I'm putting Siri on hiatus

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Those who have iPhone 4S with Siri disabled, are you waiting for something?

What's the problem, why do you have it disabled?

I'm trying to decide if I'd be okay with disabling Siri until the full product is released.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I just don't use it much. Yesterday I asked it "what do hummingbirds eat?" You could see where it typed out the question properly, and the answer was "I've found 10 restaurants close by." #FAIL

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
smh I understand that.

And I really admired the idea of Siri, but it just doesn't live up to expectations and I feel forced to shut it down. I also don't think Apple will start pushing Siri again until the iPhone 8, ... MAYBE.

:(

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I just don't use it much. Yesterday I asked it "what do hummingbirds eat?" You could see where it typed out the question properly, and the answer was "I've found 10 restaurants close by." #FAIL

Lmao, that IS a total FAIL indeed Alli!! I never use Siri anymore unless it's in my zippy wallet and the home button accidentally gets pushed while my wallet is clutched under my arm LOL.

I'm thiiiiiiiis (---------) close to flipping the switch to OFF myself......

jalba3

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Sprint, and 95% of the time Siri doesn't work because of my network. When I'm on WiFi it works almost perfectly for me. I haven't seen any I can't accept your request lately. I used to see that a lot more during its first months regardless of 3G or WiFi. But I have mine enabled. I see no reason to disable it even if I use it 3-5 times a week

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
The addition of Sports and movies actually didn't entice me. And there was her ability to open apps, but I don't find that necessary, it's actually kind of funny. But I could see that being useful if you were blind.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Don't complain. At least you got 10. Siri only gave me 6 restaurants. :D

6c1021ba-d178-9e77.jpg

Bon appetit!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site

Asking Siri "what do you feed hummingbirds" would have got you a web search for hummingbird feeders and a link to what to feed hummingbirds... just gotta ask the right question :D

SimpleAsItSeems

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is a silly discussion. Siri works for some needs not for others. Why disable it? That's like "I usually wash my dishes by hand so I'm going to also flip the breaker for it. That way I not only don't use it, but also Inconvenience myself more so if I decide to!"

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm on the pro Siri side. Really useful for me as I'm driving a lot and making reminders and sending texts are a life saver to keep my eyes on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bilbothejust

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I find Siri useful for returning short response texts and emails such as "I'm on my way", "I'm out front", "call me" Sometimes my bizz partners just need a conformation I got a text or email and a "Cool" or a "Got it" is enough. I asked Siri what do Hummingbirds consume and got this web search.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
My wife has a 4S and I have a 4. Every time we ask Siri something on her phone, it just wants to do a web search. Really? We could have done that ourselves before now.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This is a silly discussion.
I disagree
Siri works for some needs not for others. Why disable it?
The simple answer is because it is their choice. Everyone will not use Siri in the same manner and Siri will not appeal to everyone or meet everyone's expectations so why have it enabled when you know you're never going to use it?
That's like "I usually wash my dishes by hand so I'm going to also flip the breaker for it. That way I not only don't use it, but also Inconvenience myself more so if I decide to!"
You're assuming that the people who choose to not use Siri will change their minds later. Maybe they will. Still, it is their phone, their choice and their decision. Respect it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I use Siri to send texts, emails, make calls, read me messages when I'm at the gym. Very useful for me :)

When i first got my 4S, I'd use Siri as well if i was driving and needed to respond to a text from one of my kids, BUT i found 99% of the time, Siri would mis-hear what i've said & not realizing it i'd send my msg --- my kids would get back to me and be like, "mom, what the heck were you trying to say?" LOL And I dont have an accent, brogue(at least not that i know of LOL) or any speech impairments. SO thats why i've stopped using Siri for this reason....I just pull over now (like i did in the past with my bb) to respond;):) which doesnt bother me at all and i'm not knocking anyone who does use Siri with success. I'm just pointing out the issue i had with it that stopped me from utilizing it. On a very rare occassion i might use it, but its not often at all anymore.

knightforge

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Vlingo kicks Siri's ass. I wish I could activate Vlingo the same way Siri is activated

Yeah, Vlingo is awesome. I just wish they would implement the incar feature. After Siri was announced last year, Vlingo virtually stopped working on the iOS version and started concentrating all their efforts on Android. The Android incar feature is amazing.