Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Don't complain. At least you got 10. Siri only gave me 6 restaurants.

Bon appetit!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    19 restaurants!

Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #27  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Before they gave Siri the ability to know about Sports and Movies, and BEFORE they gave it the ability to open applications

Why not give it the simple ability to READ INCOMING EMAILS???

It can tell you how many you have, but it can't read it??

Thats something simple.
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

siri is nice tool to be have in the phone.
    I think you should enable it.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,633 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by motoleo View Post
    Before they gave Siri the ability to know about Sports and Movies, and BEFORE they gave it the ability to open applications

Why not give it the simple ability to READ INCOMING EMAILS???

It can tell you how many you have, but it can't read it??

Thats something simple.
    I don't have her read texts to me because the preview window for the lock screen needs to be on and I don't want people seeing who has texted me and what they say. Fix that and I'll be happy.
    Dude! You slapped a fish. You punched it! Why would you hit it?

So she's praying...To Justin Timberlake apparently
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Siri is nice sometimes, but is often wrong or delayed with searches due to my Sprint network.
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I had to turn her off due to battery problems. She loves that power!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Sharma15 View Post
    I use Siri to send texts, emails, make calls, read me messages when I'm at the gym. Very useful for me
    +1 on that and finding low prices on gas!
    A GOAL without a PLAN is only a WISH.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    But this is only a single example. I have never been able to send a text with Siri, and half the time my reminders are so off base that I don't save them because they aren't helpful.
    Texts and reminders are 2 things that Siri does well for me. I try to give Siri the least amount of words possible but enough to get the task done. For example:

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.
    DZD
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I find myself using Siri more and more - one of the handiest features is to ask "How's the traffic" while driving. it not only launches Google Maps with Show Traffic but it sizes the map just right so I can see my entire commute.

I also use the feature to read incoming text messages - it actually works surprisingly well.

I also figured out that if I use Siri with a headset it will read the reminder it created back to me instead of me having to look at it to confirm.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #35  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

They said that the secret to Siri is that it understands the context of what you're asking.

Is that a lie? There's plenty of evidence that disproves it. Siri does not actually understand context.

iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    I disagree The simple answer is because it is their choice. Everyone will not use Siri in the same manner and Siri will not appeal to everyone or meet everyone's expectations so why have it enabled when you know you're never going to use it? You're assuming that the people who choose to not use Siri will change their minds later. Maybe they will. Still, it is their phone, their choice and their decision. Respect it.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    I don't see the logic in this. Having Siri enabled has no downfall that I can see in anyway, aside from inability to use Siri. You can't accidentally activate it, it doesn't drain power. Disabling it is nothing more than crippling the phone. HOW MUCH you cripple it depends on personal taste but you are undeniably disabling a feature. Most people on this thread seem to act like disabling Siri will make the folks at Apple say "guys, people aren't using Siri. Nooooooooooo!" Moreso than just not using Siri.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #37  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleAsItSeems View Post
    I don't see the logic in this. Having Siri enabled has no downfall that I can see in anyway, aside from inability to use Siri. You can't accidentally activate it, it doesn't drain power. Disabling it is nothing more than crippling the phone. HOW MUCH you cripple it depends on personal taste but you are undeniably disabling a feature. Most people on this thread seem to act like disabling Siri will make the folks at Apple say "guys, people aren't using Siri. Nooooooooooo!" Moreso than just not using Siri.
    Disabling Siri is an act of solace. To those who have used it, it compensates for the fact that it is not a complete product. Rather than be dragged along for updates, we'll forget about it until Apple re-releases it.

Global Posts
    17,300 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleAsItSeems View Post
    The logic is this: It is not for us to decide whether or not individuals who own an iPhone 4S should disable Siri or any other function or feature. Whether or not we agree with their rationale is irrelevant. It is their device. Period! Personally, Siri works well for me and therefore, I keep it enabled, but that's not the case for everyone as noted in this thread. Anyway, thank you for your reply and I hope you're having a safe and pleasant weekend.

Just Me, D
    (iPhone 4S)
    iPhone Intermediate

Well guys Siri works really well for me. It gets better and better and will learn your accent more and more as you use it. It's accuracy has definitely improved for me over time.

If you go to the settings menu to turn it off you get a warning basically stating that your Siri related data is stored on Apples servers and is used to make it work and improve over time. If you switch it offer the data associated to you is erased.

By turning it off you are going back to square one. Surely better to leave it on and use it where you can knowing that with each use it's getting better and better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #40  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

More proof that Siri does not know what she's doing.

I wouldn't want something like that steering me around.

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

More proof that Siri does not know what she's doing.

I wouldn't want something like that steering me around.
    Siri knows just fine what 'she' is doing. It is you that doesn't know how to ask for what you want.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iPhone Nanite

Those who have iPhone 4S with Siri disabled, are you waiting for something?

What's the problem, why do you have it disabled?

I'm trying to decide if I'd be okay with disabling Siri until the full product is released.
    Siri Is being disabled by many be causes it simply isn't cutting it.
    I like many have a service provider who doesn't provide the best reception. let me tell you it gets very annoying when Siri doesn't work properly.
  18. Thread AuthorThread Author   #43  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

I've had it up to here with Siri. It's just not advanced at all. And, I'm just plain done with it.

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've had it up to here with Siri. It's just not advanced at all. And, I'm just plain done with it.
    Color me in utter disbelief...
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #45  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Japan could make a better Siri.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    7,951 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

This could be one of the most asinine things i have ever read. Not advanced at all? Considering there are NO (zero, none, zilch, nada) other companies using digital assistants that are even on the level of Siri shows one thing, that it IS advanced (and considering that it is a very adaptable learning software, it will continue to advance, which is odd for the kind of market that it is in, where most of the companies who control such things would rather you buy a new device with said advancements over furthering the software itself on the older devices until they are simply unable to keep up with the process itself).

I know a lot of people who don't use Siri, my wife is one...she just doesn't have a use for it (but has admitted that she looks forward to when it is more relevant to what she does that it would make easier). It's just not very useful for some people (i happen to use it quite a bit personally, but i may be the majority). Saying the program isn't advanced though is, to be blunt, dumb. It's incredibly advanced, and continues to grow day by day.

Just putting it out there, but your "frustration" with Siri seems awfully dramatic.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #47  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    This could be one of the most asinine things i have ever read. Not advanced at all? Considering there are NO (zero, none, zilch, nada) other companies using digital assistants that are even on the level of Siri shows one thing, that it IS advanced (and considering that it is a very adaptable learning software, it will continue to advance, which is odd for the kind of market that it is in, where most of the companies who control such things would rather you buy a new device with said advancements over furthering the software itself on the older devices until they are simply unable to keep up with the process itself).

I know a lot of people who don't use Siri, my wife is one...she just doesn't have a use for it (but has admitted that she looks forward to when it is more relevant to what she does that it would make easier). It's just not very useful for some people (i happen to use it quite a bit personally, but i may be the majority). Saying the program isn't advanced though is, to be blunt, dumb. It's incredibly advanced, and continues to grow day by day.

Just putting it out there, but your "frustration" with Siri seems awfully dramatic.
    What you just said is hogwash.

Look at this poor girl trying to "talk" to Siri.

No matter what the girl says, with Siri it just does not compute. It had no comprehension of what was said. It's sad.

"Siri" is voice control. It does not "think" it does not "understand" It is not a "virtual assistant." You say a keyword, it activates an app. That's all it does. And that's all it will ever do.

The very thing that would have made Siri interesting is the only thing that the program does not have. So, in essence. Siri is a lie.

I don't know what your definition of advanced is, but there's nothing special about Siri.
    Last edited by motoleo; 07-09-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

That video is the most asinine thing I've ever seen. Anyone with half a brain can make Siri work just fine... if you look for fail, that is all you will ever find.
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #49  
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

What happened to that "natural speech" they were talking about?

Keywords activate apps. It's voice control. Except that it makes you talk more.

I mean, why say what will the weather be like today, when all it hears is, "Weather" ...?? LOL

Seriously though, only a dumb person would use Siri.

Global Posts
    11,084 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Seriously though, only a dumb person would use Siri.
    We get it. You don't like Siri. So don't use it. And for God's sake, stop with the endless twaddle about not using it... smh.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast