Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Default Does Siri work with built in car hands free-how?

I love Siri. Unlike other folks, it has worked perfectly for me. It is so much easier to type emails, reminders, etc as well as search. So my question is, Can Siri work with a car's built-in Bluetooth hands free command kit thru the car's speakers? If so, how? (I realize for making hands free calls siri is not necessary since the car's command computer does this anyway).
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    3,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Good question. I am right there with you though. Siri is amazing. I have been using it non stop. It really does make life easier, especially for those that use their iPhone for everything like me. It's my life line. Thank you Apple. Siri is genius and I cant wait to see future updates.

I wish that Siri would read off my texts automatically, thats what I would like to see in an update.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Default It seems to access phone book and make hands free calls

By just playing with Siri in the car, I discovered that if the bluetooth is activated, for Siri will work but you have to hold down the home button. It will not work by placing the phone up to your ear.

In addition, it only seems to be able to make calls. e.g. "call John Smith." However, the nice thing is that it works with your entire contacts list on the phone. I did not have to download my phone book to the car's nav system ( I do not like this option because others who get access to your car might be able to use your phone book) nor was it limited just to the names I programmed into the car's nav system. I was able to call people who are not stored in the car's nav system.

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

For me it seemed to be working with Bluetooth but sort of hard to tell since the phone also has a microphone. I was able to hold down the home button and the bluetooth interface for the car ('08 Camry) popped up and said "Talking" but it didn't dial anything and then I used Siri to send a text message. Siri's voice was coming from the car's speakers.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    For me it seemed to be working with Bluetooth but sort of hard to tell since the phone also has a microphone. I was able to hold down the home button and the bluetooth interface for the car ('08 Camry) popped up and said "Talking" but it didn't dial anything and then I used Siri to send a text message. Siri's voice was coming from the car's speakers.
    Yes, Siri's voice was delivered thru my car's speakers too but it wouldn't send a text message. Only calls.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,708 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

mine will do all of it in the car.... (2011 Grand Cherokee)

I have to tap the Siri button on the phone, but otherwise it still does everything and reads it back through the speakers. Too bad it cant tap into the nav, or get activated by the Car (instead of pressing the home button)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    69 Global Posts

I have a 2008 range rover sport and mine works fine for calls and texts. Also dictates me really well and doesn't miss any words! I do have to hold down the home button though but that's not bad.
    Space Grey 64gb iPhone 5s
    Ipad Air White 32gb Wifi+LTE
    Macbook pro 15" (2010)
    Apple TV2

Also in our house:

White 32gb iPhone 5
    White 16gb iPhone 4s
    iPad Mini 32gb Wifi+LTE
    iPad Mini 16gb Wifi
    Macbook Pro 13"
    Apple TV2(2010)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    190 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Static_FX View Post

I have to tap the Siri button on the phone, but otherwise it still does everything and reads it back through the speakers. Too bad it cant tap into the nav, or get activated by the Car (instead of pressing the home button)
    i figured out it will only make calls with phone held up to ear but when you press the button, it does everything.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

Works fine with my 09 Cobalt just hit the button say Bluetooth voice and it pops right up!
    I use the products that work the best for what I do.

Apple has covered phone, computer and tablet.
    GM has covered everything automotive related.

16GB iPhone 4S
    16GB iPad Mini
    16GB iPad 2
    Macbook PRO 13 i7 2.8 8GB Ram
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts

Works great on my 2012 Audi Q5. On a side note streaming Pandora and other apps now works with ios5. 4 did not stream.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Great question...I have to give it a try next time I'm in my car 2010 Acura
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    797 Global Posts

The newer chevys (as previously mentioned) work just fine by using the "bluetooth>voice" command.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Static_FX View Post

My BMW is the same. I have to activate Siri on the phone. I wish there were a way to activate Siri by pressing the voice/phone button on the steering wheel. Instead this activates the car voice control which is awkward and not much help.
    iPhone Nanite

Default Has anybody tried holding down the call button

I've been wondering if this would work over a car's bluetooth as well. Unfortunately I am still waiting to get my 4S but I was researching this on other websites. Apple's website states that you can activate Siri over bluetooth by holding down the call button but I don't know if that includes a car kit.

From Apple...

Using Siri
    How do I ask Siri something?
    To talk to Siri, hold down the Home button on your iPhone 4S. You’ll hear two quick beeps and see “What can I help you with?” on the screen. Just begin speaking. The microphone icon lights up to let you know that Siri hears you talking. Once you’ve started a dialogue with Siri, tap the microphone icon to talk to it again.

There’s more than one way to talk to Siri. When the screen is on, simply bring iPhone 4S up to your ear. You’ll hear two quick beeps to indicate that Siri is listening to you.

Siri also works with headphones and Bluetooth headsets. When you’re using headphones with a remote and microphone, you can press and hold the center button to talk to Siri. With a Bluetooth headset, press and hold the call button to bring up Siri.
    Last edited by mayerr2; 10-19-2011 at 07:40 PM.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a Jabra Freeway in my car and I found that if I hold down the call button on the Bluetooth unit for a second, Siri will fire up without me having to touch the phone! totally awesome!
    Current Apple Devices : MacBook Pro 13" (i7-2012) | iPhone 5S White 32gb (VZ) | iPad Air 128gb White (VZ) | iPad mini 64gb White WiFi | iPod Classic 160gb | Apple TV | Mac mini (2011)
    Thanked by:
    mayerr2 (10-20-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,607 Global Posts

As indicated by the replies above -- depends on the car. Not all BT systems are the same.
    Thanked by:
    mayerr2 (10-20-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Default Bmw

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    My BMW is the same. I have to activate Siri on the phone. I wish there were a way to activate Siri by pressing the voice/phone button on the steering wheel. Instead this activates the car voice control which is awkward and not much help.
    Im waiting to se when I get the iphone. My droid voice comand only activate threw bluetooth ear peice. the BMW bluetooth olny dail contacts and other BMW commands that have to do with the car.
    iPhone Nanite

Not a built-in but a no go on activating Siri over a Parrot MKI9100 unit.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Works somewhat okay with 2011 Chevy Cruze by pressing the talk button on steering wheel, then using the Bluetooth/voice commands.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    484 Global Posts

Siri works fine with a Motorola T505
    The Woodlands, TX

Palm Pro > PalmIII > Visor Prism w/Omnisky>SPCS Treo300 > SPCS Treo600 > SPCS Treo650 > CNG Treo650 > Copper Treo680 > ATT Treo750 WM6 > iPhone 3G > iPhone 4 (redsn0w) > AT&T iPhone 4S

Current Case: Element Vapor Pro Black Ops Limited Edition with Invisible Shield
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5!

Default Honda Accord 2008

Honda Accord 2008....

Bluetooth works fine for calls, but Siri does not come from car bluetooth and actually freezes because it seems it tried to connect to bluetooth first...so kinda sucks! Try to use Siri in the car since i'm driving and theres always a start delay of a good 30 to 40 secs from the freezing...
    Last edited by JCaetanophoto; 10-26-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Edit
    Original iPad | Sprint iPhone 4S | 13" MBP Mid 2010
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts

Works very well in my car (07 BMW 530xi). The only delay is that after Siri initializes on the phone, the car handles the request as a Bluetooth call, and there is a 2 second lag time. Other than that, if there isn't a ton of background noise, it works.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5

Works fully in my '11 Infinity.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: Does Siri work with built in car hands free-how?

I'm just getting used to my Jabra, but it looks like you can use "VoiceOver" feature to read texts and emails. I've linked the 'Triple Click' home button to turn "VoiceOver" feature on/off. Then go to txt/email and click on paragraph/words - you may need to hold and scroll ... so that's a bit of a pain..
    (Done in Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility shortcut (at bottom of list) > VoiceOver)

Also, figured out you can easily send Hands Free text msg by enabling Siri by holding home button, tell Siri to "send message to Jack mobile", dictate msg and command to send

You may or may not first need to enable phone commands on your Jabra. I did it first time by pushing "Voice" button on Jabra and saying "Phone commands" now it instantly enables Siri voice input.... seems pretty cool so far, I think I'll keep it.

-ST