I'm putting Siri on hiatus

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Evidently there are a lot of restaurants serving hummingbirds. Who knew. Entering the same text string into Google resulted in the answer I wanted.

But this is only a single example. I have never been able to send a text with Siri, and half the time my reminders are so off base that I don't save them because they aren't helpful.

TMFoughty

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Siri to reply to text, set reminders, web searches, ect. I will agree that about half the time I am deleting the message and typing it in.

My wife loves it when me and my girlfriend (Siri) argue over what I said.... ;)

noberrynomo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a 4S myself, but have seen it in action. YAWN. My son asked where Disney World was and "she" said "Could not locate Disney World in music library" whatever that meant. It seems like something that's really cool, but does not serve a usefull purpose. Tried another test. Had my friend ask "her" for resturants in our area, and I used an app I have that does the same thing. I had my results and he was asking for the 3rd time. Maybe on the next phone. Maybe (if the pics are close) it is why the speakers / mic look to be changed. With the micro dock, there is more room in the phone for that. Heard that was the reason the 4 didn't (and won't) be getting it. The mic was not up to par. It appears that for now, it is still in the "toy" phase.

MRSBROWN2006

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I use Siri to dial people quickly (live how I can say dial or text my kid, etc). Also use it to set reminders and alarms. The sports and restaurants feature due to be implemented appeal to me as well!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Don't complain. At least you got 10. Siri only gave me 6 restaurants. :D

Click to view quoted image

Bon appetit!! [URL=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-eatdrink021.gif]Click to view quoted image
[/url]

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

19 restaurants!

IMG_24361.png

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Before they gave Siri the ability to know about Sports and Movies, and BEFORE they gave it the ability to open applications

Why not give it the simple ability to READ INCOMING EMAILS???

It can tell you how many you have, but it can't read it??

Thats something simple.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Before they gave Siri the ability to know about Sports and Movies, and BEFORE they gave it the ability to open applications

Why not give it the simple ability to READ INCOMING EMAILS???

It can tell you how many you have, but it can't read it??

Thats something simple.

I don't have her read texts to me because the preview window for the lock screen needs to be on and I don't want people seeing who has texted me and what they say. Fix that and I'll be happy.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
But this is only a single example. I have never been able to send a text with Siri, and half the time my reminders are so off base that I don't save them because they aren't helpful.
Texts and reminders are 2 things that Siri does well for me. I try to give Siri the least amount of words possible but enough to get the task done. For example:

6c1021ba-e36c-1094.jpg

6c1021ba-e377-9e48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

DZD

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I find myself using Siri more and more - one of the handiest features is to ask "How's the traffic" while driving. it not only launches Google Maps with Show Traffic but it sizes the map just right so I can see my entire commute.

I also use the feature to read incoming text messages - it actually works surprisingly well.

I also figured out that if I use Siri with a headset it will read the reminder it created back to me instead of me having to look at it to confirm.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
They said that the secret to Siri is that it understands the context of what you're asking.

Is that a lie? There's plenty of evidence that disproves it. Siri does not actually understand context.

j7azdh.png

SimpleAsItSeems

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I disagree The simple answer is because it is their choice. Everyone will not use Siri in the same manner and Siri will not appeal to everyone or meet everyone's expectations so why have it enabled when you know you're never going to use it? You're assuming that the people who choose to not use Siri will change their minds later. Maybe they will. Still, it is their phone, their choice and their decision. Respect it.

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

I don't see the logic in this. Having Siri enabled has no downfall that I can see in anyway, aside from inability to use Siri. You can't accidentally activate it, it doesn't drain power. Disabling it is nothing more than crippling the phone. HOW MUCH you cripple it depends on personal taste but you are undeniably disabling a feature. Most people on this thread seem to act like disabling Siri will make the folks at Apple say "guys, people aren't using Siri. Nooooooooooo!" Moreso than just not using Siri.

ModeratorOMD

Banned
Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the logic in this. Having Siri enabled has no downfall that I can see in anyway, aside from inability to use Siri. You can't accidentally activate it, it doesn't drain power. Disabling it is nothing more than crippling the phone. HOW MUCH you cripple it depends on personal taste but you are undeniably disabling a feature. Most people on this thread seem to act like disabling Siri will make the folks at Apple say "guys, people aren't using Siri. Nooooooooooo!" Moreso than just not using Siri.

Disabling Siri is an act of solace. To those who have used it, it compensates for the fact that it is not a complete product. Rather than be dragged along for updates, we'll forget about it until Apple re-releases it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The logic is this: It is not for us to decide whether or not individuals who own an iPhone 4S should disable Siri or any other function or feature. Whether or not we agree with their rationale is irrelevant. It is their device. Period! Personally, Siri works well for me and therefore, I keep it enabled, but that's not the case for everyone as noted in this thread. Anyway, thank you for your reply and I hope you're having a safe and pleasant weekend. ;)

Just Me, D
(iPhone 4S)

DomFeeney

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
Well guys Siri works really well for me. It gets better and better and will learn your accent more and more as you use it. It's accuracy has definitely improved for me over time.

If you go to the settings menu to turn it off you get a warning basically stating that your Siri related data is stored on Apples servers and is used to make it work and improve over time. If you switch it offer the data associated to you is erased.

By turning it off you are going back to square one. Surely better to leave it on and use it where you can knowing that with each use it's getting better and better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk