Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    What happened to that "natural speech" they were talking about?

Keywords activate apps. It's voice control. Except that it makes you talk more.

I mean, why say what will the weather be like today, when all it hears is, "Weather" ...?? LOL

Seriously though, only a dumb person would use Siri.
    When you told her you had a cold, what'd you expect her to do? Make chicken soup?
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #52  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NobodyListensToLaura View Post
    When you told her you had a cold, what'd you expect her to do? Make chicken soup?
    Even if it had just said, "Oh." I just want it to know what I'm saying. You could say "I have a cold" to a 3 year old child, and they'd know what you were talking about.

I say, I have a cold, and it brings up the weather, showing me that this is mere voice control.

Thats why it's not advanced. Oh, and also, it can't tell me what season of the year it is, so it doesn't know that it's summer.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Oh, and also, it can't tell me what season of the year it is, so it doesn't know that it's summer.
    For cryin' out vulcan loud... if you can't know what season it is without askin a phone, you got more problems than being pizzled about a phone's Siri app not working as you're stratosphericaly unrealistic expectations desire.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #54  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    For cryin' out vulcan loud... if you can't know what season it is without askin a phone, you got more problems than being pizzled about a phone's Siri app not working as you're stratosphericaly unrealistic expectations desire.
    We ask Siri questions we already know the answer to in order to test its intelligence. It's not at all intelligent. We could say something simple that Siri would not understand.

And my expectations are only as realistic as what Apple would have had us believe. It's supposed to be an artificial intelligence that you can talk to, and it's a virtual assistant.

Not in my book.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Not in my book.
    Your book is surreal.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,638 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

We ask Siri questions we already know the answer to in order to test its intelligence. It's not at all intelligent. We could say something simple that Siri would not understand.

And my expectations are only as realistic as what Apple would have had us believe. It's supposed to be an artificial intelligence that you can talk to, and it's a virtual assistant.

Not in my book.
    Star Trek she isn't but she gets the job done for me. I don't expect her to be smarter than me otherwise I'm also confident that over time, she will be able to do more than she can now.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

motoleo...if i asked you how to perform brain surgery on a human being, would you be able to immediately and in detail explain the procedure properly?

Now that you've sat back and admitted that you would not be able to do this, do you consider yourself a non-advanced form of primate? Regardless of what the general consensus of this forum thinks, i would imagine your answer is again "no".

Taking the same stance with a "thinking program" is important to giving a fair assessment as to its abilities. Siri is one of the first widely used digital assistant programs, there are many copies, none of which have come close to ability or fluid functionality...are there limitations? Of course! But the beauty of technology is progressive advancement...and in this case, the speed at which they have molded Siri into a very useful tool is astounding, 5 years ago we were trying to get most phones to send a decent picture to each other, now we talk to our phones, they get us where we need to go, communicate with our loved ones and help pick the restaurant we're going to eat at...while taking receiving phone calls and a zillion other things at the same time.

The fact that Siri can control even a small fraction of what these phones can do in less than a year of availability to the public says two things...

1. Apple has a damn fine piece of technology at their disposal.

and

2. You're an overdramatic forum troll and pretty much everything you post is "hogwash" (as you so eloquently put it earlier)

Have a good day.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

2. You're an overdramatic forum troll and pretty much everything you post is "hogwash" (as you so eloquently put it earlier)
    heheheheh
    Last edited by kch50428; 07-10-2012 at 08:28 PM.
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #59  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

An artificial intelligence that mimics the cognitive thinking abilities of a human is what we were supposed to get. And that's what we must get in order for Siri to be successful.

I could say 'play a song by Yu' But Siri doesn't have the cognitive ability to know that I didn't say you, I said Yu. And if You doesn't show up in my list, then it should look for something that sounds similar to what I said.

As well as why it doesn't understand some artist's names, like Hokaido, or Chiyo. You could ask any reasonable person to find that name in a list just by hearing it.

But Siri is too simple. Like a baby. And I'm tired of talking down to it; trying to make it easy for her. I'm not putting up with it anymore.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

An artificial intelligence that mimics the cognitive thinking abilities of a human is what we were supposed to get.
    only in your surrealistic planet motoleo... smh.

But Siri is too simple. Like a baby. And I'm tired of talking down to it; trying to make it easy for her. I'm not putting up with it anymore.
    Then don't . And please feel free to cease ranting about it...
    Thanked by:
    GingerSnapsBack (07-11-2012)
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #61  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    please feel free to cease ranting about it...

OK. I'll just leave you with this.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Do this: Open Settings>> General>> Siri>> and slide the switch to OFF, then cease this incessant trollery.
    Thanked by:
    SeanHRCC (07-11-2012)
    BLiNK and SeanHRCC like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

An artificial intelligence that mimics the cognitive thinking abilities of a human is what we were supposed to get. And that's what we must get in order for Siri to be successful.

I could say 'play a song by Yu' But Siri doesn't have the cognitive ability to know that I didn't say you, I said Yu. And if You doesn't show up in my list, then it should look for something that sounds similar to what I said.

As well as why it doesn't understand some artist's names, like Hokaido, or Chiyo. You could ask any reasonable person to find that name in a list just by hearing it.

So your idea is that the technology should essentially run before it can crawl?

Cellular phones took nearly a decade before they were able to mimic what we expect our computers to do for us on a base line. Siri has progressed to an amazing digital assistant in less than a year of wide public use as a native app...let's do the math here, 10 years to get a phone to what most of us consider "Smart", less than 1 year to get an App to the level of Siri.

Your argument continues to run itself into the ground. But feel free to stop using Siri, in fact, migrate to another phone that doesn't offer Siri and enjoy your experience...lol.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

lol Sean is back! <3
    Thanked by:
    SeanHRCC (07-11-2012)
    SeanHRCC likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Good to be back...mopping up trolls.
    BLiNK likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #66  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Well, I finally did it. Siri is deactivated.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

And to think this entire ridiculous thread could have been avoided had you just done that without the need to scream to the masses that you did.
    Thanked by:
    iLive an iLife (07-16-2012)
    kch50428 likes this.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    And to think this entire ridiculous thread could have been avoided had you just done that without the need to scream to the masses that you did.
    This whole thread has been a pictureless "Ermahgerd" meme.
    Thanked by:
    iLive an iLife (07-16-2012)
    SeanHRCC likes this.
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #69  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I was this close to doing it. Now, I did it. I liked it but I, just could not take it any more.

I won't miss it. Siri was redundancy.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,971 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I was this close to doing it. Now, I did it. I liked it but I, just could not take it any more.

I won't miss it. Siri was redundancy.
    Then you both share something in common...
    ght
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    871 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I had a old Motorola KRZR that had voice dial. It worked well.
    I bought a Palm Pre+ (which got voicedial via an update). It worked very well.
    I switched to WindowsPhone. Voice dial worked perfectly. Never failed to call the correct person. Not once.
    Now I have a 4S and Siri can't even make a simple call using voice dial. (I don't have an accent, either.) By the time I've convinced that stupid B to call the right person, I'm already home. F her.

P.S. Other than that, I really like my 4S. I just want reliable voice dial for hands-free operation when driving.
    Thanked by:
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #72  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

I will never use Siri again unless reviews say that the program makes a turn for the incredible.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (07-23-2012)
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #74  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

The ultimate guide should include the ultimate fix.

Was found very helpful.

Global Posts
    11,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The ultimate guide should include the ultimate fix.

Was found very helpful.
    anyone with a modicum of intellect is aware of that "fix".
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast