ha.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@Steve - let me know if you'd like any suggestions or help if you plan to purchase any Sonos. A word of warning up front: It's addicting!

Steve Adams

Banned
May 26, 2016
Visit site
James, thanks! Yeah.....I can see that. My PSB speaker system in my home theater setup is over 10,000 dollars. ha ha....I know how addicting it can be!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77