UPS Alternatives for Canadian Shoppers

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Just a general plea to offer an alternative to UPS for Canadian shoppers (I don't know about how well or poorly UPS works in other countries).

In Canada, UPS is well known for incredibly excessive charges to the extent that, like myself, many people no longer accept deliveries from UPS.

As an example, last year I received on shipment via USPS with total brokerage charges of $5, and no GST or PST (~15%) charges. A roughly equal value shipment via UPS came with an invoice for $35 for brokerage and "paperwork", taxes for the content, taxes for the shipping, and taxes for the brokerage and paperwork (!). All in all, it was almost $60 -- nearly as much as the ordered item!

To give full scope to the idiocy, I also left some DVDs in the US while on vacation, had a friend sent them back to me (who unfortunately used UPS) and received an invoice for $85 on top of the shipping charge. Far more than the DVDs were worth (they were old.)

New-age highway robbery indeed :)

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
In America, DHL in my experience provides terrible service. I understand your desire for them to switch carriers, but it is all costs related. Not sure if there is anything you can do.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Haven't used DHL in maybe 15 years. I used to buy a lot of Amiga parts which shipped DHL, which meant (back then), I had to drive to the airport warehouse, walk the package through customs myself, and pay hefty duty for the privilege.

(Free trade is still being implemented, some 20 years later, it seems...)

tehflakes

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
UPS is horrible. I got dinged with 30 bucks in charges when I ordered from Seidio... If shipping rates were better for us Canadian's more companies would get our business.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Just got nailed by FedEx the exact same way. +$30 from brokerage. End up having to pay almost +$60 for a $90 order.

USPS only from now on...

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
I live in Vancouver and completely agree. UPS and FedEx fees are outrageous.

USPS is much much cheaper but does not provide tracking.

Oh well, I rather the mail guy surprise me with the delivery date than ripp me off on an exact date lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2