Use Siri to access system preferences

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
You can use Siri to access system preferences. All you need to do is create a contact and in the Web site field put the code for the system preference. for example.

Contact name is Bluetooth and the Web address is prefs:root=General&path=Bluetooth

Then activate Siri and say "Bluetooth" the contact card will open with a clickable link right to the Bluetooth settings.

Here are a few other common settings

Sounds: prefs:root=Sounds
Brightness: prefs:root=Brightness
Airplane Mode: prefs:root=Airplane_Mode
Wallpapers: prefs:root=Wallpaper

You can also create contacts to launch apps using the same procedure.

for example:
Create a contact called Youtube and put youtube:// for the URL

Same deal Say Youtube and click the link and the app will open.

EDIT: Added screen shots

Here is the web site i found this info on with more commands IDevice Daily Link

Last edited:

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get to the settings this way, but not to the brightness option. This could be really cool,

EDIT: Tried it with Wi-Fi, and my iphone did a respring...is this safe?

Last edited:

melog69

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
:)Cool post, in my jailbroken 3GS i used to use SBSettings for changing the brightness at night but this helps until either apple allows an app like SBSettings or the 4S is jailbroken

crackercraig#IM

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can use Siri to access system preferences. All you need to do is create a contact and in the Web site field put the code for the system preference. for example.

Contact name is Bluetooth and the Web address is prefs:root=General&path=Bluetooth

Then activate Siri and say "Bluetooth" the contact card will open with a clickable link right to the Bluetooth settings.

Here are a few other common settings

Sounds: prefs:root=Sounds
Brightness: prefs:root=Brightness
Airplane Mode: prefs:root=Airplane_Mode
Wallpapers: prefs:root=Wallpaper

You can also create contacts to launch apps using the same procedure.

for example:
Create a contact called Youtube and put youtube:// for the URL

Same deal Say Youtube and click the link and the app will open.

Nice short cut. Thanks

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I have it setup on my iPhone4s and it works flawlessly.

Mispelled words mess things up evidently.

Just out of curiosity, could you write an address to actually implement a task? (e.g. having two contacts 'Wi-Fi on' and 'Wi-Fi off' that actually activated the option as opposed to bringing up a menu) That'd be ideal.

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you can since you are not sending a call to the app to do something. You are just creating a link to the app setting.

I am sure with a Jailbroken device it is possible, but this works on pure iPhone4s'

benjimen

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't quite work on my 4S, when I say 'bluetooth' or 'show me bluetooth' it shows me where the Bluetooth Sig is located in Seattle. I can however pull up the contact manually and tap the link, which works...

bamf-hacker

Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Doesn't quite work on my 4S, when I say 'bluetooth' or 'show me bluetooth' it shows me where the Bluetooth Sig is located in Seattle. I can however pull up the contact manually and tap the link, which works...

Just change the name on the contact to something else. The name is not important. Call is ToothBlue and see if that works better for you.

FateCreatr

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine did too but it worked fine when i put "Bluetooth" in the last name field instead of the first name field. ultimately I changed it to first name Bluetooth, last name Settings and it works well.

gavla79

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth works great but i changed bluetooth to Wi-Fi and it takes me to Settings/General any iedas
Thanks

forget that figured to it's WIFI and work great

Last edited:
Reactions: fridayxiii

tworth23

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Question Bam

Bam,
What do I need to type in as a contact to get directly to the settings app, where location services are?
When I add location services, it brings me to the usage screen. Any ideas?

gavla79

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Bam,
What do I need to type in as a contact to get directly to the settings app, where location services are?
When I add location services, it brings me to the usage screen. Any ideas?

yep just figured that one out for you

prefs:root=LOCATION_SERVICES

Hope this helps

Gav

tworth23

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks

Thanks guy. I actually figured it out by experimenting!!!

Do you guys think apple with officially allow Siri to access these system settings in the near future? Or ios 6?

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I put in the contact bluetooth and some times it comes up to the general settings with bluetooth on the page and half the time it goes to the general settings page. strange.

prefs:root=general&path=bluetooth is what i used.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711