Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ipheuria
  • 1 Post By Massie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,366 Global Posts

Default Answered feature

I have been a regular on many forums and on imore for years. I continually see someone ask a question and then three replies of the same answer. I also see people answering the question 5 or 6 pages into the thread because they didn't know the answer was given 3 pages back. How about setting up a feature where when the thread is being created the creator can mark it as a question. Then either the OP or a mod has the option of marking the thread answered once an answer has been given. The thread remains open for other comments and discussions that will branch off but in the main view of the forum an "Answered" shows somewhere with the name. It helps people wondering the same thing know that there was an answer given. It helps other people reading through to know that the main question has been answered so they don't repeat it 20 pages later. Also if a thread dies after 3 or 4 replies it helps someone searching to know that the question was answered.
    I know that it also means people may not bother to read a thread because it looks like it's already been answered and perhaps that is a negative factor of the idea.
    James Falconer likes this.

Default Answered feature

It may also prevent responding to a question that was posted three years ago....

Default Re: Answered feature

I can understand the idea... But IMO there is not always one answer to any question... Though you have right and wrong's . Multiple answers can provide more additional info to a question or suggest that an end user posts. In addition some questions are not always related to the new thread that is created, questions are often asked in existing threads as a separate posts.

Just my thoughts

As always we value your feedback!
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    4,510 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    I have been a regular on many forums and on imore for years. I continually see someone ask a question and then three replies of the same answer. I also see people answering the question 5 or 6 pages into the thread because they didn't know the answer was given 3 pages back. How about setting up a feature where when the thread is being created the creator can mark it as a question. Then either the OP or a mod has the option of marking the thread answered once an answer has been given. The thread remains open for other comments and discussions that will branch off but in the main view of the forum an "Answered" shows somewhere with the name. It helps people wondering the same thing know that there was an answer given. It helps other people reading through to know that the main question has been answered so they don't repeat it 20 pages later. Also if a thread dies after 3 or 4 replies it helps someone searching to know that the question was answered.
    I know that it also means people may not bother to read a thread because it looks like it's already been answered and perhaps that is a negative factor of the idea.
    iPheuria,

Interesting you should bring this up, because it's definitely something we've pondered very recently.

I see your point, and see John's point too... lets get some good discussion going between us and see if we can hash it out.

If we can dream it, we can build it... I just need to spec it out and we can run with it
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

Default Answered feature

I don't post much on here so not sure how much my feedback counts, but I think this is a good idea. I use this forum a lot to search for issues I have with my devices. I agree there could be more than one answer.

There's another forum I use a lot that has this type of feature. They call it solutions and the threads that are solved have a checkbox next to them when viewing the threads and when you open a thread that's been solved, it has a link to the solution the original poster accepted. Here's an example if it helps.

Thank you to everyone for this forum!

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/.../538607#M83677

Default Answered feature

Quote Originally Posted by johnc847 View Post
    I don't post much on here so not sure how much my feedback counts, but I think this is a good idea. I use this forum a lot to search for issues I have with my devices. I agree there could be more than one answer.

There's another forum I use a lot that has this type of feature. They call it solutions and the threads that are solved have a checkbox next to them when viewing the threads and when you open a thread that's been solved, it has a link to the solution the original poster accepted. Here's an example if it helps.

Thank you to everyone for this forum!

http://boards.developerforce.com/t5/.../538607#M83677
    Your feedback is appreciated whether you post frequently or infrequently so never hesitate to offer suggestions, opinions and assistance, my friend. Happy Thanksgiving you to.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,044 Global Posts

I'd love to see this feature (especially w/a link), as long as the original poster has the authority over whether or not their question was answered. If someone has a similar question they feel needs an answer they can always start a thread of their own.
    Fausty82 likes this.
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    4,510 Global Posts

Thanks for all the feedback here folks, VERY helpful. I'm thinking this is something we're going to explore for sure
    iMore Pro

Default Answered feature

This is a great idea and there is a forum in the UK for a mobile network called Giff gaff and everyone on the network runs a forum instead of having customer services.

Giffgaff.co.uk

Then check out community.

They do exactly what you are talking of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,588 Global Posts

Default Answered feature

I like the idea. And it makes sense. I'd also like to see a way for the OP to close a thread. If I ask a question, and I get responses that solve the issue and/or answer the question, let me flag the thread as resolved or closed to prevent the 3 years later response from out of the blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk