Answered feature

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have been a regular on many forums and on imore for years. I continually see someone ask a question and then three replies of the same answer. I also see people answering the question 5 or 6 pages into the thread because they didn't know the answer was given 3 pages back. How about setting up a feature where when the thread is being created the creator can mark it as a question. Then either the OP or a mod has the option of marking the thread answered once an answer has been given. The thread remains open for other comments and discussions that will branch off but in the main view of the forum an "Answered" shows somewhere with the name. It helps people wondering the same thing know that there was an answer given. It helps other people reading through to know that the main question has been answered so they don't repeat it 20 pages later. Also if a thread dies after 3 or 4 replies it helps someone searching to know that the question was answered.
I know that it also means people may not bother to read a thread because it looks like it's already been answered and perhaps that is a negative factor of the idea.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It may also prevent responding to a question that was posted three years ago....:D

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the idea... But IMO there is not always one answer to any question... Though you have right and wrong's . Multiple answers can provide more additional info to a question or suggest that an end user posts. In addition some questions are not always related to the new thread that is created, questions are often asked in existing threads as a separate posts.

Just my thoughts

As always we value your feedback!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have been a regular on many forums and on imore for years. I continually see someone ask a question and then three replies of the same answer. I also see people answering the question 5 or 6 pages into the thread because they didn't know the answer was given 3 pages back. How about setting up a feature where when the thread is being created the creator can mark it as a question. Then either the OP or a mod has the option of marking the thread answered once an answer has been given. The thread remains open for other comments and discussions that will branch off but in the main view of the forum an "Answered" shows somewhere with the name. It helps people wondering the same thing know that there was an answer given. It helps other people reading through to know that the main question has been answered so they don't repeat it 20 pages later. Also if a thread dies after 3 or 4 replies it helps someone searching to know that the question was answered.
I know that it also means people may not bother to read a thread because it looks like it's already been answered and perhaps that is a negative factor of the idea.

iPheuria,

Interesting you should bring this up, because it's definitely something we've pondered very recently.

I see your point, and see John's point too... lets get some good discussion going between us and see if we can hash it out.

If we can dream it, we can build it... I just need to spec it out and we can run with it :)

johnc847

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't post much on here so not sure how much my feedback counts, but I think this is a good idea. I use this forum a lot to search for issues I have with my devices. I agree there could be more than one answer.

There's another forum I use a lot that has this type of feature. They call it solutions and the threads that are solved have a checkbox next to them when viewing the threads and when you open a thread that's been solved, it has a link to the solution the original poster accepted. Here's an example if it helps.

Thank you to everyone for this forum!

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5...tion-Rule-on-Text-Data-type/m-p/538607#M83677

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't post much on here so not sure how much my feedback counts, but I think this is a good idea. I use this forum a lot to search for issues I have with my devices. I agree there could be more than one answer.

There's another forum I use a lot that has this type of feature. They call it solutions and the threads that are solved have a checkbox next to them when viewing the threads and when you open a thread that's been solved, it has a link to the solution the original poster accepted. Here's an example if it helps.

Thank you to everyone for this forum!

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5...tion-Rule-on-Text-Data-type/m-p/538607#M83677

Your feedback is appreciated whether you post frequently or infrequently so never hesitate to offer suggestions, opinions and assistance, my friend. Happy Thanksgiving you to. :D

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to see this feature (especially w/a link), as long as the original poster has the authority over whether or not their question was answered. If someone has a similar question they feel needs an answer they can always start a thread of their own.

1982ollie

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a great idea and there is a forum in the UK for a mobile network called Giff gaff and everyone on the network runs a forum instead of having customer services.

Giffgaff.co.uk

Then check out community.

They do exactly what you are talking of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea. And it makes sense. I'd also like to see a way for the OP to close a thread. If I ask a question, and I get responses that solve the issue and/or answer the question, let me flag the thread as resolved or closed to prevent the 3 years later response from out of the blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods