Siri+Driving+Texting

tmgm3333

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I have the iPhone 4S and it works great, and I use Siri all of the time. When I am in the car, I Bluetooth to my stereo. I have no problems, streaming music, making calls, reading text, or asking for directions. However, when I ask her to send a message she will compose the message and then closes without asking if I want to send or sending. I have tried this while driving, parked, and even with the car in idle. No matter what way I try, she will not send or ask if I want to send

Please help

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you tired to voice dictate it and then send it using the touchscreen? That's the way I've always done it and had no problems. Siri has never asked me to send a text, I always get the on-screen confirm or deny.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

tmgm3333

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps, I am being unclear. I am using Siri in the car as a handsfree device. I tell her to send a text to my husband, she asks what I would like to text. I tell her my message. She reads it back to me because I am driving, and then she asks if I am ready to send. However, before I am able to answer she closes and I have to start all over. I am not able to send while in the car. Every other time that I use her, I have no problems at all.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps, I am being unclear. I am using Siri in the car as a handsfree device. I tell her to send a text to my husband, she asks what I would like to text. I tell her my message. She reads it back to me because I am driving, and then she asks if I am ready to send. However, before I am able to answer she closes and I have to start all over. I am not able to send while in the car. Every other time that I use her, I have no problems at all.

I don't know what to tell you. I use Siri in the same manner when in my vehicle and I am able to send a text message without a problem. Have you tried rebooting your device?

tmgm3333

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I found this post on another site from someone with the same problem that I am having.

PJR5485
Re: bluetooth and siri
Oct 18, 2011 7:54 AM (in response to charlamb)

Yes, I am having a lot of issues with Siri and my Bluetooth system that is built into my truck. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado which came with Bluetooth. When I activate Siri, either by pressing and holding the home button or from the button on my steering wheel the radio silences and the car microphone and speaker are activated. This would be great if it worked. However, first, Siri does not understand half of the commands over Bluetooth. Maybe due to background noise. Second, when Siri asks for confirmation (for example if I ask to send a text message it will read the

Message back to you and ask "do you want me to send this?). When this happens the Bluetooth connection is terminated and completely cancels out your commands to Siri. I have found Siri to be completely useless in my car. My only option is to turn off my Bluetooth which would completely eliminate the whole purpose of having hands free in my truck. One of two things need to happen. First, and this is the ideal solution, the Bluetooth connection needs to remain active the entire time the Siri application is open. So if Siri asks for confirmation the connection isn't severed. The other possible solution would be to have an option in the Siri settings for "Siri Over Bluetooth". This would allow you to disable Siri over Bluetooth so that if you press and hold the home button you are still using the iPhone's microphone and speaker but you keep the Bluetooth connection. Therefore, if you receive a call you could still answer it over the car Bluetooth system. Hope apple adds this soon because the whole purpose of Siri is safety while driving and right now I can't use Siri in my vehicle. Anyone else experiencing this??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I found this post on another site from someone with the same problem that I am having.

PJR5485
Re: bluetooth and siri
Oct 18, 2011 7:54 AM (in response to charlamb)

Yes, I am having a lot of issues with Siri and my Bluetooth system that is built into my truck. I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado which came with Bluetooth. When I activate Siri, either by pressing and holding the home button or from the button on my steering wheel the radio silences and the car microphone and speaker are activated. This would be great if it worked. However, first, Siri does not understand half of the commands over Bluetooth. Maybe due to background noise. Second, when Siri asks for confirmation (for example if I ask to send a text message it will read the

Message back to you and ask "do you want me to send this?). When this happens the Bluetooth connection is terminated and completely cancels out your commands to Siri. I have found Siri to be completely useless in my car. My only option is to turn off my Bluetooth which would completely eliminate the whole purpose of having hands free in my truck. One of two things need to happen. First, and this is the ideal solution, the Bluetooth connection needs to remain active the entire time the Siri application is open. So if Siri asks for confirmation the connection isn't severed. The other possible solution would be to have an option in the Siri settings for "Siri Over Bluetooth". This would allow you to disable Siri over Bluetooth so that if you press and hold the home button you are still using the iPhone's microphone and speaker but you keep the Bluetooth connection. Therefore, if you receive a call you could still answer it over the car Bluetooth system. Hope apple adds this soon because the whole purpose of Siri is safety while driving and right now I can't use Siri in my vehicle. Anyone else experiencing this??

There is an entire website addressing this issue, but no fix.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3400194?start=0&tstart=0

I'm not doubting that it is happening, I just don't understand why. One would think that if it is not a problem with a typical bluetooth headset, it shouldn't be a problem with a vehicle's bluetooth capability. Furthermore, I can't understand why there isn't a problem until you are actually ready to send the message? Know what I mean?

tmgm3333

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I do understand what you mean. I greatly appreciate all of the advice. I just wish there was a way to fix it. I don't have to text while I am driving, but it is a nice feature to have and use once and a while.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
When I use Siri via the bluetooth headset I tap and hold a button on the headset to activate Siri. Do you not have that option? I have never had the problem you are describing here...and I use Siri a lot while driving and almost always with the bluetooth headset. It has proven to be very convenient and probably a bit safer...

Edit: I just followed the link to the other site... So you are using a built in BT setup in the vehicle? That is definitely different than mine. 1994 Toyota Camry doesn't come with that . :) I am "old school" on that one. I even have to adapt my phone (for MP3 use) through a cassette adaptor... So everything is about the phone with only the BT headset as an additional interface.

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I too am not having this issue.
However, when I ask Siri for directions, it plays back the direction via the iPhone speaker and not the car audio system.
Anyone else?

kenjohnso

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I need an assistant to create the text message from voice commands, send it, read back a text response, etc... All hands-free. Siri doesn't. I'd like the assistant to use my text program, which isn't iMessage. Siri doesn't. It's an iphone5, running 6.1.2. My android friends don't have these limitations..... Do the math!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711