I have Sonos - you have questions - ask away!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I LOVE Sonos, and have them spread throughout my house. So easy to use, the desktop and mobile apps are fantastic... and I love having music on, when and where I want, anytime. So good.

I'm by no means an expert but I have a LOT of experience with the products, so feel free to fire away any questions you might have. Happy to help and gently push you towards loading up your house with Sonos goodness :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it true that you can play different songs in different room with one Sonos setup?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Yep. You can play something different on each speaker if you like. All speakers can be controlled to play whatever you like... and you can login (and use) different music services (Apple Music, Google Play Music, Spotify, etc). There's a whole whackload of supported services, with many more coming.

kharma217

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I just got the Play 1, my first Sonos ever.
Love the sound-it's amazing!
I'm still struggling with the wifi only connection. Is it possible to to connect the Apple TV via Ethernet and use AirPlay? I tried but it didn't work. I have apps that aren't listed within the Sonos controller app that I want to stream to the speaker. Any suggestions if AirPlay isn't the answer?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm not sure about Airplay, have never tried that... my advice would be to boost your Wi-Fi network. I had similar issues myself, found that certain speakers were dropping from the network. Solved this by installing another Airport Express to extend the range of the network. It did the trick, haven't had any issues since!

Peepo68

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Sonos does not support airplay. The only way you could is if you had a Sonos speaker that has an Aux input (currently only the new Play 5) and connect an Airport Express to it. You should also then be able to send that AUX input on that particular Play 5 to any Sonos speaker in your network - eg. the Play 5 is in the Living Room, could send its Aux to a Play 1 in the Kitchen. I have not tried this myself but I have got the impression that this is how it works (someone please correct me if I am wrong). You could also do with a Connect or Connect Amp since these devices have a stereo line input.

jtnave

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I still have the issue where my new Sonos Play 1 doesn't see my iTunes playlists (it will see songs/artists/etc). Any workaround that you know of?

tilleyp

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I LOVE Sonos, and have them spread throughout my house. So easy to use, the desktop and mobile apps are fantastic... and I love having music on, when and where I want, anytime. So good.

I'm by no means an expert but I have a LOT of experience with the products, so feel free to fire away any questions you might have. Happy to help and gently push you towards loading up your house with Sonos goodness :)

peterfconn

Apr 15, 2017
Visit site
Question: I have Apple TV gen 1 and a pair of Sonos Play5 gen 1's in my bedroom. I play movies from my Apple TV to my Panasonic flat screen via HDMI but I want to get the audio through the Sonos (right now just comes out of the tv).
The Apple TV has optical audio out. The tv has optical audio out as well but no analog out. The Play5 has analog input. Can I convert the optical audio either directly from the apple tv or from the panasonic tv into analog so I can put it through the sonos? If so, how?

07GD SFD

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Question: I have Apple TV gen 1 and a pair of Sonos Play5 gen 1's in my bedroom. I play movies from my Apple TV to my Panasonic flat screen via HDMI but I want to get the audio through the Sonos (right now just comes out of the tv).
The Apple TV has optical audio out. The tv has optical audio out as well but no analog out. The Play5 has analog input. Can I convert the optical audio either directly from the apple tv or from the panasonic tv into analog so I can put it through the sonos? If so, how?

The general consensus I've read is that there's an audio delay when trying to do this. So there will by lip syncing issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234