Siri won't add relationships? Here's a tip.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
In a recent iMore article, we were told how to let Siri know about your relationships to your contacts. That way, you could tell Siri to call your mom or wife without having to say their names*.

Unfortunately, some of us have found that Siri will not remember our contacts' relationships to us AND the contact "cards" will not allow us to work around that limitation by manually entering the information. Some suspect that this limitation applies to Exchange contacts. So, here's what I tried to resolve it:

First of all, the relationships need to be added to the phone owner's own contact card (as opposed to going to your Mom's card and saying that you are her son or daughter). If you click Edit and Add Field and aren't allowed to add the relationship that you want to,... Create a duplicate contact for yourself/the user. Be sure it is associated with an Apple or iCloud contact group. Then add the relationships as described. It should allow you to do just that, now.

Once you're done, simply scroll down to link that contact card with your existing one (so you don't have to duplicate the other information or compromise your other contact system). Now Siri will know that those two cards are for the same person (you) and that the relationships indicated on the second card also apply to the first.

Bam. Done. Enjoy.

* - I know, but it's more natural and fewer syllables.

peterthomas

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
A bit long and tricky but will work well for those who has some serious issue in calling the names, otherwise its just normal to call names for once to make a call!

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
A bit long and tricky but will work well for those who has some serious issue in calling the names, otherwise its just normal to call names for once to make a call!

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. It's not long or tricky.

You just have to make sure that it is not an Exchange account apparently.

SarBearSchwartz

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a ton! This worked like a charm for me! I knew if I hunted enough I'd find somebody smarter than me who had already figured it out. I like saying 'call mom'. ;)

cybercho7

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Many weeks before discovering this post, I did the same thing.... and it worked fine until I discovered that setting up my contacts with Google via CalDAV instead if using Exchange allowed Siri to identify me and my relationships perfectly!