I'm putting Siri on hiatus

xtenthusiast714

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Those who have iPhone 4S with Siri disabled, are you waiting for something?

What's the problem, why do you have it disabled?

I'm trying to decide if I'd be okay with disabling Siri until the full product is released.
Siri Is being disabled by many be causes it simply isn't cutting it.
I like many have a service provider who doesn't provide the best reception. let me tell you it gets very annoying when Siri doesn't work properly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I've had it up to here with Siri. It's just not advanced at all. And, I'm just plain done with it.

This could be one of the most asinine things i have ever read. Not advanced at all? Considering there are NO (zero, none, zilch, nada) other companies using digital assistants that are even on the level of Siri shows one thing, that it IS advanced (and considering that it is a very adaptable learning software, it will continue to advance, which is odd for the kind of market that it is in, where most of the companies who control such things would rather you buy a new device with said advancements over furthering the software itself on the older devices until they are simply unable to keep up with the process itself).

I know a lot of people who don't use Siri, my wife is one...she just doesn't have a use for it (but has admitted that she looks forward to when it is more relevant to what she does that it would make easier). It's just not very useful for some people (i happen to use it quite a bit personally, but i may be the majority). Saying the program isn't advanced though is, to be blunt, dumb. It's incredibly advanced, and continues to grow day by day.

Just putting it out there, but your "frustration" with Siri seems awfully dramatic.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This could be one of the most asinine things i have ever read. Not advanced at all? Considering there are NO (zero, none, zilch, nada) other companies using digital assistants that are even on the level of Siri shows one thing, that it IS advanced (and considering that it is a very adaptable learning software, it will continue to advance, which is odd for the kind of market that it is in, where most of the companies who control such things would rather you buy a new device with said advancements over furthering the software itself on the older devices until they are simply unable to keep up with the process itself).

I know a lot of people who don't use Siri, my wife is one...she just doesn't have a use for it (but has admitted that she looks forward to when it is more relevant to what she does that it would make easier). It's just not very useful for some people (i happen to use it quite a bit personally, but i may be the majority). Saying the program isn't advanced though is, to be blunt, dumb. It's incredibly advanced, and continues to grow day by day.

Just putting it out there, but your "frustration" with Siri seems awfully dramatic.

What you just said is hogwash.

Look at this poor girl trying to "talk" to Siri.

Talking To Siri About Suicide - YouTube

No matter what the girl says, with Siri it just does not compute. It had no comprehension of what was said. It's sad.

"Siri" is voice control. It does not "think" it does not "understand" It is not a "virtual assistant." You say a keyword, it activates an app. That's all it does. And that's all it will ever do.

The very thing that would have made Siri interesting is the only thing that the program does not have. So, in essence. Siri is a lie.

I don't know what your definition of advanced is, but there's nothing special about Siri.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
That video is the most asinine thing I've ever seen. Anyone with half a brain can make Siri work just fine... if you look for fail, that is all you will ever find.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
What happened to that "natural speech" they were talking about?

2diewjb.png

Keywords activate apps. It's voice control. Except that it makes you talk more.

I mean, why say what will the weather be like today, when all it hears is, "Weather" ...?? LOL

Seriously though, only a dumb person would use Siri.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
What happened to that "natural speech" they were talking about?

Click to view quoted image

Keywords activate apps. It's voice control. Except that it makes you talk more.

I mean, why say what will the weather be like today, when all it hears is, "Weather" ...?? LOL

Seriously though, only a dumb person would use Siri.

When you told her you had a cold, what'd you expect her to do? Make chicken soup?

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
When you told her you had a cold, what'd you expect her to do? Make chicken soup?

Even if it had just said, "Oh." I just want it to know what I'm saying. You could say "I have a cold" to a 3 year old child, and they'd know what you were talking about.

I say, I have a cold, and it brings up the weather, showing me that this is mere voice control.

Thats why it's not advanced. Oh, and also, it can't tell me what season of the year it is, so it doesn't know that it's summer.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and also, it can't tell me what season of the year it is, so it doesn't know that it's summer.
For cryin' out vulcan loud... if you can't know what season it is without askin a phone, you got more problems than being pizzled about a phone's Siri app not working as you're stratosphericaly unrealistic expectations desire.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
For cryin' out vulcan loud... if you can't know what season it is without askin a phone, you got more problems than being pizzled about a phone's Siri app not working as you're stratosphericaly unrealistic expectations desire.

We ask Siri questions we already know the answer to in order to test its intelligence. It's not at all intelligent. We could say something simple that Siri would not understand.

And my expectations are only as realistic as what Apple would have had us believe. It's supposed to be an artificial intelligence that you can talk to, and it's a virtual assistant.

Not in my book.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
We ask Siri questions we already know the answer to in order to test its intelligence. It's not at all intelligent. We could say something simple that Siri would not understand.

And my expectations are only as realistic as what Apple would have had us believe. It's supposed to be an artificial intelligence that you can talk to, and it's a virtual assistant.

Not in my book.

Star Trek she isn't but she gets the job done for me. I don't expect her to be smarter than me otherwise we are so screwed. I'm also confident that over time, she will be able to do more than she can now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
motoleo...if i asked you how to perform brain surgery on a human being, would you be able to immediately and in detail explain the procedure properly?

Now that you've sat back and admitted that you would not be able to do this, do you consider yourself a non-advanced form of primate? Regardless of what the general consensus of this forum thinks, i would imagine your answer is again "no".

Taking the same stance with a "thinking program" is important to giving a fair assessment as to its abilities. Siri is one of the first widely used digital assistant programs, there are many copies, none of which have come close to ability or fluid functionality...are there limitations? Of course! But the beauty of technology is progressive advancement...and in this case, the speed at which they have molded Siri into a very useful tool is astounding, 5 years ago we were trying to get most phones to send a decent picture to each other, now we talk to our phones, they get us where we need to go, communicate with our loved ones and help pick the restaurant we're going to eat at...while taking receiving phone calls and a zillion other things at the same time.

The fact that Siri can control even a small fraction of what these phones can do in less than a year of availability to the public says two things...

1. Apple has a damn fine piece of technology at their disposal.

and

2. You're an overdramatic forum troll and pretty much everything you post is "hogwash" (as you so eloquently put it earlier)

Have a good day.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
An artificial intelligence that mimics the cognitive thinking abilities of a human is what we were supposed to get. And that's what we must get in order for Siri to be successful.

I could say 'play a song by Yu' But Siri doesn't have the cognitive ability to know that I didn't say you, I said Yu. And if You doesn't show up in my list, then it should look for something that sounds similar to what I said.

As well as why it doesn't understand some artist's names, like Hokaido, or Chiyo. You could ask any reasonable person to find that name in a list just by hearing it.

But Siri is too simple. Like a baby. And I'm tired of talking down to it; trying to make it easy for her. I'm not putting up with it anymore.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
An artificial intelligence that mimics the cognitive thinking abilities of a human is what we were supposed to get.
only in your surrealistic planet motoleo... smh.

But Siri is too simple. Like a baby. And I'm tired of talking down to it; trying to make it easy for her. I'm not putting up with it anymore.
Then don't . And please feel free to cease ranting about it...

Reactions: GingerSnapsBack

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711