How do I get Siri to text SMS?

fogey0

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Every time I try to text with my Ipad it auto uses iMessage which results in failure when trying to send to someone with a Droid phone. Is there a way to fix this?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Every time I try to text with my Ipad it auto uses iMessage which results in failure when trying to send to someone with a Droid phone. Is there a way to fix this?

I just press the button and tell Siri to send a text message to the recipient that is listed in my contacts list. For example: "Send a text message to John Doe". Siri responds with, "What do you want me to say to John Doe?'. I respond and then she asks if I want to send it and then after I say yes, Siri sends it. It doesn't matter if what device the recipient has, at least that has been my experience.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I just press the button and tell Siri to send a text message to the recipient that is listed in my contacts list. For example: "Send a text message to John Doe". Siri responds with, "What do you want me to say to John Doe?'. I respond and then she asks if I want to send it and then after I say yes, Siri sends it. It doesn't matter if what device the recipient has, at least that has been my experience.

As I understand the issue, it’s that your iPad doesn’t have a cellular connection (either it’s wifi only or no active cellular account). Using the messaging system, without an active cellular connection, it can only use iMessage, because (1) there’s no cellular account set up on your iPad; and (2) SMS texting is NOT a data function, but rather a cellular ("call") function.

The solution would be to use a third party texting app that uses DATA instead of cellular service...

fogey0

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
It is understanding everything. The phone number I speak as well as accurately understanding the body of the message That I speak.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
As I understand the issue, it’s that your iPad doesn’t have a cellular connection (either it’s wifi only or no active cellular account). Using the messaging system, without an active cellular connection, it can only use iMessage, because (1) there’s no cellular account set up on your iPad; and (2) SMS texting is NOT a data function, but rather a cellular ("call") function.

The solution would be to use a third party texting app that uses DATA instead of cellular service...

Bingo.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

​I thought that all was needed was an internet connection in regard to the iPad.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
​I thought that all was needed was an internet connection in regard to the iPad.

Not so, D... all SMS text messages actually use voice and not data. It's been that way all along - for all devices - feature phones, smart phone, etc...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It is understanding everything. The phone number I speak as well as accurately understanding the body of the message That I speak.

The issue isn't Siri (or Siri's ability to understand/interpret what you are saying)... it’s that you don’t have a cellular account on your iPad from which you can send an SMS transmisssion. SMS uses cellular ("voice") connection and NOT a data connection. It’s the classic "you can’t get there from here" scenario.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not so, D... all SMS text messages actually use voice and not data. It's been that way all along - for all devices - feature phones, smart phone, etc...

You're absolutely right. I was focused on what was needed for Siri and forgot about the primary objective which was to send an sms message. (A Gibb slap is in order)...:D

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2